Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pin light

lane 16's pin light apparently went bad during the day, so the guy replaced the bulb and worked fine. on my shift, it was working then all of a sudden went out. figured a bad bulb, so i replaced it and nothing. tried banging on the light bar to see if it was a possible loose connection, didn't even flicker. it was late so i figured i would work on it in the AM. go in saturday and the first thing i do is turn lane 16 on and the dang thing worked like a charm. so i just walked away thinking it was a possible fluke. later on the lane was used and during that the bulb went out again. had them moved and got to it once i finished a few other things. turned the machine on and it worked. it's almost like something is overheating and causing the light to not turn on. is that even possible? what are some things to check to see what's going on before we replace things at random. thanks!!
    jsebeny1980@gmail.com | jsebeny <--YouTube | Cell: 309-275-2453

Make sure bulb is seated in sockets good, check connections on plug and socket on electrical box, you could have one of the older contactors with a little micro switch on top of it just for pin lite that could be flaky. If none of those, i would open up pin lite and check all connections, and beyond that i would consider a flaky ballast.
    Brent V
    Hi-tech Repairs-Duck tape &amp; ty raps

Comment

Opening the fitting and doing some continuity test might reveal the issue.

Had a bad tombstone cause the same symptoms.
      Factory & Converted A-2 (US, Ger, Jap)
      Comscore ECT, Matrix & DuoHD
      Walker B, Sanction Standard, Original K, Flex Walker & Ikon
      Kegel C.A.T.S

Comment

Originally posted by brentman1 View Post
        Make sure bulb is seated in sockets good, check connections on plug and socket on electrical box, you could have one of the older contactors with a little micro switch on top of it just for pin lite that could be flaky. If none of those, i would open up pin lite and check all connections, and beyond that i would consider a flaky ballast.
        i've tried moving the bulb around and not even a flicker. opened up the box and the 2 connections are in tact and saw no frayed wires. nothing seemed loose up there. i, too, am thinking it's a ballast on it's way out. what contactor with the micro switch for the light are you talking about? saw nothing special in there other than a newer style motor contactor.

Comment

Originally posted by Kanga View Post
          Opening the fitting and doing some continuity test might reveal the issue.

Had a bad tombstone cause the same symptoms.
          i will have the HM try this tomorrow when he's in and see what happens.

thank you both Kanga and Brent for the assistance.

Comment

I think ballest is on the way out

Comment

Before guessing at what is wrong...dig out a meter and take some measurements when the light fails. First, be sure there is voltage at the receptacle going out of the electrical box. Depending on what you find there...your next check is either in the deck light or inside the electrical box. What kind of contactor is in this machine?
              TSM & TSM Training Development
              Main Event Entertainment
              480-620-6758 for help or information

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Stafford (JBEES) View Post
                Before guessing at what is wrong...dig out a meter and take some measurements when the light fails. First, be sure there is voltage at the receptacle going out of the electrical box. Depending on what you find there...your next check is either in the deck light or inside the electrical box. What kind of contactor is in this machine?
                Steve, i know they have the newer universal electrical boxes over there. Many years ago, i had to completely rewire and replace all components in one of them after a friend of mine completely messed it up, and hadn't done what i told him in the 1st place, to replace sockets on 1-2 ball lites on Starshields, they were shorted. Needless to say, he didn't last very long as a mechanic.
                Brent V
                Hi-tech Repairs-Duck tape &amp; ty raps

Comment

If they are jap A2s the wires on the pinlight plug are notorious at coming loose inside the rubber boot , also does it have a starter ? Iwould lean toward loose wire or ballast. also Ihave seen some that the 2 leads other then the ground have been reversed at the plug or where they tie into the pin lamp assy. Had one center wired so wrong that the pinlight would go out and if you pulled the 1 amp fuse the machine would stay running and the light would come on, however the fuse had to be in to start machine. Figured out that the wires was backwards on the pin light plug andwhen pulling the fuse changed the hot lead to the other wire, so the problem was wires was reversed. It was the center from hell!!
                  Last edited by RipOwens; 07-17-2012, 12:47 AM.
                  formerly dunsel
                  ITS NOT HOW MUCH YOU KNOW ITS HOW MUCH YOU CARE!!!!!

Comment

not jap a2 i know that much. like Brent said, they are wired universal. not sure if that's good or bad, but i'd like to rewire boxes someday and keep it simple.

Comment

Sounds like the ballast is going out on it's internal thermal protect. It's getting ready to crap out on you, and when it does it will raise some hell because it get's it's power from the voltage divider on the primary side of the transformer.

The next time it trips, check the ballast and see if it is hot, and I mean HOT, like you can't keep your hand on it! If so, replace it with a non-starter type single tube ballast.

Comment

Better yet, go T8 ballast and bulb.
                        I'm going fishing and camping!

Comment

Trying a bulb when it goes out will tell you if it's the ballast kicking out as it is going bad like wepauls says, and it kicks in/out as it heats/cools. (called a class 'P' ballast = thermally protected).
                          I have an adaptor cable made to plug in the pit light to it (a female twist-lock onone end), and a standard plug on the other end to plug it into the curtain wall to test it.
                          This post is not an unpaid promotion of my business.

Comment

PLEASE DON'T FORGET TO CHECK THE FOR A SHORT UNDER LIGHT MOUNT

Comment

the HM just changed the ballast. ran last night for a bit while i was working and never had a call about the light going out. so i'm assuming it was the ballast.

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                              widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Well this is a first.

We all from time to time have one of those “wow I’ve never seen THAT before” moments. Well today was one of those for me when my night tech texts me to say lane 16 is out...

Ball return wheel guide roller removal.

Hey guys, i could just use a bit of advice trying to get this part out, first time I've had to do one of these. I got it to move a few turns but its come to a point where it has...

Even old mechanics find something new.

All my years working on these things I never had this happen…… until last week. ...

82-90XL Frontend Gearbox Parts - Rebuild Woes

We have 5 of the 088000365 replacement gear kits on the shelf, and I pulled two gearboxes off machines earlier this week, so I thought I'd try my hand at rebuilding them and save...

Prolane damage

Can this be repaired?

LED Ball Lights

Made an LED conversion for A2's and Frameworx masks. It can also be modded for the Harmony masks to accept 2 x 5mm led's and/or a 12v supply. Once I'm happy with the performance/design...
                              Working...
                              X