Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Squeaky ball wheel belts

I have been noticing with quite a few of the ball wheel belts that I have replaced at both centers I service that they tend to make a squeaking sound. It's a little annoying but otherwise ok. I was thinking that maybe the newer ones are a tad bit longer. With the machine off if you pull on the belt on the 7 pin side it wil squeak. Manufacturer issue? One thing I noticed is that when I shoot the pit conveyor inside pulley for the ball wheel with WD40, the noise will go away temporarily.
    My father told me to never get old...I should have listened!

where do you order your belts from?

Comment

try cleaning them with a dry rag only... if doesnt stop try rag and spray belt dressing.clean Pit idler arm pulley that it goes on and the jackshaft pulley maybe some one put some oddball stuff on it.

Comment

I have this problem on some machines that have slowed down ball wheels, but not on others.
        Brent V
        Hi-tech Repairs-Duck tape & ty raps

Comment

I get my belts through Schemm Bowling Supply. The ball wheels are not slowed down. I have tried cleaning it with a dry rag. Will try dressing though. I did notice that the belts have a red marking on them unlike the others from brunswick that have a yellow marking on them. I'll look into it tomorrow.
          My father told me to never get old...I should have listened!

Comment

To stop the squeek, hold a bar of soap on the flat part of your belt.
            I'm going fishing and camping!

Comment

Originally posted by PJ View Post
              To stop the squeek, hold a bar of soap on the flat part of your belt.
              Good idea PJ.

I wonder if Steve's trick of coating the belt with liquid ivory soap would work.

Tim
              Go with what works and not what the book says.

Comment

Check the spring tension on the B/W belt idler arm.
                The smaller B/W belt drive pulley makes the idler arm hang lower, and create less tenion from the original spring.
                You may need to add a little tension back to the idler arm.

Comment

Originally posted by drhookmec View Post
                  Good idea PJ.

I wonder if Steve's trick of coating the belt with liquid ivory soap would work.

Tim
                  My "trick" is not to coat the belt...but to clean the belt with liquid ivory soap. If you apply the soap...be sure to remove it with a dry rag. Tim...you may not have meant to "coat" the belt in your statement...I just wanted any new mechanics that read this to be sure that they don't go out and "coat" the belts with it.

In this application though, I would go with the bar soap as it would be a better choice. I use the liquid soap mostly for the short turret drive belt as it becomes dried out over time.

A squeaking noise from the ball wheel belt and the pit conveyor drive usually means that the belt and pulley are not aligned. Not saying this is your issue...but I would check to be sure the pit drive system is straight so the belt enters properly into the pulley.

Just a thought...
                  Last edited by Steve Stafford (JBEES); 09-09-2012, 02:31 PM.
                  TSM & TSM Training Development
                  Main Event Entertainment
                  480-620-6758 for help or information

Comment

Originally posted by Phil_B View Post
                    I get my belts through Schemm Bowling Supply. The ball wheels are not slowed down. I have tried cleaning it with a dry rag. Will try dressing though. I did notice that the belts have a red marking on .them unlike the others from brunswick that have a yellow marking on them. I'll look into it tomorrow.
                    red lettering is usually a Gates brand belt. i havent purchased A-2 belts in a long time, but when i did, i used the cogged belt from EBN. had great performance from them and found them to stay tacky well over 4 years. and that was four years without any signs of wear or cracks

Comment

The best thing to clean and moisturizer a belt with is the old DOT 4 brake fluid.

Comment

Originally posted by Phil_B View Post
                        I have been noticing with quite a few of the ball wheel belts that I have replaced at both centers I service that they tend to make a squeaking sound. It's a little annoying but otherwise ok. I was thinking that maybe the newer ones are a tad bit longer. With the machine off if you pull on the belt on the 7 pin side it wil squeak. Manufacturer issue? One thing I noticed is that when I shoot the pit conveyor inside pulley for the ball wheel with WD40, the noise will go away temporarily.
                        I have been seeing this same issue..... Been driving me nuts....
                        DO A NEAT CLEAN JOB, AND FIX IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME. THE ONLY WAY TO WORK.

Comment

I think is not the belt but could be just some dry bushings on belt idler arms IE
                          [ motor to elevator , ball wheel , ]
                          best way to check is [ power off ] pull belt and leasing

Comment

I was messing with a pit today and heard a "noise" as the belt turned also. It ended up being the alignment of the pit belt instead of the ball wheel belt.
                            TSM & TSM Training Development
                            Main Event Entertainment
                            480-620-6758 for help or information

Comment

For me it's usually with the fixed shaft (pit idler) variety.
                              Factory & Converted A-2 (US, Ger, Jap)
                              Comscore ECT, Matrix & DuoHD
                              Walker B, Sanction Standard, Original K, Flex Walker & Ikon
                              Kegel C.A.T.S

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                              widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Well this is a first.

We all from time to time have one of those “wow I’ve never seen THAT before” moments. Well today was one of those for me when my night tech texts me to say lane 16 is out...

Ball return wheel guide roller removal.

Hey guys, i could just use a bit of advice trying to get this part out, first time I've had to do one of these. I got it to move a few turns but its come to a point where it has...

Even old mechanics find something new.

All my years working on these things I never had this happen…… until last week. ...

82-90XL Frontend Gearbox Parts - Rebuild Woes

We have 5 of the 088000365 replacement gear kits on the shelf, and I pulled two gearboxes off machines earlier this week, so I thought I'd try my hand at rebuilding them and save...

Prolane damage

Can this be repaired?

LED Ball Lights

Made an LED conversion for A2's and Frameworx masks. It can also be modded for the Harmony masks to accept 2 x 5mm led's and/or a 12v supply. Once I'm happy with the performance/design...
                              Working...
                              X