Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gold Crown Masking Unit

Here are some photos of a Brunswick Gold Crown single masking unit that I refurbished. I stripped off the old orange vinyl skin and used it to make a template for the new green vinyl. All of the white plastic had turned yellow and had to be repainted. Doing that eliminated the translucence of the oval crown backing, which was originally back lit. The metal crown housing has bright LEDs affixed to the back side which will illuminate the oval brighter than the original bulbs. I found some brand new old plastic gold crowns from a friend that had them laying around. There are 3 bright LED arrays inside the crown that will light up red when a strike occurs. All of the pin finder lights and ball lights were converted to 12VDC LED arrays and work from an AC to DC conversion circuit. I had a sign shop make the replica "Brunswick" decal across the top and the white lane numerals.

I hope to have these finished soon and I'll be sure to post photos once they're installed. Nothing says 60's like green and gold!

IMG_2807.JPGIMG_2803.jpgIMG_2805.jpg
    Fusion Bowling
    (904) 318-7206
    (904) 701-BOWL

Great job.

I see you've put the 1st - 2nd ball and 1 -2 pinfinder numbers back where they're supposed to be after the refurbishment.

In the 'original' orange mask, someone had swapped them around.

Comment

Very NIce work Indeed. I may havew to sen you ours that are in Storage and have you re furbish them for my center.

Comment

I'm not sure why someone had swapped the light lenses around. Unless the green 1st ball and orange 2nd ball were harder for some bowlers to see. I also had to bleach the nicotine stains out of the lenses.
        Fusion Bowling
        (904) 318-7206
        (904) 701-BOWL

Comment

It sure was a lucky find to get those crowns as so many had their gold washed off like your originals. That is a beautiful restoration
          70's MP/PBL/LBS,Q-Score
          Prolane Walker sport

Comment

20-some years ago a center near me closed and set their single lane Gold Crowns outside while parting out the place. I'm still kicking myself for not grabbing one or two, but I wasn't sure if that was stealing. That and there's a cop shop across the street. Now a parking lot for St. Luke's hospital sits where Pinky's bowl once stood. (cue "Big Yellow Taxi")

Nice job on the resto.

Comment

Thanks guys. I figured I'd share the rest of the restoration process with everyone as well. I took more photos as I completed the next one so you can see what is involved. I still have enough for 4 more lanes if I ever need them. Total cost was about $300 per masking unit for materials.

As you can see I placed LED light arrays in each of the lamp holders and inside and behind the crown with hot glue. When the lane is turned on, the oval will light up from the LEDs on the back of the crown. When a strike occurs, the crown will light up. The pin lights will light according to the the moving deck switches. I got rid of all the old cable toggles, plunger switches, and pulleys on the deck and replaced them with cherry switches and an electronic controller that I designed and prototyped. You can definitely see the pin lights and 1 & 2 ball lights with those bright LEDs from 60 feet away.

The lower pin light plastic grille was damaged in several places around the edges. You can see where the chipped places were repaired up close but they disappear from 5 feet away. It would be too expensive to have new parts made for it. I did the best I could with the repairs on it using white epoxy after spraying it with semi-gloss white paint. If anyone ever needs advice on rebuilding these masking units let me know.

IMG_1987.jpgIMG_2808.jpgIMG_2810.jpgIMG_2811.jpgIMG_2812.jpgIMG_2813.jpgIMG_2814.jpgIMG_2816.jpgIMG_2817.jpgIMG_2818.jpgIMG_2825.jpgIMG_2819.jpgIMG_1979.jpgIMG_1980.jpgIMG_1981.jpg
              Fusion Bowling
              (904) 318-7206
              (904) 701-BOWL

Comment

Really nice job! I remember seeing those units on eBay. You got that vinyl applied perfectly, and the crown cleaned up really nicely. I'm very impressed. Do you have plans to put these in service, or will you display them in their own right?

Toby
                82-70B, Stepper chassis
                www.mooseexchange.org

Comment

Yes I'll be installing them along with the vintage ball return and score table. I completely restored the vintage items and rebuilt the pinsetters. I'm just waiting on the site to be ready so we can go and put them in. The masking units on ebay are from the same bowling center that I removed these from- Woodmac Lanes in Chicago. I only took 8 lanes worth. Here are some photos of the old Crown Imperial ball return, also from Woodmac Lanes. It matches the masking units and I had the gray base color matched to Brunswick's new dark gray gutters. Also the capping is green with a gray ball track strip. The aluminum foul covers were refinished and the parts on the ball return and score table were re-chromed. I'm using new Brunswick synthetic lanes but it should look pretty cool once it's done.

IMG_2716.jpgIMG_2717.jpgIMG_2718.jpgIMG_2719.jpg
                  Fusion Bowling
                  (904) 318-7206
                  (904) 701-BOWL

Comment

Pardon my language but those ball returns are bada$$

Comment

These bring back some great memories!! Worked for 25 years in a 54 lane center with these. You can check them out at www.youtube.com/watch?v=V87SpNfgOcs. By the way, the over/under ball returns went in the summer before the 1994 WIBC. We had A2's with above ground ball returns, those were the days.....

Comment

Here's the equipment all installed. It came out looking pretty cool.

Photo-2_19_13-3.44.31-AM-18.jpgPhoto-2_19_13-3.44.31-AM-19.jpgPhoto-2_19_13-3.44.31-AM-20.jpgPhoto-2_19_13-3.44.31-AM-22.jpgPhoto-2_19_13-3.44.31-AM-25.jpgPhoto-2_19_13-3.44.31-AM-32.jpgPhoto-2_19_13-3.44.31-AM-34.jpgPhoto-2_19_13-3.44.31-AM-45.jpgPhoto-2_19_13-3.44.31-AM-48.jpg
                        Fusion Bowling
                        (904) 318-7206
                        (904) 701-BOWL

Comment

Great work!

Comment

Wow! Sweet decals on the deck shields too.

Comment

Very nice work. Is that all new construction?

Toby
                              82-70B, Stepper chassis
                              www.mooseexchange.org

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse