Collapse

Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just one more angle on the removal/install of the cam... If you did finally get it off, what was your plan for re-install. DO NOT pound the new one on with a hammer, you will break the 1/4" bolts that hold the inner bearing in place inside the 1:1... I'm with the guys above though, the problem you describe can't be caused from a worn cam.

One other thing that I've seen in the past, check your rake cam follower. Had one once that was slightly bent, making contact with the x-pin located at the top of the scissor cam follower, thus would block the scissor cam follower, not allowing the scissors to fully close.
    Last edited by Ritzmech; 12-10-2014, 01:16 PM.

Comment

I had the same problem on 1or 2 lanes years ago. I added another spring on trip cylinder bracket and never had pins shoot forward since.
      The older the part, the STRONGER it is.

Comment

PJ:Show off. I want one.
        Last edited by hynteidi; 12-10-2014, 06:57 PM. Reason: wanted to reply to a post
        "Penny for your thoughts" and you give them "Your two cents"...... Do they owe you change?

Comment

Thank you all for your info. I will be checking all of those items and thank you Steve for that step-by-step adjustment. It shall be done.
          "Penny for your thoughts" and you give them "Your two cents"...... Do they owe you change?

Comment

Originally posted by hynteidi View Post
            None of us have ever seen the pin shot happen. It is always a random amount/ number pin/s.
            If this means the rake only comes forward too high intermittantly, I don't see how the rake cam timing could be the cause. If it were, it would do it every time. Having said that, it's a great procedure for the adjustment that Steve gave, but don't expect it to solve the problem if it only happens once in a while.

Comment

http://www.harborfreight.com/12-ton-...ler-66657.html
              I have one of these. Check it out.
              (Psalm 37:29) The righteous themselves will possess the earth, And they will reside forever upon it.

Comment

As stated by the other folks I also think that your "shotgun" is opening during the travel back towards the tailplank and sticking there explaining the random pin amounts. To check this therory cycle machine first ball picking up pins and when the rake gets to the 456 line stop the machine LOTO ,pop the shotgun open and proceed to move the machine forward by hand and see if the rake gets stuck behind the tailplank and there lies your answer for that part of the equation.
                70's MP/PBL/LBS,Q-Score
                Prolane Walker sport

Comment

Originally posted by keeth View Post
                  As stated by the other folks I also think that your "shotgun" is opening during the travel back towards the tailplank and sticking there explaining the random pin amounts. To check this theory cycle machine first ball picking up pins and when the rake gets to the 456 line stop the machine LOTO ,pop the shotgun open and proceed to move the machine forward by hand and see if the rake gets stuck behind the tailplank and there lies your answer for that part of the equation.
                  Thank you, I will try that.
                  Update: Finally someone can tell me what they had seen. They explained that while the deck was up and the rake was in 180', back, the pins were released (by the moving deck I assume due to it being on 1st ball) then the rake shot forward with force and shooting all 10 pins. This just happened 30 minutes ago.

Comment

kind of confusing trying to read all this but it sounds like your moving deck/scissor selector on the D shaft in detector is either binding on the shaft or the bearing is worn. I have seen the D shaft bent slightly causing a bind. There is an adjustment up there also that you need to check, it could be blocking out scissor instead of letting it ride cam. I'm gonna try to illustrate from manual and attach. My red number 1 shows where the adjustment is 2 and 3 shows blocking surfaces for moving deck/scissor selection. You may want to go ahead and knock that shaft out and inspect the shaft and everything riding on it if the adjustment isn't the problem. My theory assumes that shotgun is not the problem and your rake cam is adjusted proper like (watch rake travel and see if it rides up or down at any point.) Rake cam adjustment can be a bit tricky sometimes. Cycle machine to 180 and then back clutch up by hand 2 rotations then drop bearing into low dwell of rake cam and watch her run, may have to back clutch rotation step back to 1 rotation or forward 1 to get rake travel right. Honestly with everything considered here ( splitting the cam and all that) i'd prolly just find a used gear box and change that puppy out and use that guy there for parts.
                    Hope my 2 cents helps.detect101.jpg
                    Last edited by Blackdog; 12-21-2014, 10:35 PM.
                    you know we don't allow managers back here....

Comment

Thank you, I will check that.

Comment

Originally posted by hynteidi View Post
                        Thank you, I will try that.
                        Update: Finally someone can tell me what they had seen. They explained that while the deck was up and the rake was in 180', back, the pins were released (by the moving deck I assume due to it being on 1st ball) then the rake shot forward with force and shooting all 10 pins. This just happened 30 minutes ago.
                        Unless that someone was a mechanic who told you what it did, I wouldnt listen to them. IF it did what you said above, releasing the pins at 180 degrees, someone should hear that noise, because when I hear THAT noise (of the pins getting released at 180) I know what it is. Since the rake should be forward when the pins are getting released and its not at times, my guess is a bent bolt in the shotgun causing it to release at times. You could just for some trials, unhook the trip linkage and tape the mousetrap closed and run it that way to see if it happens again. If it doesnt you found the culprit.
                        Have you gone thru Steve rake shaft adjustment step by step?

Marty - Pro Bowl West
                        56 Jap A-2's Qubica VDB's
                        2 Kustodian Walkers
                        http://s1196.photobucket.com/albums/aa408/a2mechanic

Comment

I have seen pins released at 180 then pushed up the lane. It was a case where the genevas were rubbing on the side of the rake arm and produced a worn spot clear thru the rake therby causing the geneva roller to be caught in the worn slot. It caused the deck and rake to hang up long enough to produce the exact same scenerio. Just happened to be in front of machine observing when it happened. It was a regular occourence which is why I was where I was. Moved the deck slightly and it never repeated.
                          rfm

Comment

Update: It ended up being a few things. 1: was worn rake sweep adjustable link ends, 2: worn rake hook with a burr, and 3: incorrectly installed block. So the rake hook would slip off of the block at just after 180' and hit the bottom of the pins. Also performed another gearbox clutch adjustment. All is good now.

Comment

I've had an A-2 do this to me before, but it was a problem with the rake briefly hanging up behind the pindeck or flat gutter.. can't remember which. Rake can was just slightly off.

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                              widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Rake sweeping out of time, and pin launching onto lane.

I work on some nice old Brunswick A-2 pin setters. Most issues I've come across haven't been to problematic to figure out. But being I can't seem to get it to recreate the issue...

Strange sweep problem

I’m a rookie mechanic and have been working on pinsetters for 2 years. One of my lanes has a problem with a sweep possibly coasting. I don’t know what could be causing it...

GSX Distributor shaft bearings

Two part topic:
                              1. Plastic bearing (#66) used in place of regular sealed bearing (#51) -- thoughts?

2. ANY of these bearings with the black support mount...

The Legacy of the A2

I was recently disheartened to learn that a bowling center that I once serviced was actively looking to replace their A2's. I understand that most military bases and educational...

Table turning on short stroke.

Hello dear Bowltech members.
                              First let me say thank you for your time. am plagued by a big issue for three weeks now.
                              our technician is working full time on another...

Another pivot bearing broke.

One and a half year old GSX machines. This will be the 5th pivot bearing that has broke. This one decided to take out a few things with it. Snapped the stroke limiter shock stud...
                              Working...
                              X