Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 208 v electrical problem

has anyone ever had a 1 amp fuse problem. im having trouble finding the short. the machine originally had pin jam (pin under turret frame) went to turn machine back on no power. 1 amp fuse blown. new fuse blows instantly when power is turned back on. any help would be greatly appreciated

Re: 208 v electrical problem

Did you install a slow blow fuse?

Comment

yes i installed a slow blow fuse

Comment

Quote:]Originally posted by jaysen:
        has anyone ever had a 1 amp fuse problem. im having trouble finding the short. the machine originally had pin jam (pin under turret frame) went to turn machine back on no power. 1 amp fuse blown. new fuse blows instantly when power is turned back on. any help would be greatly appreciated[/QUOTE]

Take your meter and check the input and output voltage of the selenium rectifer . There should be around 104+ vac input and 90vdc output +or- 10% , if output voltage is extremely low or has the input voltage at the output replace the rectifer. A alternate check would be to cut or remove one of the input wires to the rectifer and then install the fuse. If the fuse doesn't blow replace the rectifier.

Comment

The 1 AMP fuse controls the rectifier and pin light. (120 volt circuit) dis-connect both of these items separately and turn pinsetter on. If fuse blows on each of these items the transformer is probably bad. This fuse protects the winding in the transformer that provides the neutral for the 120 volt system. Usually the problem is a blown rectifier, bad ballast or grounded wiring on the pin light. Good Luck.

ED.J

Comment

The other possible cause is a bad ballast or wiring to the pin light. If you unplug the pin light, and the machine is fine, problem is in the pin light, ballast, or wiring. The rectifier is the only other cause I know of ... , but 208 machines definitely tap the pin light 110 off the transformer primary:

NEVER, NEVER, NEVER put a slow blow in the 1 amp socket, that cheap-ass $0.25 fuse protects a VERY EXPENSIVE transformer. Find the problem before you have to replace something that's REAL expensive.

Kevin

[ December 27, 2001: Message edited by: KL Kevin ]

Comment

Just a note...the fuse also protects the coil of the motor contactor. If it is shorted, the fuse will blow instantly. Disconnect everything on the high voltage side of your electrical box. As others have mentioned, unplug your deck light, disconnect your rectifier and remove one side of the coil of the motor contactor. Reinstall your fuse and see what happens. If it blows, the only thing left in the circuit is the transformer. If the fuse doesn't blow, reconnect each item you disconnected one at a time and wait for the fuse to blow. When it does, the last item you connected is at fault. Good luck...
              TSM & TSM Training Development
              Main Event Entertainment
              480-620-6758 for help or information

Comment

Sorry for the bad info on a slow blow fuse.
                I was told to install a slow blow when I had problems here.
                AGAIN SORRY FOR THE BAD INFO
                Jim Smith

Comment

thank you for all the help. the problem was a faulty coil on yhe motor contactor.i would like more info on the reason not to use a slow blow fuse in that location ive heard reasons to use a slow blow fuse and ive also heard not to use them
                  again thanks for all the help .

Comment

jaysen

the use of a slo-blo fuse is designed to allow a short, high in-rush of current that is associated with the turning on of certain type of electrical devices. An incandescent bulb or a motor or anything that requires a warm up time to achieve the correct resistance for the circuit to function. In an application such as ours, there is no warm up time for any of the components so using a slo-blo would only allow high current to flow longer through a device before blowing the fuse. That added amount of time can weaken components or begin the melting process of a wire and cause problems later in the life of the component. If you have to use a slo-blo fuse in a circuit that does not require one, that is a sign that you have something wrong and the use of an amprobe or another similar piece of test equipment is needed to find the problem.

Bottom line...if it does not call for a slo-blo fuse - don't use one. I hope this answered your question.
                    Main Event Entertainment

Comment

Steve's reasoning is, as usual, right on target. The designers knew what they were doing, and if it needed a slow-blow, they would have said so.

Apologies for the electrical theory dissertation, but here it is:

Power formula: Watts=Volts*Amps
                      Ohm's law: Voltage=current*resistance

40 watt pin light at 110 volts draws about .36 amps at 110, = .18 amps at 220

Mag clutch coil resistance is typically around 630 ohms, which equals about .4 amps at 90 volts, about .16 amps at 220

Motor contactor coil, I'll take a swag it draws about .2 amps also, probably less, but for the sake of the argument ...

Now we're up to .54 amps, leaving .46 amps at 220 to blow the fuse. That's 101 watts, which is what's left to run the 24 volt stuff. You'd need 4.2 amps of current at 24 volts under normal circumstances to blow the 1 amp fuse. But if that were the case, the 3.2 amp low side fuse would blow first ....

So, that's the story. Some of my numbers may not be 100% correct, but they're close enough. Real world, I've NEVER seen a 1 amp fuse go out for anything other than a legitimate problem, and with the price of transformers for these machines, I'd rather replace 50 fuses, and still be way ahead of the game. That $0.25 cent fuse saved you from a real assache, it did its job:

Kevin

[ December 28, 2001: Message edited by: KL Kevin ]

Comment

KL Kevin makes make a great point.
                        He said he would much rather replace fuses instead of replacing the transformer.
                        BINGO, the fuse is there to protect the transformer.
                        Kevin talks about price, but it also costs TIME to replace a transformer because someone has put in the wrong amp fuse or worse yet has bybassed the fuse holder.
                        Take Kevins and Jbees advice and trouble shoot the circuit with extra fuses handy.
                        Keep dis-connecting things until the fuse does not blow and you have narrowed down your problem.
                        Graham
                        PS. do not let the smoke out of the transformer.

Comment

Smoking transformers...Surgeon General's Warning: Quitting smoking now greatly reduces serious risks to your health...and your transformers. LOL

Just one point...to save on fuses if you are worried about the cost of them...disconnect ALL items then start reconnecting them one at a time until the fuse blows. One fuse used and you know the culprit. Have fun...
                          Main Event Entertainment

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse