Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Modular pin wheels and button replacement

Morning Guys:

The pin wheel buttons in my house (20,000's) are worn to the point where I'm having tons of trouble keeping pins in the wheel. Used to get tons of wiper jams from pins half-way in the wheel. Put the zot retainer kits on, but now i get jams between the wheel and the support for the retainer (pin base in the wheel, head jammed against the lift rods, belly up against the retainer support)

Finally broke down and ordered a modular wheel, so i can pull the old one out and (hopefully) MIG a new set of buttons on and pull them one at a time and replace the buttons.

Anything to watch out for installing the modular wheels?

And has anyone taken this approach (replacing the buttons on the old metal wheels) and how well did it work out, or should I just budget to replace them all with modulars, or does anyone make a good metal wheel these days???

Thanks in advance

Kevin

Re: Modular pin wheels and button replacement

Kevin
    I have had the same problem in the past with pins falling out of pockets and jamming pin guides.I also tried the pin retainers and like you say the pins just jammed in the retainer. I made a bugee cord retainer to help hold pins in,it works well and we have them on all of our 116 brunswick pinsetters.
    If you are interested I can E-mail you kit instructions and picture.I have seen alot of different kinds of retainers but the bungee cord works best because it allows an escape route for pins.

As far as the modular pin wheel I have good reviews on them the only thing is you need to switch the RH and LH upper pin wheel guide roller assembles so that the pockets seems don't all line up on the guide rollers at the same time this causes alot of play in wheel.They include a kit with pin wheel to keep wheel tight,but if you flip-flop the rollers you won't need to install it..

Good Luck
    Peanut

Comment

We replaced all of pinwheels with the modular wheels several years ago. They are holding up great and the lower level of noise is fantastic. They are very easy to install, I love 'em.

Comment

I had the chance to replace 22 of 32 (at 2 a month) of the old 2 piece wheels with the plastic ones. I have had only 1 section break-someone threw a pin at the pinwheel- but besides that I love them and will replace the others when needed. As far as the noise, I have no shop in the back so one weekend the pinchasers actually moved the old 2 piece wheels to the high end of the house and away from the desk that they use because the level of the noise was so much less. Brunswick has a sale running now until the end of Aug. for $299.00 each - one can almost buy 2 plastics for the price of 1 steel one. If you need pinwheels, buy the brunswicks plastics
        marty
        If you really want the metal ones, I am not sure what Brunswick offers in metal but Murrey International is selling the old Quality Bowling ones, not sure of the price they want though

[This message has been edited by marty murphy (edited 07-21-1999).]

Comment

Kevin I have the Plastic Pinwheels in my house and I think they are nice. Never had a problem with them. Nice and easy to install.

Comment

I used the Modular P/W in 2 centers before this one. They work well,as long as you flip the guide rollers as master suggested. I only flipped the R.H. side to keep them from being in the same place on the seams though. His sounds like it may work alittle better.

For the price there is not a better product out there. I'm kinda fortunate, the 40 lane center that I'm at now has 40 Quality one piece P/W's. I'll never have to change out anotherone as long as I'm here, Knock on Wood !!

------------------
            May the FORCE be with you, Always.

Obiwan
            May the FORCE be with you, Always.

ObiWan

Comment

Hey Kevin
              I used to have pin wheel buttons fall off also.
              I would take an allen bolt(the one that mounts the motor mount shaft to the rear frame) and put a locknut on it and use it as a pinwheel button.
              I also made a contraption like the spinning ball eliminator.
              I would take an old rake support arm that had a bolt broken off in it.
              I made a plate and bracket to mount the rake support arm (where the brunswick pin holder kit mounts against the rear guard) so that the part of the arm that normally mounts the rake board now holds in the pins in the pinwheel.
              I then drilled a hole in my home made contraption and inserted a bolt with a jam nut to give an adjustment to the height of the homemade wiper.
              It worked great and was a good use of old parts.
              I know that was not much of a descripition but e-mail me if you have any questions.
              GRAMBO

Comment

K.L.
                As long as the buttons are solid,and you don't have the two piece OSHA wheels, it works well to build a tip of brass with a oxy/ act torch on the very end of the button, easily done, not to dangerous, as far as fire exposure, nor too touchy as how far to build up , easily rounded off. Will work for many years, if you have a tig, simply reconfigure the end of the button. Have had many years success with both methods, much better than alternatives. ie, additional pin wipers
                rfm

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Approach Wear - DBA IQ/Anvilane

Our approach panels have a lot of wear at the joint between the first approach panel and the approach/heads panel. Nearly every one has the printed image worn through to various...

Rake sweeping out of time, and pin launching onto lane.

I work on some nice old Brunswick A-2 pin setters. Most issues I've come across haven't been to problematic to figure out. But being I can't seem to get it to recreate the issue...

Strange sweep problem

I’m a rookie mechanic and have been working on pinsetters for 2 years. One of my lanes has a problem with a sweep possibly coasting. I don’t know what could be causing it...

GSX Distributor shaft bearings

Two part topic:
                1. Plastic bearing (#66) used in place of regular sealed bearing (#51) -- thoughts?

2. ANY of these bearings with the black support mount...

The Legacy of the A2

I was recently disheartened to learn that a bowling center that I once serviced was actively looking to replace their A2's. I understand that most military bases and educational...

Table turning on short stroke.

Hello dear Bowltech members.
                First let me say thank you for your time. am plagued by a big issue for three weeks now.
                our technician is working full time on another...
                Working...
                X