Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• squeeky turret clutch

What do you guys do to stop a squeeky turret clutch? I have 1 machine that emits this ultra-sonic squeel when its idling. I have rebuilt the clutch recently, it has brand new facings (well almost brand new) I also replaced the short belt. I know its the facing that are squeeking, but being the cheap bastard that I am, I don't want to pull them because there is still quite a bit of life left on them.

Thanks for any ideas,
    Jerrid
    and then he said, "on your death bed, you will receive total consciousness" so I got that going for me...... which is nice!

Re: squeeky turret clutch

Jerrid:

That High pitched annoying noise typically comes from the lower clutch pulley being glazed and/or dirty, not from the facings. Easy way to tell which one it is, is that if it's the pulley, the noise will stop while the turret is indexing the first 9 positions (the clutch is still slipping when the basket positions are indexing, it only engages when the Torsion latch is released at the 5 position)

Something to try to reduce it and/or eliminate it:

Take a piece of 600 grit sandpaper. Wrap it around the short belt, with the grit side facing the pulley. Manually index the turret until the paper is trapped between the pulley and the belt, with the turret locked. latch the pin gate and turn the power on, let the machine idle for about 30 seconds or so (sandpaper breaks the glaze on the pulley)

Repeat the process 2-3 times with fresh pieces of sandpaper, then clean the short belt and pulley thoroughly. Annoying noise should be history.

Reducing the tension on the long belt as much as practical helps to reduce the glazing and extend the short belt's life.

Kevin

Comment

When you have your turret clutch out and in shop,clean everything up good and grease bearings ect.Take the large top pulley and use a long bolt and spacer and put it in the drill press and use emory cloth ect and you can smooth any glaze or edges off the mating surface.Also you can do the same with the small lower drive pulley.This will add lotsa life to both.I try to keep my short turret belts replaced ( so they dont also Glaze over) Wire brush em if ya dont wanna buy new ones.And hit them with some belt dressing on a rag dont over do it.I like the large black nylon facings from Quality myself they seem to last foreverand are easy on top pulley compared to the old brass or the brake pad types....Have a nice Day

------------------

Comment

I have to agree with everyone that the noise you are hearing is coming from the lower pulley. I have even gone as far as having the glazing removed by a local machine shop. If doing this, make sure the belt is still riding on the v portion of the pulley and is not bottomed out on the flat at the bottom of the v.
        let me be myself

Comment

Ah yes..that pesky lower pulley.I too sand down the lower pullies to get the glaze off,due to the high lineage the pullies glaze over and look like a mirror by summer time.I also clean off the belt and lower index cam of any crud to help wih the problem when it pops up.Question:do you guys change the short belt every year??I mean...EVERY year??To me..the belts are in real good shape,just need a cleaning off,just seems a waste to change them every year when i have seen centers leave them on for years w/o trouble.Just wondering on that point.

Comment

Why change a perfectly good belt? I leave them on until the first time it causes a multi on the 5 pin cause it's stretched, or visually the amount of stretch looks like it's going to start causing problems.

Pulleys and belt always get a good cleaning as part of the quarterly routine, and change it when the top turret pulley no longer blocks the view of the stop yoke bolt's allen head hole.

Kevin

[This message has been edited by KL Kevin (edited 03-13-2000).]

Comment

Originally posted by KL Kevin
              Jerrid:

That High pitched annoying noise typically comes from the lower clutch pulley being glazed and/or dirty, not from the facings. Easy way to tell which one it is, is that if it's the pulley, the noise will stop while the turret is indexing the first 9 positions (the clutch is still slipping when the basket positions are indexing, it only engages when the Torsion latch is released at the 5 position)

Something to try to reduce it and/or eliminate it:

Take a piece of 600 grit sandpaper. Wrap it around the short belt, with the grit side facing the pulley. Manually index the turret until the paper is trapped between the pulley and the belt, with the turret locked. latch the pin gate and turn the power on, let the machine idle for about 30 seconds or so (sandpaper breaks the glaze on the pulley)

Repeat the process 2-3 times with fresh pieces of sandpaper, then clean the short belt and pulley thoroughly. Annoying noise should be history.

Reducing the tension on the long belt as much as practical helps to reduce the glazing and extend the short belt's life.

Kevin

good tip thanks
              Thank You All! For All the prayers and and the out pouring of good spirits in my time of need greatly appreciated!

Comment

I got all excited for a second and thought Jerrid was back..then I caught the date. [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif[/img]

If any of you see him please tell him I said Hi! [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/143.gif[/img]

Charlie [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img]
                Please buy MADE IN USA!

Comment

will do
                  Thank You All! For All the prayers and and the out pouring of good spirits in my time of need greatly appreciated!

Comment

Originally posted by BT-Jerrid
                    What do you guys do to stop a squeeky turret clutch?
                    Get some liquid Ivory hand soap. Put some on a rag and wipe the short turret belt. Then wipe off the residue with a clean dry rag. This will keep the belt soft and plyable, and will stop or reduce the glazing of the lower pulley. (Liquid Ivory hand soap works better, and the results last longer than any other brand.)

I got this hint from Steve Stafford in a AMF BowlTech class this past May, and it works like a champ.

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                    widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Approach Wear - DBA IQ/Anvilane

Our approach panels have a lot of wear at the joint between the first approach panel and the approach/heads panel. Nearly every one has the printed image worn through to various...

Rake sweeping out of time, and pin launching onto lane.

I work on some nice old Brunswick A-2 pin setters. Most issues I've come across haven't been to problematic to figure out. But being I can't seem to get it to recreate the issue...

Strange sweep problem

I’m a rookie mechanic and have been working on pinsetters for 2 years. One of my lanes has a problem with a sweep possibly coasting. I don’t know what could be causing it...

GSX Distributor shaft bearings

Two part topic:
                    1. Plastic bearing (#66) used in place of regular sealed bearing (#51) -- thoughts?

2. ANY of these bearings with the black support mount...

The Legacy of the A2

I was recently disheartened to learn that a bowling center that I once serviced was actively looking to replace their A2's. I understand that most military bases and educational...

Table turning on short stroke.

Hello dear Bowltech members.
                    First let me say thank you for your time. am plagued by a big issue for three weeks now.
                    our technician is working full time on another...
                    Working...
                    X