Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deck Shifting Cable

Broken cable, pulled the side plate, unwound the spring. Trying to rewind. Replaced cable. Deck shifts too easy. Sring must not be wound enough?

Pins drop through shoots as deck moves down.
    Help.
    DJ

Re: Deck Shifting Cable

DJ sounds like you may have replaced cable with the wrong one. Check cable length and adjust cable length. Good luck.
    Playball2hard
    Treat everyday like it could be your last day!

Comment

Oh re-read posting if you removed both geneva plates than you must rewind moving deck spring 2 1/2 revelotions. Good luck.
      Playball2hard

Comment

DJ:
        Unless removing deck, never take both plates, and cable off at same time. For cable replacment only remove 7 side plate after checking to make sure both geneva rollers are on in ten side plate. As to rewinding spring,- one turn, then reinstall plates with the deck in rearmost position,deck on floor setting pins, to try to rewind it completly and install plates in forward position is dangerous and unnecessary.
        Roscoe
        rfm

Comment

I agree with play's first thought, because if the pins are dropping out of the deck when it shifts, the cable would have to be way loose. Even all the way slacked with the right cable, pins should still be held by spotting fingers until 270.

Quick check: At 0, deck roller should be real close to centered in the bucket opening. If the roller is lining up with the approach side edge of bucket opening, highly likely the wrong cable was installed.

Roscoe: Now I know the easy way to wind spring, Thanx Always did it with a helper to put 7 pin side plate on, held one of the geneva rollers lightly with vise grips. Your way is WAY SAFER!!!

Tip for easy identification of correct cables:

I measured one set to verify the correct cable for each application, then put a set of nails in a vertical 2x4 on the wall over the workbench, each nail at the height where the end of the correct cable would just touch the workbench, wrote cable name and part # next to the nail. Easy to check inventory, and correct cable located by reading legend rather than having to measure ( or trust the part# written on the bag)

Kevin

Comment

Thanks Roscoe for the tip on rewinding! I have only had to do it twice but your way is much safer!
            Playball2hard

Comment

Gentlemen:
              As an aside, only two cables can be mixed up, or interchanged, upper deck and upper sissors, with the upper deck being two inches longer. Thus when a sissors cable is put on for a deck cable, turnbuckle ends up on upper pulleys. all others simply will not work excecpt in intended position.
              Respectfully:
              Roscoe
              rfm

Comment

Thank you for your help..I had the spring wound one and a half turns. The cable was in the wrong position and kept slipping off the pulley.Thanks again for info to correct the problem, and also for tips on organization.
                DJ

[This message has been edited by DJ (edited 03-16-2000).]
                DJ

Comment

When replacing your lower cable I wouldn't take off either side plates.The cable can be replaced without doing that.Stop your machine at 270, setting new pins,pull the cable off the pulley and turn the machine back on and bring it back to zero.Remove the cable tube then remove the x pin from the lower pulley and pull the cable out of the tube. After your new cable is on and the tube is back on bring your machine back to 270 and put your cables back on.The whole proceedure is quick and easy and you don't have to worry about unwinding your spring.

Comment

David:
                    As a matter of interest, one dos'nt even have to go that far, simply bump mch. slightly past zero, pull on turnbuckle to allow rollers to come out of slots, clamp 10 side plate so deck can't move back to slots- R&R cable. Then move deck back into rollers- adj. cable so frt. roller is 1/8" up slot. Run deck to floor shut off to stop pin wobble then turn on and observe that neither buckets nor fingers move pin. Most often 1/8" is dead on. This also places genevas in the 10 degree area of TDC. where no movement of deck is associated with movement of rollers. Same principle as a rod on a crankshaft, from 5 before to 5 after TDC there is no piston movement, the rod simply moves side to side.
                    Roscoe
                    rfm

Comment

Great tip Roscoe,I used to give people the same tip but I had a few mechanics tell me that the control cable had come off when they took the cables off the pulley .They couldn't put it back on at zero and had to drop the machine down to 270 to get the cables back on correctly.

Comment

David:
                        I lightly lock a med size pair of vise grips on center of turn buckle, leave them in place for duration of procedure. The weight prevents cables from coming off.
                        Roscoe
                        rfm

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                        widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Approach Wear - DBA IQ/Anvilane

Our approach panels have a lot of wear at the joint between the first approach panel and the approach/heads panel. Nearly every one has the printed image worn through to various...

Rake sweeping out of time, and pin launching onto lane.

I work on some nice old Brunswick A-2 pin setters. Most issues I've come across haven't been to problematic to figure out. But being I can't seem to get it to recreate the issue...

Strange sweep problem

I’m a rookie mechanic and have been working on pinsetters for 2 years. One of my lanes has a problem with a sweep possibly coasting. I don’t know what could be causing it...

GSX Distributor shaft bearings

Two part topic:
                        1. Plastic bearing (#66) used in place of regular sealed bearing (#51) -- thoughts?

2. ANY of these bearings with the black support mount...

The Legacy of the A2

I was recently disheartened to learn that a bowling center that I once serviced was actively looking to replace their A2's. I understand that most military bases and educational...

Table turning on short stroke.

Hello dear Bowltech members.
                        First let me say thank you for your time. am plagued by a big issue for three weeks now.
                        our technician is working full time on another...
                        Working...
                        X