Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ball damage???

I have a machine that damages ball only at the index finger. It looks like some thing gets right on the edge of hole and cuts into ball. It looks like taking a pointed tool and punching into ball to take a chip out of the ball. I first thought the glue for insert was causing ball to crack out a little. But I had a ball the other day that was new with the same damage as other balls. I have checked ball rods, y switch, tracks, and power lift. so far only complaints is on this lane. Also checked gutters, kick backs, etc. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: ball damage???

Larry, Your post said you have "a" machine causing the problem. I would assume this means the problem only occurs on that one machine. If the problem happens on both machines, then the problem must exist in the commonly shared track or ball lift. If the problem is just on one lane I would start checking the cushion, the pit board, the tail plank,and perhaps the edgeboards of the pindeck. It sounds like the damage is being caused while the ball is moving fairly fast. So I would check the pinsetter with a ball and watch for anything unusual when the ball
    is moving fast.

Happy hunting, billman
    let me be myself

Comment

I am sure you have already thought of this but just in case, make sure the holes are beveled after they are drilled. I usually just hit the with the bevel sander and take the sharp edge off them. A couple of things to check are the rubber mounts coming out of the power lift right at the tray,the allen bolt on the cc and make sure the bolts are not coming up when weight is applied on the flat gutters and all the bolts are tight in the power lift track and the metal track right past the y, the little allen bolts in the metal track can stick up just a little and cause real headaches.
      good luck
      Drill
      Drill

David Bolt
      Champaign, IL
      USBC Silver Coach
      IBPSIA BOD
      IBPSIA Advanced
      Technical Certified
      Pro Shops

Comment

I'd look at the foul line/ball track area of the lane. At times, we all nail down stubborn foul lines and boards. They do work loose, and I've seen cases where the ball impact will push a loose fiber foul line down enough to have the ball hit even a partially submerged nail. Also have seen small "rocks" embedded in the lane which will nick balls intermittently, It'll drive you nuts. But since its only one lane, I'd look at that lane's surface

Kevin

Comment

I had a similiar problem a while back. Only damaging the finger holes. Turns out the lift rods were not adjusted properly. The ball was riding on the edge of the ball wheel. So I figure as the ball was going up the edge of the wheel would cut into the edge of the finger hole. Run a ball up the lift rods and use paper to check as you move the ball to different positions. Good luck, jacks

Comment

Ball damage:
            Worst thing that can happen to a mech. All you can say is gulp, let me go look.
            Obviously you have looked for the pieces of the ball, most cases, where they lay is where the problem is. Been my experience with hole damage, the problem is usually centered around the ball lift clutch, (ie) clutch does not lift ball leaving it set there, with a hole facing an oncoming ball. However just an index finger damage points more to ball transfer on the number one mch, if A/2 style lifts.
            Roscoe
            rfm

Comment

Ball damage:
              Worst thing that can happen to a mech. All you can say is gulp, let me go look.

specailly nowadays with balls that cost more then ever!

Most times it's more cosmetic damage not in track areas but still feel bad that it happens none the less I always try to look at it as it was one of my own personal balls and find the problem before it gets out of hand!

Looking for ball dandruff, pin shavings is never fun but it is also good to keep everything clean so you can find the problem easyier!
              Thank You All! For All the prayers and and the out pouring of good spirits in my time of need greatly appreciated!

Comment

When I would have a ball situation, I would take time at the end of the night to walk down the lane. Check gutters, lane for nails sticking up. Slowly walk down the lane and under the machine. Run your hand over everything feeling for protrusions. Check pit and exit door. Then thru ball return. If everything is fine, and front ball return is ok, then it's time to check underground. If it's just a surface scratch, I tell the bowler..."If you wanted it to look pretty, you should've left it on your mantle at home."
                Failed safety course.Question #1:In case of fire what steps do you take? Apparently 'Friggin long ones!" is the wrong answer.

Comment

I tell em wait till the pro shop guy gets ahold of them the machine was gentle theres a reason for ball shavings all over the pro shop drilling area! but a good pro shop guy can fix it just like new again! with some battle scaring it lets your pins know this ball means buisness anyways let it rip dont worry about the cosmetic scarring it happens to everyones balls unless they never use them!

If you don't want scratches keep it in the box!
                  Thank You All! For All the prayers and and the out pouring of good spirits in my time of need greatly appreciated!

Comment

Back in the early 90's when i was working desk, had a few people come up and complain about a ring of scratches around their fairly new ball. Each time, none of them would believe me when I said that is your TRACK, where the ball rolls. I usually couldn't convince them until I showed them my own bowling balls that had a track on them.
                    * this space left blank intentionally *

Comment

i hate tracking down ball damage. sometimes u can look at it and tell what it cam from. one thing though that did drive me nuts was one lane leaving long scratches on balls from time to time. nothing major, just enough to piss bowlers off. first thing that came to mind was the triangle plate may have been rasied as that is what normally makes that mark. but, lo and behold, there wasn't even a triangle plate on that machine. days later i caught on to that the zot SBE was making contact if the ball came rolling just right from the 10 pin side.
                      the "Shermanator"

Comment

BALL DAMAGE FROM ONE MACHINE Id BE WILLING TO SAY ITs THE ODD MACHINE AS IN 1,3,5,7,9,
                        I HAVE FOUND THAT THE ALIGNMENT OF THE STRATE? TRACK TO BE OFF A HAIR
                        I WOULD CHICK THE FLOWING
                        [1] THE CONDITION OF ROD COVERS AS THY GET OLDER THY GET SPONGY THIS AOWLING? BALL TO GET CLOSER TO CENTER TRACK RAIL
                        TO CHICK STOP BALL NEAR TOP OF ROD AND CHICK CLEARANCE THAR
                        [2] CHECK THE LA NTH OF CENTER RAIL SOME AFTER MARKET PARTS MAY NEED SOME ADJUSTING
                        [ I HAD ONE RAIL WAS 1/2" TWO LONG CUT AND RESHAPED ]

Comment

Also check your corner ball wheel guard.
                          I'm going fishing and camping!

Comment

If you have SBE's check the condition of the rubber, and check to see if the end of the shaft is protruding from under the rubber.
                            There is light at the end of the tunnel - just be sure it is not a train.

Comment

every time i look for the cause of ball damage, i can NEVER find any and it only seems to happen to a single ball every time. it is very frustrating to check the machines and never find anything wrong and after the night it happens, the problem seems to just disappear. weird. i had a customer one time at another center i worked at who ALWAYS complained about everything. his ball got stuck in the back from a pin in the rods and put the smallest mark on his ball and he flipped out on me. upon further inspection of the ball and in the middle of a REALLY bad day, i told the guy "well, there is the problem, your using a AMF ball" the guy said "so". i said "the AMF balls arent compatible with brunswick machines.

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                              widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Well this is a first.

We all from time to time have one of those “wow I’ve never seen THAT before” moments. Well today was one of those for me when my night tech texts me to say lane 16 is out...

Ball return wheel guide roller removal.

Hey guys, i could just use a bit of advice trying to get this part out, first time I've had to do one of these. I got it to move a few turns but its come to a point where it has...

Even old mechanics find something new.

All my years working on these things I never had this happen…… until last week. ...

82-90XL Frontend Gearbox Parts - Rebuild Woes

We have 5 of the 088000365 replacement gear kits on the shelf, and I pulled two gearboxes off machines earlier this week, so I thought I'd try my hand at rebuilding them and save...

Prolane damage

Can this be repaired?

LED Ball Lights

Made an LED conversion for A2's and Frameworx masks. It can also be modded for the Harmony masks to accept 2 x 5mm led's and/or a 12v supply. Once I'm happy with the performance/design...
                              Working...
                              X