Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Machine ID/age & production trivia

Is there a way to determine approximate manufacture/release dates by the serial numbers? As mentioned on another post, we've got 12 machines, 4 of them from 96### to 97###, the rest being J819##. 5~12 are ~old~ as far as I'm concerned, but 1~4 are certifiable antiques, I swear. Any guesses as to their true age?

Also, anyone know how many of these machines were actually produced, total? Just curiosity/trivia there, I guess.
    Oldsmagnet -- Sidney MT

Re: Machine ID/age & production trivia

97,000's are relatively young Can't speak of the other 8, don't know the timing on Jap machines.

While some of the others will fill in the later numbers, i know that my center was put up in 1959, the machines are the originals, and they are 20,200 serial numbers. A center near me in Monroe, NY had 4,000 serials, next time I speak to the owner I'll ask when the center was built, but we don't talk often since the center burned down 2 years ago. It was a great loss to the industry ... the Corrado family ran a super center

RIP Bowl-o-Fun

Kevin

Comment

My machines are 102000's, and they were installed new in 1972. The oldest I have seen in this area (Detroit Metro) are at a 16 lane house that has 1200's and alot of the parts are stamped "otis elevator" instead of Brunswick!

[This message has been edited by A2goldman (edited 10-06-1999).]

Comment

The first center I worked in was built in 69 and the # were in the59,000.
        Digger

------------------

Comment

Aaaaaahhhhh...... I'm starting to see the light here...... Lemme guess, the "J" in the s/n indicates Japanese?

Here I was, guestimating they'd switched to alphanumeric after they ran out of numbers...

Logical, I guess
          Oldsmagnet -- Sidney MT

Comment

Correct, Olds ... the J series are Jap machines ... real fun having two kinds of electrical spares (fuses, contactors, rectifiers, etc) in the same house, Huh??

Come on guys .... someone's gotta have machines older than mine... let's hear it!!

Kevin

Comment

Ok, while mine aren't ancient, they are old. My serial numbers on all 32 machines run from a low of 13,500 up to 14,500.

Yes, the "J" stands for junk....err, Japanese. I had those at the last house I worked at. The serial numbers on those, if i remember right were 90,000+, but not over 100,000.

My pinsetters are the old army green color. I have seen machines that were the battleship grey color, and they werent A-2's. I thought for the longest time that only the A-2's were grey.

Wookie

Comment

All of mine are 699xx's but I do have an extra 26000 and a 12992 the later one was the ugliest green I have ever seen when I got it but after some cleaning it looks just like the rest of them. I hope I never need to put one in, they look just fine sitting in my parts room on stands.
                Drill
                Mine were installed in 1961. What was included in the conversion kit? Mine were field converted by Brunswick but what was included in it?

[This message has been edited by Drillmn300 (edited 10-02-1999).]
                Drill

David Bolt
                Champaign, IL
                USBC Silver Coach
                IBPSIA BOD
                IBPSIA Advanced
                Technical Certified
                Pro Shops

Comment

I have 23k series for 24 lanes & 33k series for 8 lanes. the 23k are green and ugly, but they just keep on running. The 33k are grey, they purr also. Would not trade my oldies for any machine out there, they just keep on going. parts per month are about $300-500. Except for major problems. Oh yes, 23k series were installed in 59 and 33k series installed in 60.

Comment

Kevin,

In regards to machines older than yours I learned Brunswick pinsetters on some old Model A's in the low 2,000 serial number. About 14 years ago a friend and I raided the local children's home bowling lanes in their rec building to add old pins to our collection and yes we found old Brunswick King pins but also found a 6 lane bowling alley that had Brunswick Semi Automatic pinsetters 3 of which didn't work. So we looked them over got them running got them new pins from AMF and then we got on the local news here in Dallas and next thing we know we are getting Brunswick A pinsetters from someone who had seen us on the news. They were pretty scary but they were a lot of fun and we learned a lot they were green had the electrical boxes on the front. Who knows where they were sitting but one of them had an A2 speed pulley on it yikes that was replaced pretty quickly. Anyway the Children's home removed the bowling lanes about 4 years ago and the old A's are in a bowling center in Lewisville Texas (suburb of Dallas) and have had a little change of identity..they were converted to A2's.

Mike

Comment

I have 75,### A-2 I Learned they were Built around the late 1957- 59
                      And they purr I agree I wouldn't change them for anything either

[This message has been edited by Errol Pedersen (edited 11-21-1999).]

Comment

I am sure the center Mike F is reffering to is the new Main Event Bowling center in Lewisville, just of I-35.

Comment

I am VERY curious to learn more about the history behind our machines. The problem is, no one here can help me with any specifics. See, this center was built in the early to mid-'80s, but nothing came brand new. It was the left overs from a center that closed down. When it first reopened down here, there were 24 lanes with model "A"s. In the late '80s, early '90s, the added eight more lanes from another center that closed down. The "new" eight were model A-2s. Well shortly after the eight machines were added, the place went out of business and was taken over by new ownership. So basically, no one around here now, can help me with any specifics on the place and its equiptment. I've been told that the 24 model 'As' are 1959 machines, and that 25-32 are 1963 A-2s. That is all that is known about them. Well since no one else that works here cares to know any more about them, Ive been doing research on my own to find out mroe about them. Well, the eight "A-2" machines are converted. They have deck lowering links rather than the scotch yokes, and they have 2 of the big compression springs on both rake arms (left and right). I heard this is comonly found on 'A's. One thing that I am seeing that is confusing me, is on the 24 'A' machines, they have the shotguns (even though we use electronic triggering in the whole house), some have A-2 gearboxes, and if you look at the deck support arms, they are those of the model A-2 pinsetter. We have both A and A-2 manuals so I am comparing them to what I see in the pictures, and according to the A manual, our A-2 deck arms are those shown in the manual, and opposite for our As. Oh and to top it off, our A-2 machines are the ugly army green color, with teh electrical bowes in front, and the 'A's are all a dark grey color. Electrical boxes in "normal" place. Can anyone help me with an understanding of what machines, in specific, I am looking at here?? I just get bugged by the smallest things and It bugs me that I dont know as much as Id like to about the equipment I work on. It seems that our machines are what I like to consider as Mutts...They have a little of everything in them!

[This message has been edited by Pinhead2 (edited 02-07-2001).]

Comment

Oh yeah and I forgot to ask, what is the difference between the regular A-2 machines, and the Japanese machines?? It sounds like a big one from what I hear...

Comment

Pinhead:

On the back of the cross conveyor, there should be a tag with the serial number on it. the serial number is also stamped into the aluminum on the detector frame. If you post the numbers, we can tell you more about them.

As far as the jap machines go, they were designed to run on jap electricity, the major differences are in the electrical box (different contactors, the fuses are different, others will have more to say on this) Oh yeah, the steel isn't as good either, have heard of deck lift shafts snapping

Kevin

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                              widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Rake sweeping out of time, and pin launching onto lane.

I work on some nice old Brunswick A-2 pin setters. Most issues I've come across haven't been to problematic to figure out. But being I can't seem to get it to recreate the issue...

Strange sweep problem

I’m a rookie mechanic and have been working on pinsetters for 2 years. One of my lanes has a problem with a sweep possibly coasting. I don’t know what could be causing it...

GSX Distributor shaft bearings

Two part topic:
                              1. Plastic bearing (#66) used in place of regular sealed bearing (#51) -- thoughts?

2. ANY of these bearings with the black support mount...

The Legacy of the A2

I was recently disheartened to learn that a bowling center that I once serviced was actively looking to replace their A2's. I understand that most military bases and educational...

Table turning on short stroke.

Hello dear Bowltech members.
                              First let me say thank you for your time. am plagued by a big issue for three weeks now.
                              our technician is working full time on another...

Another pivot bearing broke.

One and a half year old GSX machines. This will be the 5th pivot bearing that has broke. This one decided to take out a few things with it. Snapped the stroke limiter shock stud...
                              Working...
                              X