Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Concenus, most perplexing problems.

Gentlemen:
    Would be interesting to hear what the three most common , yet troublesome problems, new or young mechanics are having, and to be able to give to them the input that is available from this forum
    rfm

Re: Concenus, most perplexing problems.

I know that the area that gave me the most grief in the beginning was lift rods and the adjustments to get balls in and away the first time. More importantly, what to do when the manual doesn't help in that area <evil grin> Where's he going with that beat up old pit shaft????

Reliable operation of the pin gate latch/strap would be my second candidate, I grind and file my straps to get a larger, but still flat, shoulder. Before I started doing this, pin gate straps were just a right PITA ...

Trip pedal adjustments (especially if you still have old latches that don't have a concave surface) can cause probs, too.

Deck height and cable adjustments can be troublesome for new guys... There's OK, where the bowlers don't see them wobble, and then there's dropping a rack that sits dead (where YOU can't see them wobble)

There's my "top four", I'm sure the others will have a few more, but in general, the more times whatever you are talking about has to do its job in a night, the more exposure you have in terms of it causing problems.

Hope this is of some use to you,

Kevin

Comment

While not the most common thing, I'd have to say shorts to ground can be the hardest thing to isolate.

Comment

I would say continous cycle is a rough one for new guys because it could be electrical or mechanical, and getting them to find out where the problem is starting as to if it's elect. or mechanical.

Turret indexing problems would be my next choice, It could be regular indexing or 5 pin indexing, and there are so many things to try and find, and getting them to understand the difference between 5 pin, and regular indexing.

I would also say that ball return problems in the pit area and lift rods, As we all know, the lift rods and ball wheel don't have to be out of adjustment very much to cause a problem. And alot of guys forget about pit frame height, and upper ballwheel guide roller adjustments because they seem to assume that it has to be a lift rod problem.
        Although the lift rods are alot of the problem, If your pit frame is too high, or too low at the rear side, and your ballwheel is out of adjustment, Your Ball return problems will start before the ball ever reaches the lift rods.

Those are a few of the problems I get asked alot of questions about.
        Roger C.

Comment

Ok, here's my Big 3...
          (Not including scoring problems)

1) Turret - Indexing, Not Indexing, Multiple Indexing.

2) Ball Returns - Mainly getting lift-rods satifactorily adjusted after rebuilding, or during a league, when there is multiple calls on a lane or pair.

3) Recycling - Not cycling, or continual cycling. Need to teach in regards to electrical, and mechanical cycling.

Ok, thats another 2 cents worth.
          No wonder I'm always out of cash...heh

Wookie

Comment

1) ball lift rod adj.
            2) ball accelorator tossing drive belts because acc belt is out of adjustment or too much lane oil!
            3) turret multiple indexing.

and the runner up is the lone pin that shows up on the moving deck between the deck chutes just laying there along for the ride.

Comment

Hmmmmm, the 3 most problems for new or young mechs.

Detector adjustments. Especially for out-of-ranges. Quite tricky without throwing one adjustment away from another.

Rake height. Your thinking easy right. Not if everything isnt set right. Pins in channel all the time or rake scraping against deck. Or rake is twisted but not noticeable so it would be the last thing to think of.

And naturally, the turret. If it isnt one thing about it then its another. Basically speaks for itself.

Comment

Me being a chaser I found some pretty preplexing problems in the beggining:

1. A 180 stop and I couldn'y get the pinwheel to start back up again.

2. Trying to lower the deck on a blackout and it won't budge, even with the deck hook being help up.

3. Someone who put a lefthanded spotting finger on the right side. I am sure Mike F knows who I am talking about, it's not him though.

[This message has been edited by TheChaser (edited 12-03-1999).]

Comment

I would say the toughest problem for the younger guys is keeping their minds on their work, and not the college women bowling up front! although I'm a litlle guilty of that myself! lol

Jerrid
                  and then he said, "on your death bed, you will receive total consciousness" so I got that going for me...... which is nice!

Comment

Toughest problems huh hmmmm lets see...turrets indexing,deck jams (had a chute bolt fall down and jam the deck),pin gate latches.Those were trouble spots for me when i first started,but lets not forget that infamous....constant cycle too!Everyone has had their share of problems at first, im sure.

Comment

College Women, YEAH!

Comment

Aside from myself, who else has slipped off the deck light frame while checking out the ladies by looking through the masking units? hahaha!!!! :-)=

Mike Urbanovsky

Comment

I know the feeling of slipping off a deck light, especially when your boss is on the lanes next to them.

Comment

Gentlemen:
                            I am sorry, I have mistaken this forum as a serious way to excange information between mechanics, installers, and pinchasers to futher their asperations and to go on to better things. To degenerate such a site as this, as to talking about what we can see from the back, in looking up college girls skirts, puts me in mind of of the average mentality of the college student. These questions were offered in the most serious vein. To the most serious of people, the mechanics. Don't clutter up this site, mean't for an exchange of helpful information, with an exchange of highschool B.S.
                            rfm

Comment

hey, midwest membr, lighten up, a little humor never hurt anyone. THIS SIGHT HAS VERY GOOD INFO, EVEN FOR US 30YR GUYS. WE DO NOT KNOW EVERYTHING.

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                              widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Rake sweeping out of time, and pin launching onto lane.

I work on some nice old Brunswick A-2 pin setters. Most issues I've come across haven't been to problematic to figure out. But being I can't seem to get it to recreate the issue...

Strange sweep problem

I’m a rookie mechanic and have been working on pinsetters for 2 years. One of my lanes has a problem with a sweep possibly coasting. I don’t know what could be causing it...

GSX Distributor shaft bearings

Two part topic:
                              1. Plastic bearing (#66) used in place of regular sealed bearing (#51) -- thoughts?

2. ANY of these bearings with the black support mount...

The Legacy of the A2

I was recently disheartened to learn that a bowling center that I once serviced was actively looking to replace their A2's. I understand that most military bases and educational...

Table turning on short stroke.

Hello dear Bowltech members.
                              First let me say thank you for your time. am plagued by a big issue for three weeks now.
                              our technician is working full time on another...

Another pivot bearing broke.

One and a half year old GSX machines. This will be the 5th pivot bearing that has broke. This one decided to take out a few things with it. Snapped the stroke limiter shock stud...
                              Working...
                              X