Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1to1

I have a center here in my town that have called me to change 3 1to1 assy. within a 1 month peroid. And every one of them was the keyway on the gear side of the shaft was wore out.Im sure somebody out there has seen this before? I worked at this center for 13 yrs and never seen this problem when I was working there. Also never seen it at the center Im at now. Any comments???

Re: 1to1

Paul:
    Very common problem on high linage mch., especially on mchs. with the original A/2 drive pulleys. The key on the cam side is also prone to wear and breaking between the cam and the rake cam hub. A quite successful repair on gear side can be accomplished by installing a new key and shaft mount locktite, then drill opposite side of the key , straight into both gear and shaft to a depth of 1 1/4 in, with a 3/16 drill bit followed by a Number D drill bit (.2460). Then drive in a standard 1/4 in" dowel pin, available at any mch. tool supply. Gear can still be pulled in case of cover failure
    rfm

Comment

Quite common, I have replaced a couple like that in my center, and have several more that are in the same shape, keyway at the gear worn.

Mike Wilson

[This message has been edited by Mike Wilson (edited 11-11-1999).]
      Mike Wilson
      Bowl-Tech Inc..

Comment

OK I thought somebody would have seen this before.Next question is whats causing this? You had mention about the Pulley on A-2 are you saying maybe to fast?? Tell me more. And yes it is a high linage center.Do you see a pattern as far as age of A-2? These A/Ps were installed in 1983.Only reason I ask this becaues the center Im at were installed in 1972 and they are also high linage,and same speed as far as pulleys.Have not seen this where Im at now.KNOCK on wood...Thanks guys

Comment

Paul:
          Most mechanics feel the A/2 pulley much to hard on gearbox, and replace them with the jet-back pulley, suffering very little loss in time. I'v found when the gears are loose. usually the shaft mikes a little smaller in the unworn position, leading me to question the original press fit. However I don't like to leave one running in this condition because the bolt heads are usually broken and laying along with the lock washers in the bottom of the gear box
          rfm

Comment

Paul:

There is a "jetback" motor pulley that slows the cycle down on a-2s, makes it easier on all the components (1/1 and turret especially). Maybe the house you're in put them on at some point, You'd have to measure the motor pulley diameters with a tape to be sure, difference wouldn't be real obvious to the naked eye unless they were side by side.

The keyway problem is as bad or worse on the field converted jetbacks (an "a" machine with a bigger pulley to make it run faster!). Mine still have the "A" style MD/Scissor cams (the cam was re-designed with a different profile to run smoother at the A-2 speed). The deck shifting to spot new pins on a jetback is more like a SLAM than a shift. I've done 3 1/1's in the last 5 years with bad keyways, and have one that's going to have to come out soon.

The old quality catalogs had the sizes of the three motor pulleys (original "a", jetback, and a-2) listed in them ... writing this from home, will probably edit it later with the diameters of the jetback pulley unless someone else posts the sizes first.

Hope this is of some use to you:

Kevin

Comment

I will check on those pulleys and see what I have and what the other center Im helping out have. I dont think they have A-2 pulley on there machines or mine either for that matter. But I will find out.Thanks again guys.

Comment

Paul,
                In my humble opinion this is where you are going to get wear in the 1:1 Assy if you do proper maintenance. The key is softer material than the gear & shaft for a reason. It becomes our responsibality to get these worn parts out before they create a real problem.

I do agree with Midwest & Kevin that A-2 Speed pulleys on the motor help cause most of this wear. I've worked on A's,(Jet-Back, Zot, Brunswick)conversions, Jap A-2's, & Factory A-2's. The wear in the keyways ia the main gearbox failure. I think that it's that way by design.

I would rather change a complete Assy. once in a while and then replace the keystock, than have to replace a $100 gear.

With only $10,000 a year to spend on A/P, Autoscorer, & Lane maintenace per year you save where you can.

------------------
                May the FORCE be with you, Always.

Obiwan
                May the FORCE be with you, Always.

ObiWan

Comment

The key breaking is a somewhat common pain in the you know what problem.
                  One thing to check though is the condition of your deck jam blackout switch!
                  If the machine does not turn off at the instant of a blackout the best case is the key breaks and not the 1-to-1 assy.
                  You can check your deck jam switch with the tool quality makes or use a large allen wrench.
                  Put the allen wrench against the top of the deck cable tube and force the springs down.
                  The machine should stop immediately.
                  If not it could be a bad microswitch or the contacts on the motor contactor sticking.
                  Since I have talked about safety be sure you do this with the motor unpluged and then notice if the deck light goes out as soon as the switch is opened.
                  I hope this helps solve your problem.

Comment

Grambo:
                    While on the same subject, ie, deck jam switches. If the switch has a yellow boot, it also has the assist spring on it. If it has the original pweter lock rings, replace both the boot, leaving the rings off, with the new softer boot along with the assist spring. I have found that even the yellow boots get hard enough to momentarily prevent the switch from shutting off, even with the assist spring, positioned correctly on the plunger. Indeed have changed many covers, with yellow boots. The new softer covers are a great improvement. Nothing, however, can protect a machine from constant deck jams, owing to the fact, aluminum has a straight bar graph failure rate. It can only be stressed a given amount of times before it fails.
                    Respecfully:
                    Roscoe
                    rfm

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                    widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Well this is a first.

We all from time to time have one of those “wow I’ve never seen THAT before” moments. Well today was one of those for me when my night tech texts me to say lane 16 is out...

Ball return wheel guide roller removal.

Hey guys, i could just use a bit of advice trying to get this part out, first time I've had to do one of these. I got it to move a few turns but its come to a point where it has...

Even old mechanics find something new.

All my years working on these things I never had this happen…… until last week. ...

82-90XL Frontend Gearbox Parts - Rebuild Woes

We have 5 of the 088000365 replacement gear kits on the shelf, and I pulled two gearboxes off machines earlier this week, so I thought I'd try my hand at rebuilding them and save...

Prolane damage

Can this be repaired?

LED Ball Lights

Made an LED conversion for A2's and Frameworx masks. It can also be modded for the Harmony masks to accept 2 x 5mm led's and/or a 12v supply. Once I'm happy with the performance/design...
                    Working...
                    X