Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4-1s

Question...how do you guys decide if a 4-1 is going bad?Do they whine,growel at you?What do you look for before one dies?I have a flex-light that i can see my bronze gear with (pretty much)through the oil fill hole on top.A guy at another place had one lock up on him due to the 4-1.What determines you changing it before it dies??

Re: 4-1s

Nighthawk:
    Run mch to approx. 75-80 degrees on deck hld hook( second ball), shut of mch, unplug power, at this point one can determine gear wear by moving rake crank back and forth by hand, 1/2 in or more, measured at end of crank, means the teeth are pretty thin, 3/4 and I replace them, this will also uncover loose keyways.Make certain the worm shaft is not moving in and out, which will give a false reading
    rfm

Comment

Midwest ....

I like the thought of inspection a lot (4/1 is the only real time bomb in the design, but something has to give in any gear train), But I'd like to hear your logic that it wouldn't actually be best checked at 90 on the hook, since the major stress on the bronze gear would be applied at 90 and 270, when the 2/1 starts to pick the deck up.

If I'm missing the point, please clarify why it would show up more at 75-80 ... maybe the wear leads the actual pick-up point???

Thanx in advance for the explanation

... There's no worse feeling as a brunswick mech than hearing that SNAPSNAPSNAPSNAP, and knowing you're looking at an unplanned allnighter, where there are plenty of slow mornings and afternoons to change out subassemblies

Kevin

[This message has been edited by KL Kevin (edited 11-27-1999).]

Comment

K.L.:
        Actually the most stress or pressure, occurs pulling the rake back and the deck up at the same time. Have found by experience, most of the wear shows up at those paticular degrees, sometimes very little wear at 90, while still exhibiting wear proceeding 90. When a customer calls with a machine locked up I ask them if the rake is halfway back, the deck partway up. Answer usually, yup, then clear off the press, and get out a gear
        Roscoe
        rfm

Comment

That sounds familiar. I remember one of our pinsetters stuck in that position. The GB clutch drive disc (had older brass type facings) was no good. Facings wore down so far it couldn't power GB to lift deck and compress spring tube at same time.
          p.s.
          Are there many gyus who still have those drive pulleys with the brass colored facings?
          Think we have a handful ourselves.
          matt

Comment

hey matty, 3/4 of my machines had those facings, i don't thimk anyone pulled a cluthch in that house for years before i got there because half of the facings were worn out and had dug grooves into the drive disk and the cone. try explaining to an owner that you need to replace 18 clutches
            Conditioner: Pantene Pro-V Brunette Expressions with Color Enhancer
            Cleaner: Fabuloso Spring Fresh with Bleach Alternative
            Cloth: ShamWow!
            Machine: Johnny 5
            Surface: Melamine-impregnated, phenolic-treated, high pressure pressed craft paper

Comment

hey matty, 3/4 of my machines had those facings, i don't thimk anyone pulled a cluthch in that house for years before i got there because half of the facings were worn out and had dug grooves into the drive disk and the cone. try explaining to an owner that you need to replace 18 clutches
              Conditioner: Pantene Pro-V Brunette Expressions with Color Enhancer
              Cleaner: Fabuloso Spring Fresh with Bleach Alternative
              Cloth: ShamWow!
              Machine: Johnny 5
              Surface: Melamine-impregnated, phenolic-treated, high pressure pressed craft paper

Comment

You know all the clutch disc that get grooved out from the brass pulleys can be easily and cheaply cut down at a machine shop just like brake rotors are. I have also had machine shops turn down my pitted out magnetic clutch pulleys.Rather than cause owner to have a **** caniption on ya try looking into this at local auto repair shops or machine shops.....Good luck.

Comment

I totally agreee I been getting my clutch disc and Pinwheel pulleys resurfaced for years.Very inexpensive on the most part and saves company alotta cash over the years that can be applied to my Raise. ...Also the Turret cluch top pulleys can be turned down too..and a good tip if Yens have a drill press.insert alarge bolt through the pulley into drill chuck and lock down the pulley with a jam nut.And use different grades of emory cloth and sand paper to smooth out all the (Not so Bad) ones.Works great guys..or (Ladies)..

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                  widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Well this is a first.

We all from time to time have one of those “wow I’ve never seen THAT before” moments. Well today was one of those for me when my night tech texts me to say lane 16 is out...

Ball return wheel guide roller removal.

Hey guys, i could just use a bit of advice trying to get this part out, first time I've had to do one of these. I got it to move a few turns but its come to a point where it has...

Even old mechanics find something new.

All my years working on these things I never had this happen…… until last week. ...

82-90XL Frontend Gearbox Parts - Rebuild Woes

We have 5 of the 088000365 replacement gear kits on the shelf, and I pulled two gearboxes off machines earlier this week, so I thought I'd try my hand at rebuilding them and save...

Prolane damage

Can this be repaired?

LED Ball Lights

Made an LED conversion for A2's and Frameworx masks. It can also be modded for the Harmony masks to accept 2 x 5mm led's and/or a 12v supply. Once I'm happy with the performance/design...
                  Working...
                  X