Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gearbox

i'm curious about how may mechanics change major gearbox parts (2:1, 1:1, ect.) do you find it easer to change part while in machine or r & r entire gearbox and repair worn part in shop? i have heard some mechanics have a boom (lift) to remove entire assy. from machine. looking forward to your answers.

Re: gearbox

Larry,

I prefer to change assemblies on the machine whenever possible.

As far as pulling the entire gearbox, I have done it with and without the hoist you are refering to. The hoist bolts to the front of the machine on the rake lift shaft, and has an "A" frame that rests on the rear platform, with a sliding winch to raise and remove the gearbox.

I only used the hoist a couple of times. The time and effort involved in setting it up did not justify its use. Getting a couple volenteers to help grunt it up and down is much easier.

Mark

Comment

I just remove the sub-assembly that needs to be worked on and put in my spare. 1/1's about 10 hours for me (alone), 4/1 about 8 hours.

The job of replacing subs is too time consuming already without creating more work pulling the gearbox out, IMO

Kevin

Comment

I have removed several gearboxes and rebuilt assemblies with it out of the machine and on a gearbox stand that I built, but that was only when I had help to lug big bertha up on top of the machine. I used to service 22 different bowling centers on the west coast many years ago and I usually kept an entire gearbox assembly together and ready to go when needed, I'd swap the thing out so the machine is up and running and then take the old one back to my shop and overhaul the entire thing. Yes, it is much faster to change the entire gearbox, but thats only when you have an entire gearbox as a spare. I found that most centers dont have entire gearbox assemblies, they only have sub assemblies. In that case, just change out the sub-assembly on the machine. Removing the entire gearbox just to change any one assembly on it is a waste of time.

[This message has been edited by Charles Heuer (edited 12-08-1999).]

Comment

Gentlemen:
          Last post as mps.
          When bidding an overhaul I allow
          1to1 r/r 3hrs.
          4to1 r/r 2 1/3 hr, inc clutch replacement
          2to1 r/r 45 min.
          These figures, considering a rebuilt unit on hand.
          Would be glad to e-mail anyone procedures to accomplish these times, not withstanding the fact it could be misconstrued, as soliciting business, however urban it might sound
          rfm

Comment

I'm all ears, roscoe ... I don't pretend to be good at changing subassemblies, and getting times like the ones you've mentioned would be excellent ... heck I'd love to do a 1/1 in 6 hours!!!

On a lighter note, I've always been somewhat leery of the guys (house mechanics, not independent technicians) who say they can change subs in record time ... (thinking that maybe they have TOO much experience )

BTW ... don't leave ... you've put a lot of valuable insight into the site, and I for one would consider it our collective loss if you just bowed out, we all get better by learning from each other. I for one have learned several important things from reading your posts, stuff I'd never thought of before.

Kevin

Comment

I few thoughts as I look over this thread.

I have not changed whole gear boxes for rebuild off the machine, the idea apeals to me a bit considering some of the crap I have come accross over the years.

On one of my gear boxes I recently changed out the 1:1 due to a blown keyway on the shaft and gear, the same gear box also has a bad 4:1 keyway and the worm shaft is shot. I would have been real handy to have a whole gearbox to put on it.

I am somewhat picky about gearbox work, I look at it this way, the stuff I have been replacing has lasted 40 years, so I try to make my repairs good enough to last another 40.
              And when you are carefull to make sure its going to last that long it will take more time to finish the job.
              Generaly on a 1:1 I have it and a detector rebuilt ready to go, I clean up the gearbox while I am there, I hate puting new / clean parts on an dirty gearbox.
              and if needed I will even remove gearbox triggering lincages for inspection and cleaning. most of the time they need it.
              I will easily spend 8 hours just on the change out and replacement possibly another hour on fine tuning adjustments and such.

On a 4:1 I might spend 4-5 hours, linkage removal and cleaning is a bit time consuming, but you can usually find a worn pin or bearing that might be causing you periodic problems.

2:1's about 2 1/2 hours.

When I am in a gearbox I am looking everywhere for problems, I fix more than just the assembly I am changing, I try to fix problems that cause the failures.

I get in, do the job once, do it well and get out. its behind me then.

Mike Wilson
              Mike Wilson
              Bowl-Tech Inc..

Comment

I agree with Kevin, Dont need to bail on us Roscoe,

I recently exchanged e-mail with Roscoe, he does mean well, he cares very much for the equipement, and I am sure he does good work. He has been at it longer than I have been alive, so I am sure he has quite a few tricks to share with us.
                Lets all remember we are all in the same racket here, and it sure is nice to have a place to share our ideas, and our ideas are going to be as unique as our personalities, so lets bear with each other a bit.

keep it up !!

Mike Wilson
                Mike Wilson
                Bowl-Tech Inc..

Comment

Roscoe, I to would be interested in your procedures for changing out sub-assembles.....I have changed out quit a few 1:1 and 4:1 only a few 2:1. I know that the more you do the more you can refine or tune your steps. This would be a good place to post any shorcuts or tips on changing assembles.

One tip I picked up from a friend was to use 2 headless bolts as guide bars to hold assy as you move in and out to align teeth,once assy is align start bolts and then remove guide bars.

Be interesting to hear other tips...
                  I will try to post some more later also.
                  Later
                  Peanut
                  Peanut

Comment

Gentlemen:
                    Have no intentions of signing off as a person, only as a business, which upon reflection, having read some critiques, as being offensive to some,and can much agree as to how this came about. I will reregister under my name. Hope I have been clear on my intentions, which was to share and, indeed receive, knowledge from something, I wake up each morning excited about, and eager to participate in, this is truly the best forum for exchange of information I'v ever been involved in, that includes making videos for Brunswick
                    Roscoe
                    rfm

Comment

if there are short-cuts to help shorten the time on any sub assy. i'm interested. i have a few tricks of my own but hey i'll try anything that works. most of us keep busy and a 6-8hr job on a sub assy. just puts something else off for later. i know there is no good time for sub assy work. someone mentioned using bolts for guides to help sub assy., i like that!!!!!!!!!!! 1:1 are heavy, guide bolts sound great!!!!!!!!

Comment

another shortcut?
                        pneumatic tools.
                        a portable compressor, hose, air ratchet, light duty impact wrench and a good set of sockets really speeds up big jobs.
                        on a high linage center where down time is hard to come by, this is a plus.

mike urbanovsky

Comment

I for one enjoy the site alot!! We all have our certain ways and ideas of doing things,but any helpfull information posted is a big plus to me.I have had to learn on my own,have been doing this work for 5 years.The mechanics i worked under had little know-how or just didnt really want to do things but,i for one like to dig in and get dirty..fix it right and not go back and re-fix it again!To me... it's the little things you do and fix that make a differance,it's worked for me!Keep an eye on things,stay ahead of the game and you doing rather well i think.We are all here to give advice and help.That's my input.

Comment

Roscoe,Im glad you havn't given up completely on the forum, your knowlege has helped a lot. All of us here whether we have been on the machines for 30 years or 3 years have something valuable to share with the others.
                            Hell, I thought I had seen and conquored everything servicing 22 centers, but after reading and participating in this site, I now know that I am still learning new things.
                            Your times on changing gearbox sub-assemblies sounds right on. Of course doing things in repitition like you have done and I have done, you get better and faster. I was changing some sort of major gearbox assembly
                            2 to 3 times a month or even more. Most house mechanics might go 2 or 3 years without a major breakdown. Just out of curiosity, Roscoe, do you charge hourly or a flat rate for a particular job ???

Comment

Charles:
                              On overhauls, and or changing assemblies, I flat rate labor, Cost of rebuilt unit dependent of severity of damage to the unit to be removed.
                              After talking to Mr. Wilson I have learned of an forthcoming post outlining r/r procedures involving the gearboxs, so posting mine would be redundent.

While on the subject of gearboxes, I would like to shed lite on something I consider a procedual error, involving removal of a stubborn worm shaft. A video tape on clutch work, available from some manufacturers, illustrates using a hammer on the rake crank to force worm from housing. I feel this is a mistake because thats excactly the position worm wheel teeth are the weakest,

I find it much more effective to remove drive disc from yoke, reinstall on splines, place one of the nuts, (full thread), then use the disc as a slide hammer, to remove shaft.
                              Happy Hoildays
                              Roscoe
                              rfm

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                              widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Rake sweeping out of time, and pin launching onto lane.

I work on some nice old Brunswick A-2 pin setters. Most issues I've come across haven't been to problematic to figure out. But being I can't seem to get it to recreate the issue...

Strange sweep problem

I’m a rookie mechanic and have been working on pinsetters for 2 years. One of my lanes has a problem with a sweep possibly coasting. I don’t know what could be causing it...

GSX Distributor shaft bearings

Two part topic:
                              1. Plastic bearing (#66) used in place of regular sealed bearing (#51) -- thoughts?

2. ANY of these bearings with the black support mount...

The Legacy of the A2

I was recently disheartened to learn that a bowling center that I once serviced was actively looking to replace their A2's. I understand that most military bases and educational...

Table turning on short stroke.

Hello dear Bowltech members.
                              First let me say thank you for your time. am plagued by a big issue for three weeks now.
                              our technician is working full time on another...

Another pivot bearing broke.

One and a half year old GSX machines. This will be the 5th pivot bearing that has broke. This one decided to take out a few things with it. Snapped the stroke limiter shock stud...
                              Working...
                              X