Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pins on spot - ABC regulations???

Anyone have specs for pins being on spot for ABC certification? I mean, most machines will not give a "perfect" rack, and if so, it's rare. With the Bruns, you can adjust the deck so the whole thing sits square, but that doesn't mean others can't wobble around, or set slightly off... Our association here can't decide if having one pin sitting offspot by 1/16th is acceptible or not... I don't think there's much that can be done there, (not too much, at least) and the association agrees, but ABC says it's either a yes or no. How do your houses deal with this? Is it any real problem?
    Oldsmagnet -- Sidney MT

Re: pins on spot - ABC regulations???

Oldsmagnet:

It also says in the bible, never get into a pissing contest with your rep,(pardon the french, but no another word quite as apropos.) ABC allows 1/4 inch of black showing. My advise to you is to use a new set of pins for this, as used pins can be off that much, in either direction, dependent upon how they were set, Be kind to your rep. he can make your life rough, but when the women got involved, things got tuff. God love them, they only want to make certain,that all measurments are within. .000025. I, personally carry a gauge, 1/4 in in width, 32 thousandths thick, which, when touching pin base, with no black showing, on new pins, means it meets requirements irreguardless of whom is reading the scale.
    Roscoe
    rfm

Comment

Perfect, that's exactly what I was looking for. Thanks! Don't worry, it was the reps getting in the pissing contest with themselves over that, cuz they ~know~ there's no singular adjustment for the pins, and that no machine will spot a perfect pin. They just couldn't find the ABC rulings or specs on the subject. Thanks again!
      Oldsmagnet -- Sidney MT

Comment

Roscoe's dead on that 1/4" is the allowed tolerance ... sheesh, your inspectors don't know???

The real deal is the closer the better, reason being that the same shot (identical target, speed, rotation) will carry differently if one rack of the pair is somewhat right or left, or forward or back, than the rack on the other pair.

Spotting Brunswick machines can be a PITA, and the stabilizer bar ends have to be in good shape before you start, but it makes a big difference in how the house scores, I'm kinda pricky about my spotting for that reason.

It's worth the effort to get them as close as possible, because every center wants good scores, and usually after you go through it once, a little tweak on the 2/1 after they cut them is all it takes to keep them right.

Kevin

Comment

I had asked our inspector, what does he look for in a rack to certify it passing? He told me besides the 1/4 inch pin base to pin deck ring gap he looks for spotting of the...1-3-5 pins,if those pins are on the money and the others are close he passes the rack.He does this since there are more right handers than lefties,but i check 1-2-3-5 pins to try and be equal.Each inspector has their own personal ideas.

Comment

Just be like me.... Own a house and I'm the Exc\ecutive Director! Get it close, that should be ok.

Comment

Well KL Kevin & others,

You know its 1/4" and I know it's 1/4"....

But trying to convince the inspector it's 1/4", is another thing altogether....

I went as far as taking a 1/4" drill bit and placing it next to a pin(as a guage) to show the inspectors that there was indeed less than 1/4" of the black dot was showing....

and when they turned it down, I'd just wait a couple of weeks and call for a re-check and Boom.... differant team gets called in (with a differant oppinion altogether).....

Comment

You should ask the association secretary to call Greendale and ask them for a copy of the rule in writing. If the inspectors aren't sure, they should call and ask.

The people I have talked to there have always been willing to answer any question put to them, and have provided written confirmation when I asked for it.

Kevin

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Rake sweeping out of time, and pin launching onto lane.

I work on some nice old Brunswick A-2 pin setters. Most issues I've come across haven't been to problematic to figure out. But being I can't seem to get it to recreate the issue...

Strange sweep problem

I’m a rookie mechanic and have been working on pinsetters for 2 years. One of my lanes has a problem with a sweep possibly coasting. I don’t know what could be causing it...

GSX Distributor shaft bearings

Two part topic:
                1. Plastic bearing (#66) used in place of regular sealed bearing (#51) -- thoughts?

2. ANY of these bearings with the black support mount...

The Legacy of the A2

I was recently disheartened to learn that a bowling center that I once serviced was actively looking to replace their A2's. I understand that most military bases and educational...

Table turning on short stroke.

Hello dear Bowltech members.
                First let me say thank you for your time. am plagued by a big issue for three weeks now.
                our technician is working full time on another...

Another pivot bearing broke.

One and a half year old GSX machines. This will be the 5th pivot bearing that has broke. This one decided to take out a few things with it. Snapped the stroke limiter shock stud...
                Working...
                X