Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• reg.oil/gear oil

Ok boys...whats your preferance? When
    you change you gearbox oil do you use...
    gear oil or regular 10-30 oil?I prefer
    gear oil,slows or stops any tiny
    leaks.We are changing our gearbox oil
    are we not? lol

Re: reg.oil/gear oil

Nighthawk:

I use 10-40 in my 20,000's w/the dashpot time delays, believe that the switch to 90w was made when the electronic TD's came out, cause the thick stuff just won't go through the dashpot right.

Kevin

Comment

I use gear oil, as I have no dashpots. Gearoil in my opinion gives the gearbox better protection with less friction between the worm and bronze gear. As for leaks, I installed baby bottles under the gearbox drip pan, if bottle fills 1/2 full in 30 days I check for problem. Bottles are only 4oz. in size. Some other thoughts???

Comment

Definately Gear oil. I use a Heavy duty
        90/140 made by Dri-Slide. This oil was recommended by BRC and Brunswick many years ago. I havn't seen any more writings on it by Brunswick. But I still use it with no problems. Dri-Slide says that this oil contains Molybdenum Disulfide which tends to settle slightly on the parts.

[This message has been edited by Charles Heuer (edited 01-03-2000).]

Comment

85w 140. converted a2's with dashpot. time delay modules

Comment

Originally posted by Charles Heuer
            Dri-Slide says that this oil contains Molybdenum Disulfide which tends to settle slightly on the parts.
            That was why I stopped using it. Didn't want to take the chance that internal damage would occur over time. I found some of that stuff that leaked out of a couple of seals and it was almost rock hard.
            TSM & TSM Training Development
            Main Event Entertainment
            480-620-6758 for help or information

Comment

Originally posted by KL Kevin
              Nighthawk:

I use 10-40 in my 20,000's w/the dashpot time delays, believe that the switch to 90w was made when the electronic TD's came out, cause the thick stuff just won't go through the dashpot right.

Kevin
              Kevin...I use 80-90W gear oil with dashpots. I have no issues with the oil. I have used it only in the southern states though...Florida, Texas and Arizona.
              Main Event Entertainment

Comment

Steve:

I see someone revived this old thread. I know we discussed this in a different thread, but when your back room temp is in the 40's or 50's, that 90w turns into jell-o.

My wife originally hails from Lake Placid, NY. Took my nissan (stick shift) up there at christmastime one year. It was -25 (yep, 25 BELOW) out. Went out in the morning, shake the stick to be sure it's in neutral, put clutch in, start engine (thought THAT was a minor miracle, but I digress). Let clutch out, motor STALLS. Had to start it again, tach it up to about 2500 and dump the clutch in NEUTRAL to get the transmission oil (goop) to break free.

I can see how it would never cause problems down south, but up here you'd be playing with needles every 6 months. Easier to run the lighter weight stuff ... although the thick stuff is better from the wear perspective.

Comment

90w. gear oil in Texas works well, never tried it with the dashpot however. For the mechs up north do you ever have problems with the rake shocks in cold weather? always wondered.
                  formerly dunsel
                  ITS NOT HOW MUCH YOU KNOW ITS HOW MUCH YOU CARE!!!!!

Comment

Wow...I guess we have discussed it before that statement. 2000...someone dug for this one... [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif[/img] right Mike? LOL

That is why I mentioned the southern states because I remebered we had discussed this somewhere before...or something. [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img]
                    Main Event Entertainment

Comment

MS:

The oil in a shock is much thinner stuff, no prob with them.

Comment

steve, i dug in 250 some odd pages for this thread. just got done changing oil in the boxes and wondered what people used. when you have questions, you search for answers. all hail bowltech! [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

well in the south use g/o 80-90w in the north with hard winters 10-40w

Comment

Why use a multigrade oil in the north? There is not enough heat generated in the gear box to bring it up to the 40 weight viscosity. Run a straight weight oil...like 30 or 40 weight.
                            Main Event Entertainment

Comment

it seems to work better??? tried them both-- well in alaska and montana anyway

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                              widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Well this is a first.

We all from time to time have one of those “wow I’ve never seen THAT before” moments. Well today was one of those for me when my night tech texts me to say lane 16 is out...

Ball return wheel guide roller removal.

Hey guys, i could just use a bit of advice trying to get this part out, first time I've had to do one of these. I got it to move a few turns but its come to a point where it has...

Even old mechanics find something new.

All my years working on these things I never had this happen…… until last week. ...

82-90XL Frontend Gearbox Parts - Rebuild Woes

We have 5 of the 088000365 replacement gear kits on the shelf, and I pulled two gearboxes off machines earlier this week, so I thought I'd try my hand at rebuilding them and save...

Prolane damage

Can this be repaired?

LED Ball Lights

Made an LED conversion for A2's and Frameworx masks. It can also be modded for the Harmony masks to accept 2 x 5mm led's and/or a 12v supply. Once I'm happy with the performance/design...
                              Working...
                              X