Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• custom upgrades to pinsetters.

what have you done to your machines as an add-on? ie.. shadow bowling kits on the detectors, remote msr kill switches that allow the pindeck light to stay on while safely shutting down the motor.

i have seen the 1st item listed and built the second item along with soleoid power on/off switch also. i like to control my electrical items to allow work to be done without completely shutting the machine down. i made a contol panel and mounted it under the catwalks of each machine. i was able to control the main motor by controling the coil side if the ms relay. this allowed me to stop the motor and clear a jam like in the turret or turn-around pan without turning off the deck light causing a delay to the bowler or causing the desk to page a blackout.
    i wired a switch for the crossconveyer switch circuit to shut off the pinwheel clutch to clear jams in the pin guide or pins caught in the ball lift rods. i mainly added it to shut off the motor after i pulled the out of range reset link. this way i could stop the machine at 180 with the deck up on the lowering link so i could clear dead wood. i still allowed the rest of the machine to stay powered to the scorer. the scores we had ( i can't remeber which ones) would always screw up when the machine was turned off & on with the rake down. the scores would add a miss on the bowler's second ball score and cylce the machine, wiping off the spare shot.
    one center had motor timers on them that shut off the motor after 45 seconds after the end of the cycle. what i didn't like was that the switch that restared the motor was mounted on the solenoid/ clutch linkage. this caused the motor to always power back up with it under a load. = premature burned motor windings. i added a second mercury switch to the v levers so the motor started when the rake dropped. this helped the motor and helped exit the ball sooner back to the bowler.

i saw an out of range by-pass kit on the machines at forum bowl in grand praire, texas. the object was to allow the machine to automaticaly clear its own oor cycle without removing dead-wood. it left the pins as they were.

Re: custom upgrades to pinsetters.

Urban,

Wow... you sure do have a lot of gadgets in the electrical dept. We don't have any of your listed items on our A/P's, but we have installed a little shortcut dealing with the deck lights. We run Cosmic Bowling a few times a week, and to save on the mechanic's prep time (and his back), we ran the decklight selector switch to the back of the machine. Using a small right angle piece of aluminum, we mounted a casing for the toggle switch under each catwalk. Although this isn't necessary, it saves a lot of time, and keeps the mechanic from having to walk across the deck lights.

Jay

Comment

hey urban, you think along the samr lines as myself i hate turning machines off unless i have to for the same reasons. my question is how did you make the kit(s) you described especially the motor shut-off kit. would it be possible to get a schematics or something along those lines? thanks, alex
      Conditioner: Pantene Pro-V Brunette Expressions with Color Enhancer
      Cleaner: Fabuloso Spring Fresh with Bleach Alternative
      Cloth: ShamWow!
      Machine: Johnny 5
      Surface: Melamine-impregnated, phenolic-treated, high pressure pressed craft paper

Comment

Shadow bowling kits? Hmmmm...sounds really neat! How can i set this up on my detectors w/o too much work.,i mean...to do this to 64 lanes can be time consuming.,but i love the idea!!

Comment

I'm an AMF mechanic so I don't know all that much about brunswick machines. But, I like your ideas about not shutting off the machines unless it's absolutly nessasary. With AMF machines, you can turn off a certain part of the machine to work on it, rather than the entire machine. Also if you have to crawl in on the pin deck you don't have to shut down the whole machine. For my saftey, anytime I'm in the machine on the pindeck I like to have the sweep down to prevent getting hit by some idiots ball. So what I do, is cycle the machine and turn of the pit, and the table, this leaves the sweep down. There is no need to turn off the sweep switch, since it won't run until the table is up to a certain height. I then leave the master power switch on, which leaves the deck light on.
          Give me a hammer and some duct tape and I can fix it!

Comment

Urban Could you explain the theory in all your electrical gadgets?? Isn,t just as easy to turn off the main power than taking the time to do these electical projects youve done. Do these componets make your A\P's run any better or is it more conveinant for yourself and others?? Just wondering!!!!

Comment

From time to time, I've needed to do this sort of thing. The most useful "trick" I've ever done was simply unplugging the pinsetter motor. (The plug is right next to the cross conveyor, on the bottom of that catwalk deal (not the big wooden catwalk over the back of the machine, but the channel that holds all of the wiring... Gotta be a technical term for it, but I'm not digging for it now

I can then leave the power on, which keeps the light on, but the machine can't cycle or do anything to me. If there are bowlers, yeah I agree, I hate killing off the light, because it's a distraction. But if there's any need for me to be on the floor, the light's off, and the rake's down. I've never been nailed, but I watched a ball fly right by me while respotting a pin. Stupidity is not a discriminatory affliction, league bowlers can contract that illness also. Had one drill the rake last night, never even noticed the out of range... I did... just in time to see the ball nail it... But for maintanence, where I'm not at risk of getting "bowled over" I like having that light on.
              Oldsmagnet -- Sidney MT

Comment

1st off- shadow bowling allows bowlers to throw balls with no pins on the deck. amf machines can do this without cycling the machine. brunswick machines have to cycle to allow ball return.
                all you need is to find the standing pins/strike cycle selector in the top of the detector. when the machine is at 90 degrees, the detector disc's cut-outs allow one or the other to occur. the strike cycle causes the lever in the detector to rise. by adding a blocking finger that bolts to & pivots on the detector, the blocking finger overrides any strike cycle by keeping the standing pins/strike lever down in the standing pins mode.
                what happens is the machine is on 2nd ball.
                bowler rolls ball. the rake then drops when the ball hits the cushion and the cycle starts. the cams in the detector roll around to the 90 degree point and the blocking finger holds the standing pins/strike selector down. this sends the machine into a standing pins cycle, closing the scissors with the deck on the deck holding hook. the rake sweeps, and the deck the goes to respotting height at 270, opening the scissors and the machine then returns to 0 degree in 2nd ball mode. and this happens over and over until the shadow lever is moved out of the way to allow normal operation. this lever can be in the form of a light-duty cabinet brace (corner brace) with the brace cut to fit on one side. what it amounts to is an "L" shaped lever that can be connected to a link rod and the rod mounted next to the out of range reset lever under the catwalk. use a rubber grommet to hold the rod in position so it will not move around with machine vibration. you can activate or de-activate shadow ball by pushing or pulling a lever while standing behind the machine.

so i "amf"-ed my bruswick machines. guilty as charged. it really made things easier.

the reason i built these electrical modifications is to "keep the machine running". as a bowler, i hated to see a light blink while in the middle of my approach. i could only think of what the customers go through. i worked at one place when i was 15 and every single rotten stinking ^%$@!@$%&*&^%# time the deck light went out for whatever reason (turn pan jam, out of range, ect...) the desk would panic and call over the speakers for me to call them at the desk. don't know about you, but climbing out of a machine just to call the desk was a real pain for me. i can see calling if i had to set the machine down for a few minutes to replace a part, but for a routine stop?
                just look in your service manual on the wiring schematics. trace the circuit you want to control. always control the relay side of the load. avoid running the load itself through the switch.
                to control the pinsetter motor:
                remove the main power from the electrical box and remove the cover. locate the motor start relay. locate the wires that are attached to the coil side of the relay. these are the thin wires. disconnect one wire ( it doesn't matter which) and attach your wires from the add-on switch. attach one wire to the disconnected wire and attach the other wire from the switch to the relay terminal that you removed the original wire from. be sure to heat shrink your connections.
                be sure to use the same guage wire as you are splicing in to. do not use cheap switches or wiring. use industrial grade materials. if you are going to attach the new wire to the outside of the wire channel, secure the wire away from the belts.
                NEVER NEVER get "into" the machine without turning off the circuit breaker. ( repair scissors, deck chute, any major repair) this is mainly for temporary stoppage of the machine to clear minor jams or dead wood without completely shutting off the machine.

i have even wired in a "kill switch" for the bowler's reset button. when little kids that are not watched by the parents see that little white button on the ball rack get a little trigger happy.....wham goes the ball into the rake.

if you still don't get what i was after with these add-ons, go spend a few hours talking with an amf tech about this. trust me. this is money well spent.

[This message has been edited by urban (edited 01-30-2000).]

Comment

Urban wrote that we should NEVER NEVER get under the machine unless the circuit breaker is off.
                  This is a great tip but we should do one better and make sure the machine is LOCKED OUT before we do repairs on the machine.
                  It is very easy to unplug the drop cord and install a lockout device.
                  Mike Wilson posted a reply that you could order a device from Graingers that would fit the pinsetter needs.
                  It was grainger part #5T831 from catalog #390 on page 2566
                  I hate to be a pain in the butt on this lockout topic but it only takes an extra few seconds to lock something out and then you are safe and OSHA is off your back.
                  Safe wrenching.
                  grambo

Comment

i get everything you're saying but how do you hook-up the motor timer upgrade? and what materials do you need? thanks, shamefowjze
                    Surface: Melamine-impregnated, phenolic-treated, high pressure pressed craft paper

Comment

i get everything you're saying but how do you hook-up the motor timer upgrade? and what materials do you need? thanks, shamefowjze

Comment

the motor timers were a kit that was purchased through ZOT or DBA ( can't remember which ).

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by urban:
                          BOWL TRONICS OFFERS A PINSETTER MOTOR CONTROLLER WHICH BOLTS ON TO THE ELECTRICAL CHANNEL. THE PINSETTER MOTOR IS PLUGGED INTO THE CONTROLLER. THIS CAN BE TIMED FROM 35 SEC TO 120 SEC. AFTER THE PINSETTER REACHES 0 DEGREES. WHEN THE PINSETTER IS TRIPPED A SWITCH MOUNTED ON THE 4-1 ACTIVATES THE CONTROLLER WHICH STARTS THE MOTOR. THE MOTOR DOES A "SOFT" START BECAUSE THE CONTROLLER CONTROLS THE CURRENT NOT THE VOLTAGE. THIS STARTS THE MOTOR AT ZERO ON THE SINE WAVE WHICH AVOIDS HIGH CURRENT SURGES (TRIAC SWITCHING). WE WERE SURPRISED TO READ 208 VOLTS AT THE PLUG ON THE CONTROLLER IN THE CONTROLLED STATE, BUT WHEN THE MOTOR WAS PLUGGED IN, IT DID NOT RUN UNTIL THE PINSETTER WAS TRIPPED. WE HAVE INSTALLED 44 UNITS IN THE LAST TWO YEARS WITH ONE MOTOR FAILURE. THIS WORKS GREAT WHEN YOU HAVE BIRTHDAY PARTIES, OPEN BOWLING, AND TIME BETWEEN GAMES DURING LEAGUE BOWLING. YOU CAN CALL BOWL TRONICS AT 800 346-3153 AND ASK FOR RIC. HE CAN GIVE YOU MORE INFORMATION AND PRICING.

EDJ

[This message has been edited by EDJ (edited 02-28-2000).]

[This message has been edited by EDJ (edited 02-28-2000).]

Comment

EDJ,
                            How many units do you plan to install?I too am installing a few a month in our centers,we have one house completed and starting on the others 66 out of 158 lanes done.
                            These units are great,we can't beleive how much the machines are on and no one bowling.
                            We didn't really watch it that much until we started this project...well anyway,what is you opinion on the units?I like too because the a/p doesn't start until the first ball is thrown.
                            Later
                            Peanut

[This message has been edited by masternut (edited 02-29-2000).]
                            Peanut

Comment

The only concern I have with the Bowltronics unit is a safety issue, In that you don't really know if the machine is on or not.

Yes, I preach safety to new people, always turn off the breaker, (and pull the big plug when I go underneath), but in the back of my mind, I see it getting some rookie chaser caught.

All the things that are second nature to people in the business for years could go out the window with a new person who's "under the gun" and jumps in w/o thinking.

Otherwise, I like the concept of the unit, seems like it would really cut down on the wear and tear, and virtually eliminate the squealing clutch (my PET PEEVE)

If this particular issue has been addressed recently, please let me know, I'd be interested in them as long as there's POSITIVE indication the machine is on from the back aisle (deck light doesn't count, IMO)

Kevin

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                              widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Well this is a first.

We all from time to time have one of those “wow I’ve never seen THAT before” moments. Well today was one of those for me when my night tech texts me to say lane 16 is out...

Ball return wheel guide roller removal.

Hey guys, i could just use a bit of advice trying to get this part out, first time I've had to do one of these. I got it to move a few turns but its come to a point where it has...

Even old mechanics find something new.

All my years working on these things I never had this happen…… until last week. ...

82-90XL Frontend Gearbox Parts - Rebuild Woes

We have 5 of the 088000365 replacement gear kits on the shelf, and I pulled two gearboxes off machines earlier this week, so I thought I'd try my hand at rebuilding them and save...

Prolane damage

Can this be repaired?

LED Ball Lights

Made an LED conversion for A2's and Frameworx masks. It can also be modded for the Harmony masks to accept 2 x 5mm led's and/or a 12v supply. Once I'm happy with the performance/design...
                              Working...
                              X