Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• scissor cam bolt breaks

I have a machine that likes to break off scissor cam bolts on period of about ever 5 months. I have tried to find this problem but no luck. On the same machine I cannot adjust the moving deck cable enough for the proper adustment. The moving deck will jump forward about half an inch on first ball cycle. I have changed cables but no differance.I must not be looking for the right thing. Any help would be great. Buy the way they are A-2.

Re: scissor cam bolt breaks

do you mean that the bolt that the scissor cam follower pivots on breaks? Or that the bolt that the cam follower bearing is mounted on breaks?

Comment

sorry hit wrong key. Put gear box in 0' and remove plug in 2:1 cover check timing sounds like timing is off.

Comment

Quote:]Originally posted by lloyd:

do you mean that the bolt that the scissor cam follower pivots on breaks? Or that the bolt that the cam follower bearing is mounted on breaks?

[/QUOTE]Its the bolt the scissor cam follower pivots on. Thank you for your reply

Comment

When exactly is the deck coming forward, just when the machine is starting to cycle, or somewhere in the middle? A quick check on the 1/1 timing would be to put the machine in a known position (e.g. 90, by the rake crank) and count number of turns of worm shaft to get scissor cam follower to low dwell, then compare to machine next door, if 1/1 is off a tooth, you'll need several turns more or less to get there.

Other possibilities on deck shift would be bad keyways/keys in 1/1 bull gear or scissor cam, test for play by trying to rock rake cam (to test bull gear keyway) and rock MD/scissor cam to test it's keyways. Also, if bull gear keyway bad, the rake will typically try to submarine into the pindeck when deck shifts to set pins.

As far as the cam follower bolt goes, my thought would be that there's something binding intermittently in the linkage prohibiting the scissors from opening, when the cam trys to open them, the bolt is the weak link and snaps.

When installing the drag links, I always push the pin DOWN in the actuating rod, at the same time pushing the drag link UP and then tighten the allen screw, to keep the pin from being able to creep up and jam against the stationary deck, but normally that will keep the scissors from closing properly.

While on the subject of drag links, a few years back, quality made a drag link out of a machined piece of flat stock, it was a real piece of junk that caused all sorts of scissor binding problems, was designed without sufficient clearance for proper operation, if you have any of those on the machine in question, I'd get rid of them quick.

Sorry about the length of the post, but hope something here is useful

Kevin

Comment

Quote:]Originally posted by KL Kevin:
            When exactly is the deck coming forward, just when the machine is starting to cycle, or somewhere in the middle? A quick check on the 1/1 timing would be to put the machine in a known position (e.g. 90, by the rake crank) and count number of turns of worm shaft to get scissor cam follower to low dwell, then compare to machine next door, if 1/1 is off a tooth, you'll need several turns more or less to get there.

Other possibilities on deck shift would be bad keyways/keys in 1/1 bull gear or scissor cam, test for play by trying to rock rake cam (to test bull gear keyway) and rock MD/scissor cam to test it's keyways. Also, if bull gear keyway bad, the rake will typically try to submarine into the pindeck when deck shifts to set pins.

As far as the cam follower bolt goes, my thought would be that there's something binding intermittently in the linkage prohibiting the scissors from opening, when the cam trys to open them, the bolt is the weak link and snaps.

When installing the drag links, I always push the pin DOWN in the actuating rod, at the same time pushing the drag link UP and then tighten the allen screw, to keep the pin from being able to creep up and jam against the stationary deck, but normally that will keep the scissors from closing properly.

While on the subject of drag links, a few years back, quality made a drag link out of a machined piece of flat stock, it was a real piece of junk that caused all sorts of scissor binding problems, was designed without sufficient clearance for proper operation, if you have any of those on the machine in question, I'd get rid of them quick.

Sorry about the length of the post, but hope something here is useful

Kevin
            [/QUOTE]

Craig thank you I will try and see if your information works.I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Comment

If this is an older 1to1 like in the 60's and the deck is shifting just as it cycles from 'O' but the clutch is adjusted right, there is a possibility that the 1to1 shaft is twisted. This happened a lot on old mach.

Comment

Craig:
                Is the bolt you are referring to, the bolt that holds the rake cam follower bearing to the follower assembly, or the bolt that holds the cam follower assembly to the machine frame?
                On an improperly aligned gearbox, the sissors cam follower can interfere with the rake cam follower.
                Concerning the late deck shift, position gearbox at exactly 90 degrees strike, timing slash on moving deck, sissors cam should be within 3/32 of center of sissors cam follower bearing,( always to the rear of center). If more than that,probably twisted main key, which is quite common on a/2s
                Good luck
                Roscoe
                rfm

Comment

K.L.
                  I'm thinking this is probably the moving deck cam follower shaft retaining bolt, rather than the sissors bolt, which is a 1/2 in bolt- no way is that going to shear or fail. The lock washer will sometimes fail, resulting in torn gears, MDCF shaft bolts present a whole new scenerio.
                  Roscoe
                  rfm

Comment

Hey Roscoe.
                    I think you might be right that it is the moving deck cam follower shaft bolt that is breaking.( Or as we called it "the bitch bolt")
                    It seems to me that the scissors or some of the other linkage would break before shearing off the half inch bolt.
                    If it turns out it was the bolt breaking I would love to hear what was breaking it.
                    Grambo

Comment

Craig:

Please post the ID number of the part that's failing (GBxxx), and where in the machine cycle the deck shifts unexpectedly ... may shed some new light on the problem.

Several other thoughts came to mind after roscoe's last post, but don't want to send you on a snipe hunt, as they don't fit the info you've supplied so far.

Kevin

Comment

Check the Pin that isinthe 1:1 cover assy.That holds the detector mounting plate on to 1:1 the pin by the scissors Flag link maybe coming out and catching Flag and causing this strange problem...:_)There are 3 in the 1 to 1 cover assy.

------------------

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                        widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Approach Wear - DBA IQ/Anvilane

Our approach panels have a lot of wear at the joint between the first approach panel and the approach/heads panel. Nearly every one has the printed image worn through to various...

Rake sweeping out of time, and pin launching onto lane.

I work on some nice old Brunswick A-2 pin setters. Most issues I've come across haven't been to problematic to figure out. But being I can't seem to get it to recreate the issue...

Strange sweep problem

I’m a rookie mechanic and have been working on pinsetters for 2 years. One of my lanes has a problem with a sweep possibly coasting. I don’t know what could be causing it...

GSX Distributor shaft bearings

Two part topic:
                        1. Plastic bearing (#66) used in place of regular sealed bearing (#51) -- thoughts?

2. ANY of these bearings with the black support mount...

The Legacy of the A2

I was recently disheartened to learn that a bowling center that I once serviced was actively looking to replace their A2's. I understand that most military bases and educational...

Table turning on short stroke.

Hello dear Bowltech members.
                        First let me say thank you for your time. am plagued by a big issue for three weeks now.
                        our technician is working full time on another...
                        Working...
                        X