Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• installing rod cover

I would like to know what you guys use to install new rod cover. Please specify what type of cover you use and what is used to make the rubber or urethane cover slide on easier. I have used various things, but curious to what is used out there.

Re: installing rod cover

i use an air fitting that i made out of a "lower ball wheel guide roller shaft" the kind that bolts on. i'll give you a part # if you'd like. what i did was this, i welded a female air fitting to the end of the stud. this is the best thing i've used yet. i've tried the Quality air fitting and that thing is a piece of #@*%!!!! anyways use baby powder and lots of air. and if the lift rod covers look like there going to pop.....run like hell.lol. i just takes air, baby powder and some muscle. good luck. shame
    Conditioner: Pantene Pro-V Brunette Expressions with Color Enhancer
    Cleaner: Fabuloso Spring Fresh with Bleach Alternative
    Cloth: ShamWow!
    Machine: Johnny 5
    Surface: Melamine-impregnated, phenolic-treated, high pressure pressed craft paper

Comment

I use they blue urethane rod covers and they slip right on.

Drill
      Drill

David Bolt
      Champaign, IL
      USBC Silver Coach
      IBPSIA BOD
      IBPSIA Advanced
      Technical Certified
      Pro Shops

Comment

I have been using Murrey's rod cover since 9/98 and have found it much better than their previous style. I use a standard air blowing tool and hose clamp it to the lift rod cover. Pour some baby powder into the buisness end of the cover and get it started on the lift rods. Apply some air and begin working it around the top corner. From here if it is on the machine...you will have to musle it. I usually take them off the machine and put them on the floor with them in front of me while I'm sitting in front of them. Apply air and pull the hose toward you. Just keep pulling and you will be surprised how easy it will go on...

Steve
        TSM & TSM Training Development
        Main Event Entertainment
        480-620-6758 for help or information

Comment

I use both the red cover and the original gum rubber. As everyone said use of air is a must. I just use a hose clamp around the cover and clamp to hose. Also I used to use baby powder, work great with original cover but had trouble with the red stuff. Brake fluid works like a champ on both.

Comment

I also use air to install rod cover. Baby powder is a must, but be sure to use a brand name and not the generic type. The off brands contain less talc which is the slip agent. I use both the red and the tan rod cover. I am surprised that know one has call the rod cover by it's nickname yet. I am refering to a part of a horse. lol

billman
            let me be myself

Comment

I use the red brunswick rod cover ,last much longer then the original white cover.We clean the rod up with cleaner and a green pad
              to make sure all the old rubber is off and then we spray the rods and spray inside the hose with the general purpose cleaner we use,its similiar to 409 that you can buy at the grocery store.With the help of a little air the rods covers will slip on easily and after the cleaner dries it stays tight on the rods so they dont twist or walk up or down the rods as much.They still will sometimes get under the caps but not near as much as when we used powder.Biggest problem is it hard to twist the rod cover if you want to rotate them to balance out the wear on the rod covers.

[This message has been edited by David Johnson (edited 05-20-2000).]

[This message has been edited by David Johnson (edited 05-20-2000).]

Comment

LARRY, ARE YOU TRYING TO PUT ON GUM RUBBER OR URETHANE COVERS ? IN THE DAYS I HAD GUM RUBBER IN MY CENTER I PUT THEM ON WITH GOOD OLD BABY POWDER. BUT I WILL LET YOU KNOW I HAVE REPLACED ALL 32 MACHINES WITH RED VANTAGE LIFT ROD COVER AND USED SLICK 50 TO PUT THEM ON WITH. THE FIRST ONE I PUT ON IN DECEMBER OF 96 HAS SHOWN NO WEAR OR TEARING WHATSOEVER.EXCEPT I FOUND IF YOU PUT THEM ON PER THIER INSTUCTIONS THEY SPLIT AT THE CURVES OF THE LIFT RODS,SO I JUST USED ALL THE BALL LIFT ROD CAPS AND I HAVNT HAD ONE OUT OF ALL 32 DONE GIVE ME ANY PROBLEMS.
                Its just a matter of time until something will go wrong.

Comment

Just make sure when you cut off all the old cover you clean all of the gum off of the metal before attempting to slide new cover on
                  it goes on a hell of a lot easier. I use something strong like acetone or astrolane cleaner, then the old fashioned way of air and baby powder to put them on. Have fun

Comment

I use the Red covers and jut like every one else... baby poweder and an air compressor. it makes things heaps easyer if you've got an extra set of hands... then you can sit back and hold the air gun while they guide the cover on to the lift rods!!
                    works wonders!! lol

------------------
                    Tech

Comment

Air hose and tire talc. PJ
                      I'm going fishing and camping!

Comment

Hi
                        well the center i work at in Sydney Australia we use of course compressed air and also have found that high grade brake fluid works brilliantly the brake fluid dries and doesnt break down the rubber and makes the cover slide on so easily its GREAT oh well u guys may do it different but each to thier own hey fellas byeee

Comment

I just got one of the new Quality Rod Cover installation tools. Works great (a little pricey though). It is pictured in the "Tool Cabinet" on the front page of Bowltech. I use the Brunswick Red Rubber Rod Cover (say that fast a few times)....
                          JS

Comment

Years ago, they used to tell us to use dish soap to lube the rods so the cover would slide easier. Geez.... It worked, but would rust the rods and you couldnt turn the covers when they started to wear. We use powder now and built a little fixture with a water type valve and a small nipple that you could hose-clamp the end of the roll to. Also, we built a little stand using a shaft that fits through the hole in the clapper box. it keeps it up off the floor and allows us to spin the lift rod assembly around to make it a little easier. The brake fluid idea sounds interesting. They told us in Brunswick school that brake fluid lubricates rubber....
                            41 years and still learning....
                            lanedoctor@hotmail.com

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                            widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Rake sweeping out of time, and pin launching onto lane.

I work on some nice old Brunswick A-2 pin setters. Most issues I've come across haven't been to problematic to figure out. But being I can't seem to get it to recreate the issue...

Strange sweep problem

I’m a rookie mechanic and have been working on pinsetters for 2 years. One of my lanes has a problem with a sweep possibly coasting. I don’t know what could be causing it...

GSX Distributor shaft bearings

Two part topic:
                            1. Plastic bearing (#66) used in place of regular sealed bearing (#51) -- thoughts?

2. ANY of these bearings with the black support mount...

The Legacy of the A2

I was recently disheartened to learn that a bowling center that I once serviced was actively looking to replace their A2's. I understand that most military bases and educational...

Table turning on short stroke.

Hello dear Bowltech members.
                            First let me say thank you for your time. am plagued by a big issue for three weeks now.
                            our technician is working full time on another...

Another pivot bearing broke.

One and a half year old GSX machines. This will be the 5th pivot bearing that has broke. This one decided to take out a few things with it. Snapped the stroke limiter shock stud...
                            Working...
                            X