Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• movingdeck/scossor camfollower shafts

Having a real problem with breaking Quality Style cam follower shaft kits across the house.(40 lanes)
    Scissors are not to tight, 1 to 1 housings are not loose

any suggestions? looking for a solution

Re: movingdeck/scossor camfollower shafts

Missioned:
    Have had good luck using set screw # 11-102220, w/nut and lock washer in place of stud quality uses. Of course, shaft itself must have no groove worn in it ,nor hole in plate enlarged,nor plate to cover bolts loose.
    Hope of some help to you
    Roscoe
    rfm

Comment

Hey Missioned.
      Another thing to check is if the 1-1 mounting plate is bent where the shaft goes through it tends to break that bolt a whole lot more often.
      Also check and make sure the deck jam microswitch is working correctly.
      I used a large allen wrench to force the x-pin down and made sure the machine turned off immediately.
      With the deck cable off the moving deck cam follower should move freely.
      Make sure it is not binding on the bushings or hitting the rake cam follower when it is all the forward.
      I had 2 machines break the "bitch bolt" in 1 week and found out that a pinchaser was clearing blackouts by pushing in the motor contactor...OUCH
      Hope this might help.
      Grambo

Comment

I have found that using a Grade 5 bolt works better for us. the grade 8 are so hard that if you have any movement at all between shaft and plate it will break.I believe that the Kit studs are grade 8 or at least hardend treated.
        Peanut

Comment

Masternut:
          Most set screws are grade 12- vast difference from grade 8.
          Secret to this problem is, no for and aft shaft movement as cam follower is following cam. No bolt can withstand a plate with an elongated hole. Indeed when rebuilding a 1to1 assembly, I provide an extra 1 inch of support for shaft.
          Roscoe
          rfm

Comment

Thanks for the info roscoe,
            I agree that no bolt will help a bent or deformed mounting hole.
            Do you like the collar that goes around the shaft?

Later
            Peanut
            Peanut

Comment

Hey Masternut
              I insatalled the collar on all my machines and they worked GREAT!!
              Just make sure you get it tight against the mounting plate and extra tighten the bolts.
              I bought an extra long allen wrench and was able to put the split collars on easily.
              While doing P.M. work I found on different occasions the bolt BROKEN and the collar holding the shaft in place with the machine causing NO problems.
              I would suggest investing in the collars because when that shaft falls out it can tear up so many things that the collars pay for themselves in parts and the headaches of changing 1-1"s
              Grambo

Comment

Yea,I think they are great too, we have them on all our 116 brunswicks,we have only had 2 bolts break since 1985 but it is a releif to know that if one does break the cam follower want get caught up in the cams and damage plate.

Roscoe:how do you add the extra 1" support?
                when you go into a 1:1 for someone.

Peanut
                Peanut

Comment

Peanut:
                  I only change assemblys on an exchange basis, found long ago just replacing covers not really a viable procedure as is does not address all the problems a 1to1 has. I mill the cover at the hole. to ensure alignment,then weld a 1-1/2 od by 13/16 id, 1 inch long, mild steel bushing which incorperates a set screw, to lock shaft. Then finish ream the 13/16 bore ,in the mill to ensure the shaft is perpendicular to gearbox.
                  I usually carry three such units with me at all times.
                  Still think you superimposed a hospital picture with your mchs.
                  Roscoe
                  rfm

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                  widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Rake sweeping out of time, and pin launching onto lane.

I work on some nice old Brunswick A-2 pin setters. Most issues I've come across haven't been to problematic to figure out. But being I can't seem to get it to recreate the issue...

Strange sweep problem

I’m a rookie mechanic and have been working on pinsetters for 2 years. One of my lanes has a problem with a sweep possibly coasting. I don’t know what could be causing it...

GSX Distributor shaft bearings

Two part topic:
                  1. Plastic bearing (#66) used in place of regular sealed bearing (#51) -- thoughts?

2. ANY of these bearings with the black support mount...

The Legacy of the A2

I was recently disheartened to learn that a bowling center that I once serviced was actively looking to replace their A2's. I understand that most military bases and educational...

Table turning on short stroke.

Hello dear Bowltech members.
                  First let me say thank you for your time. am plagued by a big issue for three weeks now.
                  our technician is working full time on another...

Another pivot bearing broke.

One and a half year old GSX machines. This will be the 5th pivot bearing that has broke. This one decided to take out a few things with it. Snapped the stroke limiter shock stud...
                  Working...
                  X