Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Slip sliding away (pins on the cc belts)

Collapse

Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slip sliding away (pins on the cc belts)

Just had a machine decide it wanted some attention. Pins started slipping on the cc belts!! Belts are 3 months old and are clean. No oil,grease or other foreign material in the pin handling system. Pit carpet is in good shape and clean. Pins are my "summer" Amflites. Ugly but not dirty! Machine has been running fine and this problem started this morning after it had run about 20 minutes. Just one pinsetter, middle of the house. Another case for those x-file agents!!

billman
    let me be myself

Re: Slip sliding away (pins on the cc belts)

Billman:

There was a thread a long while back about CC belts, specifically the grey quality ones ... might be worthwhile to take a look, if these are the belts in question.

I have a set in here that haven't given me any problems like that, on the other side of the coin.

Kevin

Comment

I know you said your carpet was in good shape
      but I would try wiping the cc belts with a dry towel ,cleaning or changing your pins and installing a carpet cover on your board.I would not be surprised if the problem
      went away.I have had the same problem appear out of nowhere and it usually ends up being
      caused by the pit carpet.

Comment

Also, since you comment the belts are relatively new, double check to make sure they're installed the right way. I had our pinchaser put a new pair on backwards (pins riding on the edge, not on the bevel of the belt) and they had some pretty serious traction problems.

For older contaminated belts, I'll rough 'em up with sandpaper or a file while they're going, just to get a better grip on the pins. Seems to help on the worst of 'em. But the new ones should not have any need for something ~that~ extreme.
        Oldsmagnet -- Sidney MT

Comment

[QUOTE]They make new belts that are "sticky", if you can't solve the prob with what the other guys have metioned then I would suggest getting the new tackified ones. I have got a mess of these new ones, and you can't stop the pins from going up even with a full coat of oil applied to them.

Comment

Gizzmo,
            Who makes "sticky" belts?
            TSM & TSM Training Development
            Main Event Entertainment
            480-620-6758 for help or information

Comment

AS FAR AS PINS SLIPPING ON C/C BELTS, I BELIEVE IT NARROWS DOWN TO THE CLEANING OF THE PINSETTER AND NAMELY, THE PINPATH. A LOT OF PLACES ARE HAVING THIS IDENTICAL PROBLEM AND I HAVE HEARD OF NUMEROUS WAYS TO PREVENT IT. FROM SPRINGS ACROSS THE TOP OF THE C/C, TO ALUMINUM PLATES SPRUNG ACROSS IT. NOW, BRUNSWICK DOES OFFER A URETHANE RUBBER TYPE OF BELT, AND I KNOW IT STOPS THE SLIPPING PROBLEM, BUT I KNOW IT MAKES YOUR WHITE PINS TURN YELLOW, PLUS THEY ARE EXPENSIVE, ABOUT $45-50 EACH. I PERSONALLY WOULD NOT ORDER THEM. JUST AN OBSERVATION.

[This message has been edited by GJONES (edited 07-12-2000).]

Comment

Heya!

I just got a shipment of new CC belts from Brunswick this week. The rubber looks/feels a little softer than before. Also, there is twice as many cogged grooves in the belts. Not sure how they will work down the road, but they do look like an improvement so far.

Wookie8662

Comment

Hey guys I tried something different this morning on a machine which had problems of pins slipping on c/c belts, and it seemed to work well. It sounds more damaging than it really is: take a portable disc grinder and hold it gently (you just want to scuff them down to fresh rubber) against the edge surface of the belts. With the belts turning, use the grinder to strip away the glaze on the belts. It may take a couple minutes per belt since they turn slow compared to the grinder, but it didn't leave much of a mess at all. If you do this from the underside of the cross conveyor the angle is awkward, but the little bit of shavings pretty much lands on the pit curtain. Clean the belts afterward. Lane 2 was giving trouble a handful of times this month, and it's been quiet since trying this today. Bit of a money $aver.
                  matt

Comment

Matty...how many times do you think we can "grind" down our belts before replacing them??? I wouldn't want guys/gals going out grinding on their belt without trying all the other possible solutions first. I'm not saying the idea is bad...but I would try cleaning first before "grinding". I also had this same problem until we changed lane oil. I was using the spring across the top of the Cross Conveyor, changed belts, scrubbed belts, even got the grey belts that Murrey "was" selling to try and solve the problem. We cleaned the belts with every chemical we had...no solution was found...(except those grey belts). Then we changed lane oil and the problem has competely gone away...???? Go figure.

Still like those grey belts though...hey Bill...lets talk about Cross Conveyor belts...LOL

Just my two cents worth...

Steve

[This message has been edited by JBEES (edited 07-30-2000).]
                    TSM & TSM Training Development
                    Main Event Entertainment
                    480-620-6758 for help or information

Comment

It has been my experience that once a pair of belts starts slipping, you endup replacing them eventually anyways. I have cleaned them with everything from acetone, to alchohol. I ve even put progrip from the proshop on them to get pins to go up. I am pretty sure the pins slipping is directly related to carrydown. I recently experienced this problem 1 day after I lengthened the shot and beefed up the fill run for a tournament, I had 4 pair that started slipping, even two weeks later after I cut the oil back, they continued to slip. I cleaned them, we change carpet covers on a very regular schedule, even cleaned then pins, worked ok for a day then next evening 180 on 36. Finally just replaced the darn things. Not a problem since.

Jerrid
                      and then he said, "on your death bed, you will receive total consciousness" so I got that going for me...... which is nice!

Comment

wekk i got an idea about a year ago from a unlikely source. A guy i work with races go carts, they use laquer thinner to soften there tires . So off i went to the hardware store got a gallon and a 1 inch brush.Well I found out it works really good to loosen the dirt, then i go back and take zep cleaneron one rag and a dry one. I but both on the belt at the same time with the wet one closer to the turn pan and the dry one right behind fipping the rag over a few times until clean. You'd really be surprised how much you really miss with out the laquer thinner.I've had great results the past with this way of cleaning. hope it can work for you. It sure does beat a grinder or sand paper u ruin your belts before they're old.Good luck to you if u give it a shot hope this can help everyone out there.

Comment

We just had a thunderstorm roll though and the humidity jumped. Almost instantly pins started to slip!! Normal humidity is 10-18%, It jumped to 60%. Any ideas on this one?

billman
                          let me be myself

Comment

got the same thing happen at my centre....

after the humidity goes up here the pins start slipping, we get a few extra deck jams and Accel belts start to get thrown...
                            short of cleaning them all 4-5 times a shift anyone got any better ideas?

------------------
                            Tech

Comment

speaking on humity I'm in Va. so we have it pretty high in the summer. A good thing to get in your centers are dehumidifers, we have 3 of them, they have to be emptied every morning and night thats about 8 gallons of water from each of them. This does a great job and the sticking pin problems and cc belts don't come up much. Try and get some of them you will be surprised what they can do. good luck.

------------------

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                              widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Approach Wear - DBA IQ/Anvilane

Our approach panels have a lot of wear at the joint between the first approach panel and the approach/heads panel. Nearly every one has the printed image worn through to various...

Rake sweeping out of time, and pin launching onto lane.

I work on some nice old Brunswick A-2 pin setters. Most issues I've come across haven't been to problematic to figure out. But being I can't seem to get it to recreate the issue...

Strange sweep problem

I’m a rookie mechanic and have been working on pinsetters for 2 years. One of my lanes has a problem with a sweep possibly coasting. I don’t know what could be causing it...

GSX Distributor shaft bearings

Two part topic:
                              1. Plastic bearing (#66) used in place of regular sealed bearing (#51) -- thoughts?

2. ANY of these bearings with the black support mount...

The Legacy of the A2

I was recently disheartened to learn that a bowling center that I once serviced was actively looking to replace their A2's. I understand that most military bases and educational...

Table turning on short stroke.

Hello dear Bowltech members.
                              First let me say thank you for your time. am plagued by a big issue for three weeks now.
                              our technician is working full time on another...
                              Working...
                              X