TOTY

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pivot link inverting

Had a machine bust a hook selector bearing last night, cause was that the pivot link had flipped over and the trip rod lever was binding against the cross brace collar that tells the rake when to sweep (never noticed it because the zot triggered the machine every time)

What causes the pivot link to flip over, and what can I do to prevent it from flipping over in the future. Definitely a problem that I'd rather avoid, but have only seen it in very isolated cases, never seen it while it was happening.

Thanx in advance:

Kevin

Re: Pivot link inverting

Kevin...

If you're talking about the pivot link on the "C" levers (by the shotgun) we drilled (I hate to use that word for fear of adding fuel to an already burning fire in other threads, but anyways) two holes...one on each C Lever. Ran a 1/4 - 20 bolt through in front of pivot link and fastened with lock nut. Works great for those times when a ball is idling on the lip of the pit frame and the cushion closes on top of it. I wish I still had access to those pinsetters so I can take a snapshot and post it. Anyway, hope this helps and is not confusing.

Kat
    "Where are we going, and why are we in a hand basket?"

--Kat

Comment

Kat:

That's exactly what I was after ... but where on the C levers to drill, a little before the pivot link could get past vertical, or allowing it just enough motion to do its job (fire the gun), or somewhere in the middle??

Hear you on the other thread, LOL!!, but in this case, saving busted guns and hook selector bearings justifies this "enhancement", IMO. While I can change one fairly quick (now that I do them on the machine, thanks to another bowl-tech suggestion) It's one repair I can do without, since it's needless.

Thanx

Kevin

Comment

Kevin....

It's a judgement call. Whichever works for you. We had ours about 1/4" from the pivot link. Just be sure to align the holes so that when you put the bolt in it doesn't look cheesey or a hack job. As long as you can grab the trip casting and trigger the shotgun with no binds, you're set. Oh, BTW, one word...when tightening, don't overtighten so that the gap between the "C" Levers decreases and bind up against the oilites in pivot.

Best of luck!

Kat
        (wishing he still had his A-2s )
        "Where are we going, and why are we in a hand basket?"

--Kat

Comment

K.L.
          Simpliest fix is to drill a 1/4 hole, midway in the travel portion of the slotted link, through both the top and bottom and install a roll pin or bolt thus preventing overcenter travel of linkage.
          Be assured no other problems will result from this jury-rig, and it will permanently put to rest broken H members.
          However in the current climate prevailing, this advise could be construed as ignoring other adjustments, which is patently B.S.
          New installations were prone to this problem, most all rake trippers have some such device, or they replace said parts on a regular basis.
          Roscoe
          rfm

Comment

Hey Roscoe
            You are right that this is not a rig but a permanent repair to keep the shotgun trip linkage from flipping.
            We installed mini A-2 conversions at our center and Brunswick gave us top slotted links with a shorter slot so the linkage could not flip over.
            They probably stopped making them because I never broke any shotgun trip linkage with this type top fitting.
            Grambo

Comment

Also check your pit cushion Shocks that they still have good resistance in them.Or the ball will slam under the cushion causing this problem too.

------------------
              John
              John

Comment

Heya!

I did this to my machines about a year ago. I almost forgot what inverted trip links looked like...(almost)

I drilled a hole in the C levers about halfway from the pivot link center (where the spacer is), to the edge of the C-lever.

Put in a 1/4-20 bolt, and tightened a nylon locknut just tight enough to keep the bolt from moving/rattling around.

Have not had one problem with any machine, and havent had to change the "H lever"
                as roscoe calls it. Hmmm, kinda like that name.

Wookie8662

Comment

Shamefowjze:
                  Now, now- were trying our best here, not to live up to the reputation recently assigned to us, please cooperate in these delicate negotiations.
                  Your friend
                  Roscoe
                  rfm

Comment

KL Kevin,
                    Don't go drilling any holes just quite yet...try this first. Grab an old (or new) urethane roller from your pit cushion linkage (12-252351). Insert it into the slotted link and put a small wire tie to hold it in there. Then "forget about it". You'll never see it happen again. No drilling required.

Steve
                    TSM & TSM Training Development
                    Main Event Entertainment
                    480-620-6758 for help or information

Comment

Steve:
                      You will find that the wire ties will eventually break, even the 1/4 in versions.
                      My opinion is spend the time, do it right, and never go back to that area. Inverted linkage can cause not only triggering problems, but also rake and deck holding hook problems, some of which can result in damage, thats very costly, an inverted link can easily keep the deck holding hook from fully engaging the deck pin, and when the turret dumps, which it will at that height, the deck will find the lowest thing to stop it, being a single pin, or the end of the lowering link.
                      Perhaps not enough has been said about the dangers of the deck holding hook. I know personally of two people killed, from incorrect deck holding adjs., or worn holding hooks.
                      The most dangerous thing a mech. on a Brunswick pinsetter can do, is to get under a deck, while machine is between 90 and 180 degrees, second ball. All Overtravel machines are dangerous, on second ball.
                      Deck holding hooks, and there wear factor at the sharp point is one of the very first things I determine upon evaluating a machine.
                      I consider the deck holding hook the most deadly part of the machine, the rake can kill you, if you are dumb enough to be in a running machine, but the hook can do also, with the machine shut off. I know this is a long post, but I feel strongly about this subject.
                      Perhaps some of the more seasoned mechanics, will add to this post,with other dangers, that new mechs, or anyone reading our posts
                      can benefit from.
                      David, start it out with things not to do ! We all assume every one has been to school, thats not the case.
                      rfm

Comment

roscoe,
                        i apologize for my previous comment in regards to the duct tape. i agree with the roll pin "modification" to solve this problem. but it appears as if this individual is on a personal "by the book" crusade. perhaps fueling the fire is not the best thing to do in this situation. you made a good point about the deck hook saftey issues. perhaps another thred should be started on that subject alone. my sympathy goes out to your friends that left us in "the line of duty". i hate hearing about that kind of stuff........alex
                        Conditioner: Pantene Pro-V Brunette Expressions with Color Enhancer
                        Cleaner: Fabuloso Spring Fresh with Bleach Alternative
                        Cloth: ShamWow!
                        Machine: Johnny 5
                        Surface: Melamine-impregnated, phenolic-treated, high pressure pressed craft paper

Comment

kl kevin
                          You might look at your carpet, make sure carpet clamp is not higher than carpet, also check carpet clamp to make sure it is not even or lower than ball wheel. I have seen this inversion caused by a ball not returning, gets stuck under pit cushion so when cushion drops ball prevents this and inversion can happen. also make sure pit cushion raises high enough for ball to go under cushion without touching cushion. Any place a ball can get stuck can cause inversion if not by one ball but maybe two or more.

Roscoe is right the inversion can cause many problems some weird some unfortunate. Lets face it these machines are hostile, lets make ever effort to make them safer for all concerned.

We all know how hard it is to adjust all machines to pick up 50 years of bowling balls without problems. Most of us try our best to get balls back as we do not like chasing balls or fixing problems caused by balls not returning. If your center averages 30-40 lines per bed per day about 25,000 balls are thrown per day, all kinds of balls.

I do not have this suggested fix on my machines, but I believe this will work.

Comment

Hey Roscoe
                            I wrote awhile back that all mechanics should lock out the machine before working on it to protect themselfs and to conform to OSHA regulations.
                            I think everyone should adhere your advice and NOT go under the deck when it is being held on the hook.
                            And my advice is to turn the machine off at 2 places if locking out the machine is not possible.
                            Let us all work safely!!!
                            Grambo
                            ps In the Graingers catalog there are lock out devices that will fit over the pinsetter electrical box drop cord.

Comment

Roscoe
                              and bolts break and roll pins fall out...lol. I suggested a quick and easy solution that doesn't require weakening a piece of metal by drilling a hole into it. It's not the only answer...just another way of doing it.

Just my 2 cents worth...

Steve

[This message has been edited by JBEES (edited 07-19-2000).]
                              TSM & TSM Training Development
                              Main Event Entertainment
                              480-620-6758 for help or information

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                              widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Ball Returns Shorted Out?

Ok, I just had one of my company's centers in Florida reach out for help with this issue, and I wasn't able to help them over our chat, so I'm hoping you guys can help shed some...

Trip rocker arm

What causes the trip rocker arm to not line up with the trip rod? Carriage tubing is not bent and all eccentrics are brand new.
                              I understand I can bend the rocker arm a...

Lower ball cushion board

Just wondering if this is the normal way that these boards go over time? Am i missing something?
                              Pit curtains are in "reasonable" condition if that means anything...

Backend motor plug

What is the name of the power plug and socket on the back-end motor?

Some of ours are breaking from impacts from repeated pile-ups and need to be replaced....

82/70 combi motors

Hi guys, got a few of these Lewus solid state start switches and wondering if we could make use of them on our combi motors. I've seen they aren't recommended for combi motors...

Deck lowering hook cam follower lever

I have a machine that has broken the cam follower arm for the deck lowering hook on the 2 to 1 twice in a couple weeks. I've overnighted the part so i can change it tomorrow....
                              Working...
                              X