Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SAFETY FIRST..mechanic electrocuted and died

A friend of mine from palm springs calif just told me a mechanic at Palm Springs Lanes in Cathedral City just got electrocuted and died 37 years young. Guys Take caution when working on electrical boxes unplug power not just the breaker.We dont need to hear this one ever agian..My condolences to him and his family.And it was on Brunswick machine I understand.....:_(

------------------

Re: SAFETY FIRST..mechanic electrocuted and died

I would like to offer my heart felt condolences to him and his family. There are days that remind us of how dangerous our line of work can be, unfortunately at times we are reminded by an accident. Lets keep it safe gang.

Jim
    Could you please try to get some details on this incident so that maybe we can help prevent any more tragedies such as this one.

Thanks
    Mike
    Mike Wilson
    Bowl-Tech Inc..

Comment

I am sorry to hear this BAD news.
      I am always harping about LOCKING the machine out and here is a terrible example of why we need to lockout the machine.
      Graingers sells lockout devices.
      I hope you read this Mike Wilson and will again post the Graingers part number for the lockout device that fits over an electrical cord.(this device will slip over the drop cord to the electrical box and takes SECONDS to install)
      The Washington Post had an article 3 days ago about a plant mechanic who was killed by clearing a jam and being taken in by the conveyor system.
      Let us all work SAFELY and go home to our familys in 1 piece.
      Grambo

ps. I just read Mike's link to the newspaper article.(good work Mike)
      It says OSHA is investigating.
      You can bet that lockout tagout rules will be cited in this sad accident.
      Please tell your manager/owner/corporate/etc.
      that lockout tagout is the LAW and to buy you ALL the necessary equipment to work SAFELY!

[This message has been edited by GRAMBO (edited 07-26-2000).]

Comment

I think we all work on electrical problems with a certain amount of fear in the back of our minds...and I believe it's this fear that keeps us safe. Make your pinchasers and non-mechanic employees so afraid of electrical problems that they let us(the head guys) handle it. I believe that most fatalities probably occur to people who had the best of intentions, but were ignorant of the way electricity works.
        Mike
        "cursing at a pinsetter near you..."

Comment

It's very sad to hear someone gets hurt or worse.I for one when i take the cover off unplug the power cord ALWAYS!!Then when i am done i replace my cover BUT...the place i'm at lets the cover(s) stay off due to improper training,BAD-BAD habits,lazyness,they dont think it's really important etc.,thats what i face and when you speak up they think your just griping about nothing major!! Lead man doesnt really care about anyone but himself and the owner is at times just plain ole lost.It's really sad to see a hazard such as this continue but it does.OH sure they get put on if you bitch enough but otherwise they dont get put back! My rule of thumb is...you take it off...you put it back!!

Comment

a safety rule i learned in school which I still employ is "WHEN WORKING WITH ANY VOLTAGE, KEEP ONE HAND BEHIND YOU" This way voltage may make you jump but will not travel through your heart. BUT when working with voltage it is best to turn power off at breaker. PLEASE EVERYONE WORK WITH EXTREME CAUTION WHEN WORKING WITH VOLTAGE. IF IN DOUBT-TURN IT OUT!!!(OFF)

Comment

Hey Nighthawk.
              I am sorry to hear that your chief mechanic does not feel that keeping the electrical box covers on the pinsetters is important.
              Here is an idea though.
              Tell your owner that it is a FIRE CODE VIOLATION to leave exposed boxes.
              These means that all junction boxes and switch boxes and circuit breaker panels and even pinsetter electrical boxes MUST be covered.
              Many years ago I was caught during a fire inspection with some electrical box covers off.
              Luckily the fire marshall let me put them back on and did not write us up.
              Maybe if you tell your owner that you can be FINED if the fire marshalls site this problem your head mechanic will be sure to put them back on.
              I am pretty sure it is also an OSHA violation
              Grambo

Comment

Grambo.Yup...even went the violation route but no permanent effect.,told them about safety etc. but this place seems to hear only what they want.It's like if you offer advise on how to do something easier they take it as scarcasim and not good advise.OSHA....wonder if they will ever start bothering centers.You know..backend noise levels,cleaners etc.Yikes...could be a nightmare!! Like i said...i take it off...i put it back on! I do think of the next guy at least.

Comment

Nighthawk:
                  Seems like your doing all you can, liked your comment about, (the next guy).
                  People that refuse good information because it didn't emanate from them are only to be pitied, it certainly is a good indicator of their IQs.
                  As an aside, the Brunswick pinsetter has UL approval, only so long as electrical panels are installed as manufactured. Many insurance policies have a disclaimer, if UL is voided.
                  Indeed as the transformer is loaded and subsequently prone to shorts at all times, it seems foolish to leave one off. However we all know some of those people.
                  JMO
                  Roscoe
                  rfm

Comment

has anyone read exactly what happened and on what kind of machine? I saw my old boss back in the late 70's working on a 5 board A.M.F chassis (with the machine running)and his necklace was hanging down an hit the motor contactor. Knock him right off the machine and scared the hell out of me.
                    I too have a bad habit of leaving the covers off the electric box, but no more. Gave a copy of the news article to the boss and he made copies for the other guys and made them read and sign it that they read it.

Comment

There is no reason to leave the cover off an electrical box when done working on it, period, end of sentence.

If you have someone who does, I'd suggest saying, well, when you are working up front, and need to pull deadwood or some other chicken shytt stop, do you want to take the chance that when you reach for the "invisible" breaker, is the cover on it or not??? I don't, personally.

Bottom line guys, harp on safety, right from jumpstreet, and don't be afraid to bitch someone out when they don't practice it, because we should all leave the trade the right way, with a gold watch and a bunch of "I'll miss you, man's", that we're still around to hear.

Kevin

Comment

I have been in many bowling centers over the years, some of them real fixer uppers, and I have seen many centers other than my own. I have seen some really scary stuff.

Electrical panel covers missing.
                        Pinsetter circuit breaker tie clips missing.
                        Pinsetter motor receptacles hanging out of wire channel.
                        Cross conveyor micro switches missing connection covers.
                        Rubber insulation chipping and falling from power cords.
                        Electrical tape patches in deck light and other high voltage cords.
                        Incorrectly routed cables in pinch spots on the pinsetters.
                        Deck lights with wires hanging out of them.
                        Bypassed 1 amp and 3.2 amp fuses, using foil or wires.
                        Snack bar appliances missing insulation on wires and missing ground wires.
                        Exposed wires in parking lot lighting post bases.
                        Un-safe receptacles in child care areas.

Have you ever experienced reaching into a ball lift motor area for a reset button hit a shielded cable and end up with sparks and smoke because the greenfield or BX cable was improperly clamped.

How about grabbing a hold of a cycle solenoid that has a loose wire touching the cover.

Have you ever reached around the electrical panel from the front of the pinsetter to turn off the breaker and grab a hold of 220 volts. (Missing electrical panel cover)

These are just a few examples of some stuff I have seen over the past 21 years I have been at it.
                        I am sure most of the centers you guys work in are in good shape, but I would bet most of you have seen or experienced some of these problems.

Many of what I have listed above are quick fixes that people have done and forgotten about, and in other cases parts of the machines are neglected because some parts are deemed unimportant, or not necessary to make the pinsetter go up and down. Sometimes the person who decides its not important does not even work in the mechanical area, and may not have a clue that certain parts when missing can cause serious injury or loss of life.

In my centers I have always tried to keep the machines running up to par to keep the bowlers happy, but while I am doing that right along with it I am fixing stupid stuff like bare wires, cracking wire insulation, bypassed fuses to name a few because I do not want any of my staff or myself to get injured while working on the equipment.
                        I have never had to live through the horror of removing a fellow employee from a piece of equipment and I am not going to take that chance.

Go through your center, and get your manager involved. Come up with a prioritized game plan for correcting your possible safety hazards. Lets not sit back and wait for OSHA to come in and tell us to fix it up or worse yet for somebody to die.

Mike
                        Mike Wilson
                        Bowl-Tech Inc..

Comment

Found two boxes uncovered last night and put the covers back on. I am pretty sure when I go back into work I am going to get chewed out over it, but I dont care, my safety is more important. I think though that AMF is more of an electrical hazard because there is always some dumbass mechanic who removed the chassis covers, especially on the 8230, leavning another hot spot to touch. People like taht outta be shot.

Comment

I personally don't believe any machine is more of a hazard than the other...it's the mechanics working in the center that leave covers (any covers) off that are the hazard.
                            And you know who you are...

Just my two cents worth...

Steve
                            TSM & TSM Training Development
                            Main Event Entertainment
                            480-620-6758 for help or information

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                            widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Rake sweeping out of time, and pin launching onto lane.

I work on some nice old Brunswick A-2 pin setters. Most issues I've come across haven't been to problematic to figure out. But being I can't seem to get it to recreate the issue...

Strange sweep problem

I’m a rookie mechanic and have been working on pinsetters for 2 years. One of my lanes has a problem with a sweep possibly coasting. I don’t know what could be causing it...

GSX Distributor shaft bearings

Two part topic:
                            1. Plastic bearing (#66) used in place of regular sealed bearing (#51) -- thoughts?

2. ANY of these bearings with the black support mount...

The Legacy of the A2

I was recently disheartened to learn that a bowling center that I once serviced was actively looking to replace their A2's. I understand that most military bases and educational...

Table turning on short stroke.

Hello dear Bowltech members.
                            First let me say thank you for your time. am plagued by a big issue for three weeks now.
                            our technician is working full time on another...

Another pivot bearing broke.

One and a half year old GSX machines. This will be the 5th pivot bearing that has broke. This one decided to take out a few things with it. Snapped the stroke limiter shock stud...
                            Working...
                            X