Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any ideas on what to use on ball wheels?

Collapse

Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any ideas on what to use on ball wheels?

In need of something to use on ball wheels. We have tried allot of things, carpet, cork, and rubber. Rubber always seems to work the best but if you buy it from a Brunswick dealer it cost an arm and a leg. Any ideas that we may be able to purchase locally would be appreciated. P.S. Was out in Las Vegas during Bowl Expo and went to the Show Boat Bowling Center and the mechanic said they use something they buy in rolls from a parts store but I have no idea what it is. I have not been able to reach them either.

Re: Any ideas on what to use on ball wheels?

Here at our center we use a two kinds of stuff. The first is a textured white piece of rubber and the other is a black piece of rubber glued on with contact cement. The best thing we have on one of the machines is a RUBBER TRACK off of a TONKA toy. Has not let us down yet. If you can find something like that then that would be your best bet. Carpet does not work well in my expierence gets to dang oily. Something rubber with grip in three sections always works well. Cleaned twice a day I might add. As well as the lift rods.

Comment

you can try some different things , but you better keep an eye on whatever you are trying .some rubber materials will mark up balls and pins. i tried some rubber belting that was given to me and it looked just like kicker strip,but OMG did it mark up the pins!!!!!!!just wanted to let you know!i use 12"of regular kicker strip followed by 18" of carpet opposed.

Comment

Hi i dont know if this may be of any help to you but at the center i work in here in sunny old Sydney Auatralia what we use is general house hold carpet cut into lengths and stuck to the ball wheel with contact cement the only differencer being the carpet we use covers half the ballwheel now we are pretty much down to zero ball calls also we use the Zot lift rod clamps for extra pressure they work a charm

Comment

At the Brunswick center I work at....we buy the rubber kickers from brunswick....now the MOS asigned the B mechanic and us 3 tech's to 12 lanes each/48 lane house....we all have a comptetion on cleanlines and maintenace/stops. Instead of cutting the rubber kicker into 1 6inch slab...i cut about 8 1inch slabs and put them equaly around the pinwheel....I havent had 1 ball call recorded on my lanes (1-12) ever since...1 month. I also do daily checks on my pref lock system too...
          ....DOH I MEAN BALLWHEELS )

[This message has been edited by B*Premier*Pinboy (edited 08-23-2000).]

Comment

B*Premier*Pinboy,
            I'm sure you meant ballwheel instead of "pinwheel"

If not...I'm going to start putting kickers on my pinwheels...LOL

and to think...we've all been trying to stop ball calls by working on the ball wheels!

Seriously...whatever you decide to use, if it works...use it. If it doesn't...just try something else. We all have our ideas about what works best and we all feel our ideas are better than anybody elses...and there have been quite a few of them mentioned here. Just catalog them in your mind, try one or two of them...if they don't work for you...don't worry about it. Just move on to another. Odds are, you'll find something that works just fine for you. And ... good luck with your attempts...

Just my two cents worth...

Steve
            TSM & TSM Training Development
            Main Event Entertainment
            480-620-6758 for help or information

Comment

We mostly use tiger strips. Although they don't seem to stay on the ballwheel too long. Usually we put them back on with contact cement after they fall off. Before using the tiger strips we tried a whole bunch of things with reletively no success. Just a thought.

Jay

Comment

I have tried most things also, like carpet, rubber stripps etc.
                but have found the best is the brunswick ballwheel material, it stays on till it wears out and easy to put on. I have tried old ball accelerater belt cut into 12" strips and glued on with contact glue, it worked well but would come off after a while.

Comment

We use kicker strips from Quality on our ball wheels...into 5-13inch pieces. Make sure your ball wheels and lift rods are aligned right and make sure they are clean! The cleaner they are...the longer the lift rod covers and ball wheel kicker strips last. I usally clean the ball wheels when the mahcine is on...spray on a rag and hold for about 10 seconds. I've found some old AMF Distributor belts at Twin Oaks (hi jeff) and i've cut them in thw exact width of the ball wheels and I have yet to put them on to see how they work. They look and feel like the same as kicker strips...i'll let ya know if they work!

ßA
                  Toledo, Ohio

Comment

If you use two 3' peices of
                    Tech-. line B/W pad opisite of each other and keep your L/R in adj. and change your B/W daily you wont have a prob. If you still do measure from your clapper box stud to your B/W and make shurethe mes. is consistant! Been there done that! Called irregulars. The guy I worked for called it saving money!

------------------
                    Please buy MADE IN USA!

Comment

WELL WE HAD BALL SPINNING PROBLEM LIKE IM SURE EVERYONE DOES. REALLY BAD PROBLEMS WITH THESE NEW SHINY COLUMBIA WHITE DOTS. BUT WHAT I FOUND TO BE THE BEST ARE TIGER STRIPS FROM ZOT THEY ARE EXPENSIVE ABOUT $10.00 A STRIP BUT THEY WORK THEY HAVE A PROLBLEM WITH SOMETIMES COMING OF BUT YOU CAN GLUE THEM BACK ON. WE ALSO LOOK IN TO THE BALL SPINNING ELIMATOR BY BRUNSWICK THEY ARE ABOUT $70.OO EACH BUT WILL SOLVE ANY SPINNING BALL PROBLEM THESE THING ARE GREAT!!

Comment

I'm not even sure what there called but I have been using the same thing for 5 years and average 1 ball call a day. I order them in 50' rolls and the stuff is like a rubber rough top and is orange in color. Doesn't mark up balls and gets them to the top without a problem. Most the time if your having balls not going up the lift rods then there not lined up properly. Make sure the rods are centered right between the ball wheel and that you don't have too much tension on them.
                        Drill
                        Drill

David Bolt
                        Champaign, IL
                        USBC Silver Coach
                        IBPSIA BOD
                        IBPSIA Advanced
                        Technical Certified
                        Pro Shops

Comment

Drill...where do you buy this "magic" stuff??? I would love to try it.

Steve
                          TSM & TSM Training Development
                          Main Event Entertainment
                          480-620-6758 for help or information

Comment

ok, since i am an old amf mechanic too, id like to "kick" some knowledge about the older vantage black distributor belts....... wow!! what a difference from even brunswicks rubber strips!!. and the best thing is, i get it for free!! (cant beat that with a bat) one of our other centers has all amf 82-70's with this stuff on each one. theyre changing to the older white style belts, and i grab as much as i can. i dont use contact cement though, i use 3M 77 spray tack adhesive. i only get about three ball calls a week, and mostly from these new "budweiser" and "skull" balls.

Comment

Well Ive tried all things and balls just spin for fun in my ball wheels any ideas and help greatly needed avg 30 - 50 ball calls per day H E L P......
                              steve

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                              widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Rake sweeping out of time, and pin launching onto lane.

I work on some nice old Brunswick A-2 pin setters. Most issues I've come across haven't been to problematic to figure out. But being I can't seem to get it to recreate the issue...

Strange sweep problem

I’m a rookie mechanic and have been working on pinsetters for 2 years. One of my lanes has a problem with a sweep possibly coasting. I don’t know what could be causing it...

GSX Distributor shaft bearings

Two part topic:
                              1. Plastic bearing (#66) used in place of regular sealed bearing (#51) -- thoughts?

2. ANY of these bearings with the black support mount...

The Legacy of the A2

I was recently disheartened to learn that a bowling center that I once serviced was actively looking to replace their A2's. I understand that most military bases and educational...

Table turning on short stroke.

Hello dear Bowltech members.
                              First let me say thank you for your time. am plagued by a big issue for three weeks now.
                              our technician is working full time on another...

Another pivot bearing broke.

One and a half year old GSX machines. This will be the 5th pivot bearing that has broke. This one decided to take out a few things with it. Snapped the stroke limiter shock stud...
                              Working...
                              X