Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pinwheel problem

Ok guys...here's one for you....I have a machine which at times refuses to start(or restart) the pinwheel or pinwheel moves very slowly. The machine has a new magnetic clutch, new cross conveyor jam microswitch, and new upper left roller assembly....all properly adjusted. Machine also has new silicon rectifier and capacitor in the box, and a new pinwheel brake....again all working properly. The voltages and resistances at critical points all read within tolerance. The belt is in excellent shape(showing hardly any wear at all and the tension doesn't feel any different than many of my other machines). All four rollers are spinning freely with no bearing lag or seizure, and the pinwheel itself is in really good shape(to be as old as it is). However...a problem still exists....it takes little more than me to just lay my hand on the pinwheel to stop it and when I do, I get no squeal(like you would get from a turnpan jam) which REALLY scares me. By the way, I replaced the jackshaft and bearings also and all other elevator related belts are in good order too. I think this is one for the big guys to handle, so all you multi-year veterans put your heads together and make me look good....LOL. All suggestions will be GREATLY appreciated! Thanks.
    Mike
    "The front makes no $$$ without the back"
    "cursing at a pinsetter near you..."

Re: pinwheel problem

just as one more thing to check... is the pin wheel warped at all???

Comment

not a bit
      Mike

Comment

Make sure your cross conveyor drive belt idler is under the belt rather than resting against the bottom of the catwalk. This idler shares tension from the torsion spring holding the pinwheel brake.

Mark

Comment

When you changed the magnetic clutch did you also put a new pulley on? I have a machine shop resurface my 2 spares so they have a true, flat surface to mate up with the new clutch. This surface also must be clean of all oil and grease.

billman
          let me be myself

Comment

No dice....this machine was doing this before I replaced all of the above parts, one at a time to try and track it.....and it's still doing it after.....gotta be something else....see why this has me stumped?
            Mike

Comment

HEY TOOLS , CHECK THE PLUG RECEPTICAL IN THE WIRE CHANNEL FOR THE MAGNETIC CLUTCH. I'VE SEEN THE WIRE OR WIRES COME LOOSE AND CAUSE PERIODICALY CHANGES IN THE VOLTAGE AT THE PLUG, CAUSING THE PROBLEM YOU'VE DESCIBED. HOPE IT HELPS

Comment

Toolz,
                You haven't said anything about the surface of the pulley...it must be smooth as billman mentioned. If it isn't...it will do exactly what you are describing. Also, when you are able to stop the pinwheel...does the belt slip on the pulley or does the pulley stop turning? Next, check the voltage going into the magnetic clutch with the cutch plugged in. The load may make a difference from your above readings...next check the resistance of your new magnetic clutch..."new" doesn't mean good...lol. It should read around 540 ohms. Good luck.

Just my two cents worth...

Steve
                TSM & TSM Training Development
                Main Event Entertainment
                480-620-6758 for help or information

Comment

Steve hit on one of the important things to look at, when you stop the wheel by hand, does the belt slip, or the pulley?? After 9 years, just changed my first pinwheel belt. New belt was real stiff, not conforming to the clutch pulley real well.

If it's the belt slipping, First thing I'd try would be some belt dressing to give it better grip. The machine I'm talking about was more stubborn than that, I moved CC drive belt tension spring from the square recess to the top of the idler arm, putting more tension on the brake, and the belt. Well this belt was even stiffer than that, actually had to hook a bungee cord from the hole in the brake to the elevator frame for a week until she worked in, then I removed the bungee.

All the way through this experience, it seemed to me that the belt tension was pretty much normal, but if the belt's a little stiff, and possibly on the "long" side of manufacturing tolerances, you may not have sufficient tension to get her to start or run. This pinwheel would only run w/o pins in it, as soon as a pin got going uphill, the weight of the pin would stop the wheel.

Happy hunting, and hope this helps:

Kevin

Comment

Check bottom rollers, they might be sticky or the bearings are bad. Check for a bent bolt in upper guide rollers. PJ
                    Good luck
                    I'm going fishing and camping!

Comment

If it helps guys.....when I bring the pinwheel to a stop by hand, the belt and pulley stop along with it.....while the jackshaft continues to rotate inside the pulley. I can't imagine that it's the clutch that's bad.....it operates exactly as it's supposed to, and turns the pulley loose when it's supposed to. My question is: could the sleeve bearing in the center of the pulley be worn to the point of causing the slippage? It didn't feel bad when I changed the jackshaft, but it wasn't exactly snug either....Get back to me on this guys....I'll check in from work....sorry for dragging this out.
                      Mike
                      "The front makes no $$$ without the back"

Comment

toolz check the surface of the belt pulley, it may need resurfacing or replace pulley with new one. Some times new clutch and old pulley don't mix.
                        good luck Larry

Comment

Toolz,
                          No...the clutch is NOT operating exactly as it's supposed to.If it was...it wouldn't allow the pulley to stop. There are still a couple of things to check.
                          First...resistance of the new clutch. Should be around 540 ohms.
                          Second...this sounds like I'm picking, but I'm not...is the key in the magnetic clutch? Remember...we all make mistakes...LOL
                          Third...the condition of the face of the pulley. If it isn't smooth...you're just spinning your wheels...er...pulley LOL
                          Good luck and be sure and let us know what you found.

Just my two cents worth...

Steve

[This message has been edited by JBEES (edited 08-11-2000).]
                          TSM & TSM Training Development
                          Main Event Entertainment
                          480-620-6758 for help or information

Comment

Ok guys....I'm going to try a new pulley...I've got one ordered....should be here first of the week....I'll let you know how it turns out...although I'm not real optimistic, but then again that's why you all are the veterans and I'm still learning....cross your fingers and thanks for all the help.
                            Mike

Comment

Jbees:
                              Clever.
                              But well covered.
                              Roscoe
                              rfm

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                              widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Well this is a first.

We all from time to time have one of those “wow I’ve never seen THAT before” moments. Well today was one of those for me when my night tech texts me to say lane 16 is out...

Ball return wheel guide roller removal.

Hey guys, i could just use a bit of advice trying to get this part out, first time I've had to do one of these. I got it to move a few turns but its come to a point where it has...

Even old mechanics find something new.

All my years working on these things I never had this happen…… until last week. ...

82-90XL Frontend Gearbox Parts - Rebuild Woes

We have 5 of the 088000365 replacement gear kits on the shelf, and I pulled two gearboxes off machines earlier this week, so I thought I'd try my hand at rebuilding them and save...

Prolane damage

Can this be repaired?

LED Ball Lights

Made an LED conversion for A2's and Frameworx masks. It can also be modded for the Harmony masks to accept 2 x 5mm led's and/or a 12v supply. Once I'm happy with the performance/design...
                              Working...
                              X