Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the Capacitor

Just curious what the capacitor on my A-2 is for. Does it do anything or can I dispose of it. I have Japs. with 208V.

Re: the Capacitor

Are you refering to the one attached to the solenium rectifier

Mike
    Mike Wilson
    Bowl-Tech Inc..

Comment

Hey Shannon
      If you are talking about the capacitor for the rectfier it is too smooth out the DC voltage coming from the rectifier.
      The rectifier cuts the AC sine wave in half so the DC voltage is pulsing.
      By the capacitor charging and discharging
      it helps keep a smoother and steadier supply of DC voltage to the magnetic clutch.
      Grambo

Comment

Yes the cap. on the rectifier, It all started with the pinwheel is real week, can stop it by hand. Started doing some cleaning and checking out for electrical problems, and found about 150vdc, and approx. 600ohms thru the clutch. the voltage seems high to me. To make a long story short I had disconnected the cap. to check it, and it check ok. Then I ran the pinsetter with out the cap. and the voltage went down to about 100vdc. Still have week pinwheel. Any other suggestions. And should I keep the put the cap. back in?? Thanks for your replys guys. Happy Wrenching!! Shannon

Comment

The capacitor is used to absorb the arcing that will occur across the contacts and to smooth out the voltage output of the selenium making it more efficient. As the contacts begin to open, the DC voltage will try to continue to travel across the contacts trying to create an arc. The capacitor, being charged, will discharge to the coil, thus lowering the demand from the selenium. As the capacitor discharges, the contacts will be too far apart to form an arc. You will only find the capacitor in A-2's due to the change in the wiring of the selenium rectifier. The A's were wired with the AC side of the selenium across the switch. This changed due to the thinking that turning the selenium on and off would damage it prematurely and if the rectifier were to short, it would damage the switch also. The arcing problem will not occur in the AC side of the circuit because the sine wave would allow the voltage and current to fall to zero every 1/60th of a second...preventing the arc from starting or continuing if it happened to get started. As to the question...do you NEED to put it back...NO, but you will destroy the cross conveyor micro switch eventually if you don't and the voltage will be a bit lower to the clutch. As for the weak clutch...check the surface of the pulley and be sure it is smooth or you will get the problem you are describing. We discussed this in an earlier thread. You might want to check it out. You have already verified the resistance of the clutch windings. The high voltage you read on the circuit with the capacitor is due to how we measure AC voltage. We read AC as RMS...root mean square. This is because we average the voltage and we see 110 volts or so. The actual peak of the sine wave is the voltage we read times 1.414. This is around 150 volts. The selenium will charge the capacitor to that voltage (peak) and is able to maintain that voltage when there is no load on it. Measure it with the load and the voltage will fall down to around 90 or so due to the loss through the rectifier.
          Bottom line...the capacitor is good...the rectifier is good...the clutch coil is good...you probably have a pulley that isn't smooth. Hope this helps.

Just my two cents worth...

Steve

[This message has been edited by JBEES (edited 08-25-2000).]
          TSM & TSM Training Development
          Main Event Entertainment
          480-620-6758 for help or information

Comment

Hey JBEES, Did you have a long night at the bar or what, T???? Anyways hope you feel better tommorow.

Comment

Sorry JBEES, my first post from you just had the letter "T", and that was all. Thats the reason for the smart post to you. thanks for the hponest reply. Please forgive me!!

Comment

Shannon, Are you measuring the voltage from the rectifier without the clutch in circuit? If so, you may get a little high reading (no load on the circuit if the clutch is unplugged) I have the old converted "A" machines and I've never had any of those old capacitors go bad, and since your tests on the cap indicated it is good, you may want to re-install the cap and change pinwheel clutches. If you have a spare with a little lower resistance, like 480 ohms or so, slap it in there and see what the result is. You may want to hit the pulley face with 100 grit sandpaper a little to break any glaze to insure it won't slip too much. Don't be surprised if it is a little weak at first, usually from my experience, the clutch and the pulley face will wear and mesh a little better with each other over time, and it will be fine. Good luck with it, those can be a real pain in the rear end.

Comment

JBEES:
                  Well said: good fellow.
                  Answers as such, raise the common denominator. That was a good way to perhaps get someone new in the business to do some more reading. Many good books available from W.W. Grainger, from simple basics to involved electronics, motor technology etc. Obviously, Steve has read them, or remembers his college courses.
                  Great post.
                  Roscoe.
                  rfm

Comment

JBEES nailed it.

Nice description!!

Mike
                    Mike Wilson
                    Bowl-Tech Inc..

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                    widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Approach Wear - DBA IQ/Anvilane

Our approach panels have a lot of wear at the joint between the first approach panel and the approach/heads panel. Nearly every one has the printed image worn through to various...

Rake sweeping out of time, and pin launching onto lane.

I work on some nice old Brunswick A-2 pin setters. Most issues I've come across haven't been to problematic to figure out. But being I can't seem to get it to recreate the issue...

Strange sweep problem

I’m a rookie mechanic and have been working on pinsetters for 2 years. One of my lanes has a problem with a sweep possibly coasting. I don’t know what could be causing it...

GSX Distributor shaft bearings

Two part topic:
                    1. Plastic bearing (#66) used in place of regular sealed bearing (#51) -- thoughts?

2. ANY of these bearings with the black support mount...

The Legacy of the A2

I was recently disheartened to learn that a bowling center that I once serviced was actively looking to replace their A2's. I understand that most military bases and educational...

Table turning on short stroke.

Hello dear Bowltech members.
                    First let me say thank you for your time. am plagued by a big issue for three weeks now.
                    our technician is working full time on another...
                    Working...
                    X