Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• moving deck cables

Is there an easier way to change a bad moving deck cable? Once the compression springs are out of the spring tube they are difficult to get back in far enough to get the switch actuator pin in place, is ther a special tool that is needed or are they just a whole lotta fun?
    Ken Forst "The meek may inherit the earth but the truly demented will still rule it"

Re: moving deck cables

Hey Ken
    Quality Bowl sells a tool for reloading the cable in the spring tube.
    Sorry I do not have the part number but maybe someone will read this and inform you better.
    I had this tool and it made changing the cable SAFE and EASY.
    Grambo

Comment

the part # is 38-1079 This is a valuble tool when rebiulding the deck jam tube assembly. Get one!!! Other methods can be dangerous

billman
      let me be myself

Comment

A whole lot safer to use the tool, not to mention that with the tool, whole job can be done in about 3 minutes, as you leave the springs in the tube, just pop the pin, put the new cable in, put pin in and good to go.

A MUST-HAVE tool, IMO...

Kevin

Comment

Thanks for the info, my staff will be glad to hear of this as they will not have to hear 2 hours of my little tirades as I get aggravated with trying to jam those springs back in
          Ken Forst "The meek may inherit the earth but the truly demented will still rule it"

Comment

I changed one of them a few weeks back... I jamed a screw driver through the spring to hold it in place... you have to hold your tounge right to get the cable off and back on again but at least there was no troubles with the spring coming out and no money spending...

that's one method at least

------------------
            Tech

Comment

Aussie:
              Next to setting your hair on fire, or jumping under a deck, with it on the holding hook, what else do you do for thrills ?
              Be very careful what you advise some of the less experienced to try. Realize you may be talking to a young person whom has not yet lost an eye or a finger due to thoughtless attempts to save time or money, and for what did they lose that member? I guarantee that they will ask themselves that same question in their later years. Grambo cautions us often about safety, and he is 100 percent correct. If nothing else were to come from this forum, let it be that no one else is hurt by something we were hurt by.
              Respectfully.
              Roscoe
              rfm

Comment

Aussie, I appreciate the response however, I was trying to find a way to safely and more easily change the cable, I had already done the screwdriver part and realized that that way was WAY to dangerous, spending a few bucks for a proper tool is well worth it when you think of what could happen without it. Thanks again for your input
                Ken

Comment

Enough can't be said about safety in this forum...always remember to use the right tool for the right job. Sometimes this means spending a couple of extra dollars...

Just my two cents worth...

Steve

PS Beats losing something that can't be replaced...
                  TSM & TSM Training Development
                  Main Event Entertainment
                  480-620-6758 for help or information

Comment

aussie tech,
                    this is how i explain saftey to my mechanics or anyone else that says "it doesn't matter". i love what i do, and i like who i do it for (most of the time..lol). but i don't make enough or love them enough to lose a finger, an eye or an extremity because it might save me a few bucks. trust me what your employer would pay in workers comp bills, does justify the cost of a tool that will make your job easier AND safer.

alex
                    Conditioner: Pantene Pro-V Brunette Expressions with Color Enhancer
                    Cleaner: Fabuloso Spring Fresh with Bleach Alternative
                    Cloth: ShamWow!
                    Machine: Johnny 5
                    Surface: Melamine-impregnated, phenolic-treated, high pressure pressed craft paper

Comment

I always use the proper spring tool for this but b4 i had access to one....I used a socket with a notch ground into it,Along with a big wide vise and just compressed the springs in with the vise works like a charm, BUt yes a eye or finger aint worth losing fer nobody at any time.....:_)

------------------

Comment

sorry if most of you out there think this is a dangerous way to change this..
                        but at the time it was the safest way I could think of to do it.
                        and before seeing this topic, I was not aware there was a specialized tool for it.

the centre I work in is over 1000 miles from out closest parts destributor, the quickest I have EVER gotten parts was just this week... it took 3 days for them to show up.
                        so I don't have the advantage of waiting for a part to come in

when I discovered I needed to replace this cable, I took it off the machine and into the workshop and thought about how I was going to replace it... it was 15 to 20 minutes before I got started.
                        I saw that if I just knocked the pin out the spring would fly out, didn't want that to happen and the idea of trying to put it back in was daunting, so the idea of the screw driver was the safest idea I could come up with.

Alex....
                        never once have I ever said "it doesn't matter"
                        Safety is always on my mind every time I walk through the front doors as I said before... short of having the machine down for a couple of days.. what else could I have done?

Roscoe

I never would have suggested it if I had believe it was dangerous.
                        and btw... I am the lead Tech at this centre.
                        I have been working in the bowling industry for just over a year now. thanks to a great instructor, and alot of logic, I have managed to do a good job, I have only been lead Tech for 4 months now.
                        When I first got to the centre, it was still pretty badly run down from previous managment, we averaged about 2 trouble calls per GAME!!!
                        I have managed to bring it steady at 30games per call now. (new management and the head tech had been there 3 months before I was it was even worse before they got there.)

I am still very inexperienced and do rely on you guys for help on some of the more difficult problems,
                        but Safty has always been utmost on my mind.

when I aam working on the machines our motto is... "pretend all front counter staff and bowlers are out to kill you."
                        if you remember this, you have safty on your mind before you leave the workshop.
                        it sounds harsh but it does work.

I don't want you guys thinking I am unsafe in the work area, just on a very tight budget, in a VERY isolated area.

so if there are any other suggestions on how this can be done, I would love to hear them

your apoligetically
                        Tech

Comment

aussie
                          it's good to hear that you are saftey conscience. i apologize if i seemed harsh on my last post. as for you bowlers are out to kill you theory....right on. i tell my guys that when ever they jump down on the deck to drop the rake. i tell them "i don't trust any bowler with MY saftey". again i apologize.

alex
                          Conditioner: Pantene Pro-V Brunette Expressions with Color Enhancer
                          Cleaner: Fabuloso Spring Fresh with Bleach Alternative
                          Cloth: ShamWow!
                          Machine: Johnny 5
                          Surface: Melamine-impregnated, phenolic-treated, high pressure pressed craft paper

Comment

Thanks for all the interesting reading. I too have done the screwdriver thing and it is not the safe way to go. That is why I now have two cable assemblies hanging on the parts wall. Never let a unexperienced pinchaser try to change this part! Have a good day as I wave goodbye with all 10 fingers still attached.
                            Playball2Hard
                            Treat everyday like it could be your last day!

Comment

I remember someone wrote earlier that they let the spring out...

how is this not dangerous?
                              could somebody explain to me why they believe the screw driver is more dangerous then letting the whole spring out

------------------
                              Tech

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                              widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Approach Wear - DBA IQ/Anvilane

Our approach panels have a lot of wear at the joint between the first approach panel and the approach/heads panel. Nearly every one has the printed image worn through to various...

Rake sweeping out of time, and pin launching onto lane.

I work on some nice old Brunswick A-2 pin setters. Most issues I've come across haven't been to problematic to figure out. But being I can't seem to get it to recreate the issue...

Strange sweep problem

I’m a rookie mechanic and have been working on pinsetters for 2 years. One of my lanes has a problem with a sweep possibly coasting. I don’t know what could be causing it...

GSX Distributor shaft bearings

Two part topic:
                              1. Plastic bearing (#66) used in place of regular sealed bearing (#51) -- thoughts?

2. ANY of these bearings with the black support mount...

The Legacy of the A2

I was recently disheartened to learn that a bowling center that I once serviced was actively looking to replace their A2's. I understand that most military bases and educational...

Table turning on short stroke.

Hello dear Bowltech members.
                              First let me say thank you for your time. am plagued by a big issue for three weeks now.
                              our technician is working full time on another...
                              Working...
                              X