Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• THE RAKE

HELLO EVERYBODY
    I HAVE ONE OF MY MACHINES THAT IS RUNNING FINE EXCEPT THE RAKE.
    I HAVE "BRUNS. As AND WHEN THE DECK IS COMING DOWN TO SET A FRESH RACK AND THE RAKE IS ON THE WAY BACK FORWARD, THE RAKE BOARD TAKES A LITTLE HOP, NOT NICE AND SMOOTH AS THE REST OF MY MACHINES. DOESNT SEEM TO BE RUBBING OR CATCHING ON ANYTHING.

JEFF
    TWIN OAKS LANES
    TOLEDO OHIO
    WE ARE NOW REALLY TWIN OAKS LANES.

Re: THE RAKE

Jeff, check your rake hook adjustment. I have seen them get mysteriously out of adjustment!! (big footed pinchasers) lol

billman
    let me be myself

Comment

THANKS BILLMAN
      BUT I DID CHECK THERE ALSO. SEEMS TO BE JUST IN THE LOWER ARMS WITH THE BOARD. ANYTHING ELSE I SHOULD BE CHECKING?

JEFF

Comment

Your rake cam could be a little out of time, check it out

billman
        let me be myself

Comment

Jeff:
          Not nowing your serial #s, one thing that causes this problem, is a broken spring tube spring, or in the case of early model A's that had the double spring tubes, one of the tubes would bind owing to years of congealed oil and dirt, without enough spring pressure to overcome resistance. This results in a weird jump in rake as it's coming forward, as a result of spring tube being fully compressed at 270 setting pins.
          Off the wall, however have seen it often on double spring machines.
          Hope of some help, let us all know the results, as thats the only way we all can learn from these problems.
          Your friend.
          Roscoe
          rfm

Comment

Roscoe. It has been my experiance that when a rake spring breaks, you also get a jumpy movment in the deck. Please correct me if I am wrong!! ( been wrong before, won't go there!! lol)

billman
            let me be myself

Comment

I would look at the 1/1 myself:

A sloppy 1/1 key or shaft will cause the rake to nose-dive (around 4-5-6 row) setting new pins, and sweep OK on first ball.

Try rocking the rake cam with power off on machine at 0. Compare play to next machine. Appreciable difference means the 1/1 may be saying it needs help.

Kevin

Comment

billman
                typical that is the case with an A2 but with the rake set up of a model A machine. an A2 has one spring tube and the A has two spring tubes for the rake.

alex
                Conditioner: Pantene Pro-V Brunette Expressions with Color Enhancer
                Cleaner: Fabuloso Spring Fresh with Bleach Alternative
                Cloth: ShamWow!
                Machine: Johnny 5
                Surface: Melamine-impregnated, phenolic-treated, high pressure pressed craft paper

Comment

Hey Jeff
                  The answers here are good but when is your rake hopping?
                  If it is when the rake is fully extended take a look at your rake hook and crank rod adjustment.
                  If it is during the sweeping motion try the rake cam timing.
                  Since you have model a's you might try adjusting it the way Brunswick says in the a-2 manual.
                  Put the machine in an EXACT 180 stop.
                  Release the clutch and mark or scribe a worm shaft nut.
                  Turn the clutch 2 revolutions backwards.(clockwise)
                  Loosen the 6 bolts holding the cam to the hub.
                  The cam follower should then fall into the low dwell of rake cam.
                  I had old model a's and this type of adjustment worked much easier.
                  Happy hunting.
                  Grambo

Comment

HEY THANKS GUYS
                    THIS BOWL TECH IS GREAT!
                    I'LL CHECK ON THOSE THINGS ALL HAVE SUGGESTED AND LET YOU KNOW HOW IT CAME OUT.

THANKS AGAIN FOR ALL THE HELP

JEFF
                    TWIN OAKS LANES
                    TOLEDO OHIO

Comment

Hey Shame!!! I have 28 Model As with just one spring tube!! I have seen the doubles and they make the pinsetter look like some sort of war machine!!

billman
                      let me be myself

Comment

You should see a J/B with one spring tube, and a 1/1 going south, rake tries to plant itself in the pindeck when she sets a new rack. When it starts to be visible, you know you have about 6 months to change the 1/1.

Never seen one with two tubes, where does the 10 pin side tube attatch to, bill??

Kevin

Comment

Hey Kevin
                          The old Otis green monsters had 2 rake tubes.
                          The deck lift shaft had a spring mount on each side of it.
                          The rake had tube mount bushings on each side also.
                          The little catwalk by the electrical box was smaller with a guard so as not to hit your feet while that tube was moving.
                          Bowl America has a center where 36 of the 48 lanes are serial number 1200"s
                          The old tube springs must have been weaker because we put a new spring in and removed one tube.
                          If the deck lift shaft wore out at the pivot or the rake broke at the tube mount you just move the tube to the other side.
                          Grambo

Comment

Hey Jeff,
                            One more thing you might check if everything else is O.K. is your rake shock. I had a couple of machines that as the rake would reach it's most forward position, the board would give a little hop upwards. There was no noise, as when the hook latch sticks, and no slop in the 1-1. Both machines had a new rake shock that seemed to have more internal pressure than the others, and that pressure would cause the "hop". Changed shocks, problem solved. Glitch

Comment

HEY GLITCH

MY OLD MACHINES HAVE NO RAKE SHOCK, JUST THE TWO SPRINGS UP FRONT AT THE TOP.

ANY THING ELSE?

I ALSO HAVE A NOTE IN MY BUDDIES QUESTION UNDER MOVING DECK SLAMMING. HE IS TALKING ABOUT MY MACHINE THERE.

JEFF KUHNLE
                              TWIN OAKS LANES
                              TOLEDO OHIO

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                              widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Approach Wear - DBA IQ/Anvilane

Our approach panels have a lot of wear at the joint between the first approach panel and the approach/heads panel. Nearly every one has the printed image worn through to various...

Rake sweeping out of time, and pin launching onto lane.

I work on some nice old Brunswick A-2 pin setters. Most issues I've come across haven't been to problematic to figure out. But being I can't seem to get it to recreate the issue...

Strange sweep problem

I’m a rookie mechanic and have been working on pinsetters for 2 years. One of my lanes has a problem with a sweep possibly coasting. I don’t know what could be causing it...

GSX Distributor shaft bearings

Two part topic:
                              1. Plastic bearing (#66) used in place of regular sealed bearing (#51) -- thoughts?

2. ANY of these bearings with the black support mount...

The Legacy of the A2

I was recently disheartened to learn that a bowling center that I once serviced was actively looking to replace their A2's. I understand that most military bases and educational...

Table turning on short stroke.

Hello dear Bowltech members.
                              First let me say thank you for your time. am plagued by a big issue for three weeks now.
                              our technician is working full time on another...
                              Working...
                              X