Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Busted GB259d roll pin

Just when I was starting to think I'd seen it all ...

Had a machine today that out of the blue just decided it wouldn't set a new rack. Turned out the roll pin that holds the MD/scissor latch to the D shaft was in 3 pieces.

Machine seems fine now, but I got this bad feeling I haven't seen the end of this. Anyone else seen one of these break, and a clue on what might have caused it?? Flag seems to have no binds now, although it wasn't moving right till I changed the pin.

Kevin

Re: Busted GB259d roll pin

I have seen it one time, was a long time ago so I dont remember if I had found a cause or not. Never saw it again so I think at the time I just chalked it up to old age.

Mike
    Mike Wilson
    Bowl-Tech Inc..

Comment

I have had it happen one time also...I also could find nothing to contribute to it breaking. Roscoe may have some insight to what leads up to it breaking.

Peanut
      Peanut

Comment

This must be a once in a lifetime thing!! I also have had it happen once, about 6 years ago. Never did find a cause and has not happened again. (knock on wood)

billman
        let me be myself

Comment

K.L.
          I see it about once a year, enough that I carry a supply of them with me, as its the only pin that will work satisfactorily.
          I have always associated it with a machine that has broken the MDCF shaft bolt, and allowed the cam follower to bind on the flag as it was tring to go home, thus cracking the pin, setting up a future failure. I have seen the timimg cam broken too, from this failure.
          Roscoe.
          rfm

Comment

I have seen this twice, in 2 different centers. On the first machine, the flag was loose (almost falling off) at the 1:1 cover plate. The second machine the latch was installed backwards on the shaft and the pin was only driven thru one side of the latch and the shaft.

Comment

The little !#$@#%@#$ is back ...

Upon further review, here's what I turned up:

All shafts in the gearbox are in time, by the marks, in appropriate inspection holes. Detector is in time, both by side cover mark, and strike cam follower is in low dwell at 90, strike.

MD/scissor cam is retarded by approximately 1 tooth (slash mark on cam doesn't run through center of scissor cam follower until 4/1 is advanced about 10-12 degrees)

Seeing as the machine can't be in, and out of time at the same time, I think the 1/1 shaft itself, or the key have twisted (Cams don't rock, so keys are intact).

As weird as it sounds, the machine runs fine this way, except it likes to break one of these roll pins every couple months.

The question is ... would the cam being say 12 degrees retarded cause stress at the wrong times enough to break this pin?? Never had any other machines do this, and really would like to know the reasons:

Kevin

Comment

K.L.:
                Most likly a twisted key, and yes that will break the pin, as the cam is retarded while the gear driving the detector is not The result is the detector is trying to move the flag before the cam has fully moved the cam follower.
                Roscoe
                rfm

Comment

sounds fun!
                  Thank You All! For All the prayers and and the out pouring of good spirits in my time of need greatly appreciated!

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                  widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Rake sweeping out of time, and pin launching onto lane.

I work on some nice old Brunswick A-2 pin setters. Most issues I've come across haven't been to problematic to figure out. But being I can't seem to get it to recreate the issue...

Strange sweep problem

I’m a rookie mechanic and have been working on pinsetters for 2 years. One of my lanes has a problem with a sweep possibly coasting. I don’t know what could be causing it...

GSX Distributor shaft bearings

Two part topic:
                  1. Plastic bearing (#66) used in place of regular sealed bearing (#51) -- thoughts?

2. ANY of these bearings with the black support mount...

The Legacy of the A2

I was recently disheartened to learn that a bowling center that I once serviced was actively looking to replace their A2's. I understand that most military bases and educational...

Table turning on short stroke.

Hello dear Bowltech members.
                  First let me say thank you for your time. am plagued by a big issue for three weeks now.
                  our technician is working full time on another...

Another pivot bearing broke.

One and a half year old GSX machines. This will be the 5th pivot bearing that has broke. This one decided to take out a few things with it. Snapped the stroke limiter shock stud...
                  Working...
                  X