Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A2 Refuses to go into second ball

Alrighty, I have an A2 here at my house that sometimes simply refuses to go into second ball. This is not a problem every time it's used, but sometimes the freakin machine won't switch to second ball, you throw a nine, it picks it up, sets back down, and you miss it, well, it picks it up, sets it back down, so you reset it, and it picks it up and sets it back down...

It's crazy. We have found that spraying some WD-40 in the detector (NOT MY IDEA) tends to help it for awhile. I'm sorry, but I'm not the mechanic, and I can't tell you what he's tried, but it hasn't work, and it's my turn now. My league bowlers are tired of the reaccuring problem, and personally, I am too. If anyone can help me I would appreciate it, otherwise I'm just going to throw the detector in the trash!!!

Brandon

Re: A2 Refuses to go into second ball

Brandon...when they throw their second ball...is the 2nd ball light on or is the 1st ball light on. The problem may not be in the detector at all...more info will be needed. If the 2nd ball light is on...start looking into the deck holding hook. Maybe its not catching the post every time...

Just my two cents worth...

Steve
    TSM & TSM Training Development
    Main Event Entertainment
    480-620-6758 for help or information

Comment

A couple thoughts:

Since you say WD-40 helps for a while, my first suspect would be a bind in the standing pins mechanism (the pair of arms closest to the front of the machine, on the 10 pin side of the detector). With pins up, first ball, cycle the machine to approximately 270 (standing pins selector will be in low dwell of cam it follows) Push and pull on the selector and the latch, it should always return to the low dwell without hesitation, detector disk should not be able to block it (or real close to blocking it, for that matter), and except for the spring tension, motion should be unrestricted. If it binds, try cracking the bolt loose that holds the standing pin shaft to the detector side plate (the 5/16 head one) and check again.

Does it happen only on certain pin positions ... if so, look at deck pads and deck leveling adjustment (unlikely)

I'd also check the roll pins in the detector rod where they contact the stop bracket, just to be sure they're intact and not hanging up on the bracket. (long shot)

Let us know:

Kevin

Comment

just so as not over looking the obvious...
        do you know if the detector rod has been adjusted correctly?
        I had one once that took me quite a few goes to get right.
        I discovered the detector rod it's self was on it's way out so replacing it worked out well...

just a thought

------------------
        Tech

Comment

First ball light stays on when it gets stuck

Comment

BCW,
            Had a machine that was doing this after cleaning the detector. (Disassembled and wire wheeled every part) Took it back apart and found a slight bind between the end of the standing pins selector and the standing pins cam follower. Removed any imperfections on the contact points of these two parts with some emery cloth, reassembled and put back on machine. Problem went away. What was the cause...don't really know, didn't find anything that looked obvious to me. But if there was a little bind between the parts, it wouldn't go into second ball. Maybe the emery cloth made the surfaces smoother than before. Only one problem with all this...I cleaned it to only clean it. It didn't have the problem before the first disassembly, but it showed up after everything was cleaned up...go figure.
            Another thing to look for is a bind in the standing pins controller that rides against the selector cam in the detector. KL explained that above. Try his idea. Also, while you are just before 270 degrees on first ball standing pins cycle, and done checking what KL said to check, try rotating the "C" shaft in the detector. That's the shaft sticking out of the right hand side of the detector with the first/second ball light selector. Rotate it and see if its sluggish when moving it.(Check a lane next to it to see what a good one should feel like) If it is...then maybe you have a bind in the link going to the deck holding hook...or the bearings(oilite) for the "C" shaft are going bad. The standing pins selector is only held out of the way of the standing pins cam follower for 5-10 degrees and depending on the speed of the machine...that's not very long. Any hesitation in the movement of the "C" shaft can cause the standing pins cam follower to "miss" its opportunity to fall into the low of the cam. Also the compression spring between the strike cam follower and the standing pins cam follower could be weak, not supplying enough pressure to the cam followers to rotate their shafts...however, this would usually show up with a problem in the strike mechanism due to more items having to be moved on the "D" shaft...so this isn't likely to be the problem...but you never know.
            Good luck with this one. Hope we helped you out.

Just my two cents worth...

Steve
            TSM & TSM Training Development
            Main Event Entertainment
            480-620-6758 for help or information

Comment

Ok, sorry to take so long to reply on this one. Well the funniest thing happened, I don't know if I told you, but this house has only been open 4 months now. and Now, this lane is fine.. Never misses a lick. I haven't heard anyone complain about the machine in over two or three weeks.. I started coming into work, and no notes left on the trouble call sheet for that lane.

The only thing I can come up w/is that it might've just been a case that the machine was in a state on inactivity for a long period of time.. Who knows... Something to ponder..

Comment

one word.......gremlins!!!
                if i had a nickel for everytime a gremlin caused a machine problem......etc.
                my nickels worth..... :c)

Comment

Another thing that might have caused it and maybe someone didnt realize they fixed it, an inverted trip lever. Trip lever gets flipped around somehow and gets jammed against the rake lift shaft.
                  Just another thought.
                  marty

Comment

We had the same problem with 2 machines at the same time! Problem was that a spring was missing on the latch thing that you open to change it to second ball. Sorry for my terminology, but im only a pinchaser. It was kinda funny though. The mechanic and I spent a hours changine deck hooks and stuff and lots of time beatin the crap out of the dang things and then suddenly he looks and says, wait a minute...the same spring is missing on both machines. Of course since I was the guy working the night before the problems occured on both lanes, I was blamed for it but yeah...that was our problem with the machines not going to second ball cycle.

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                    widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Rake sweeping out of time, and pin launching onto lane.

I work on some nice old Brunswick A-2 pin setters. Most issues I've come across haven't been to problematic to figure out. But being I can't seem to get it to recreate the issue...

Strange sweep problem

I’m a rookie mechanic and have been working on pinsetters for 2 years. One of my lanes has a problem with a sweep possibly coasting. I don’t know what could be causing it...

GSX Distributor shaft bearings

Two part topic:
                    1. Plastic bearing (#66) used in place of regular sealed bearing (#51) -- thoughts?

2. ANY of these bearings with the black support mount...

The Legacy of the A2

I was recently disheartened to learn that a bowling center that I once serviced was actively looking to replace their A2's. I understand that most military bases and educational...

Table turning on short stroke.

Hello dear Bowltech members.
                    First let me say thank you for your time. am plagued by a big issue for three weeks now.
                    our technician is working full time on another...

Another pivot bearing broke.

One and a half year old GSX machines. This will be the 5th pivot bearing that has broke. This one decided to take out a few things with it. Snapped the stroke limiter shock stud...
                    Working...
                    X