Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ballchaser ?

Surfing a little and found this site - ballchaser.com. Take a look at this thing. 7000 games without a ball call ? I dont have anything to do with this. Pretty expensive at $349.00 per lane.
    marty

Re: Ballchaser ?

I looked the site over, and checked out the video they had. It looks like the entire elevator is slowed down, and then sped back up certain assy's using different sized pulleys. The real "toy" they are using is some kind of nylon, or plastic paddle mounted to the ball wheel, that physically puts the ball on the wheel, and then pushes it up the liftrods.

They have a video on one of the pages that shows it in action, and you can actually see the "paddle" in action. The liftrods that you see in the video have NO COVERING on them, just the bare rods.

Its very interesting, to say the least. I could see how they claim that many lines without a spinner or yo-yo.

While it isnt cheap, (what would you pay for no oil-caused balls), I recommend at least going to the site, and taking a look at the video.

Wookie

PS. It looks so simple, I feel stupid for not at least trying something like that.

Comment

Interesting!!! I checked it out and was impressed. A question I would have is what happens when it carries up a ball and a pin? A pin jammed at the top of the rods would cause some kind of headache. It also seems to me that the paddle-thingy that picks up the ball would also pick up pins. Great idea....Wish I or Wookie had thought of it.

billman
      let me be myself

Comment

What would you pay for no oil-caused ball calls? Not 349 dollars per lane...I already run with so few, I can't see paying that much more to get rid of a few more calls. But, d@mn, what a neat idea...this guy put some thought into this. If it was cheaper...maybe. I would still worry about pins going up with the ball though...

Just my two cents worth...

Steve

[This message has been edited by JBEES (edited 11-15-2000).]
        TSM & TSM Training Development
        Main Event Entertainment
        480-620-6758 for help or information

Comment

Went to site and tried to get video to run, but it kept giving me an error message stating that the Plug-in for Quick Time was not installed, but I already have the newest version of Quick Time downloaded. Any suggestions to get to see this video, really interested.

Pork

Comment

Pork...I got the same message. I reinstalled Quicktime 4.1 and now it works fine...try reinstalling it and see what happens.

Steve
            Main Event Entertainment

Comment

Quote:]Originally posted by PorksKnowledge:
              Went to site and tried to get video to run, but it kept giving me an error message stating that the Plug-in for Quick Time was not installed, but I already have the newest version of Quick Time downloaded. Any suggestions to get to see this video, really interested.[/QUOTE]

There's a slight difference between the Quicktime player and a browser plugin. I imagine you installed the player, but not the plugin for your browser.

Worst case scenario, have someone who did watch the video email you a copy of the file.

Comment

I just downloaded the video and then watched it through windows media player. What an awesome idea (Im thinking how could I make one)lol be alot cheaper if anyone tries let me know how it works.

Jerrid
                and then he said, "on your death bed, you will receive total consciousness" so I got that going for me...... which is nice!

Comment

so let me get this strait the ball goes up the lift rods without pushing up against them? so you get rid of yo-yos and spinners but what about at the y because your preference system never locked? It looked really cool on the video but of course they're not going to advertise it when it messes up, right, and 7000 line without an at the y call i doubt it . It just seems to be a lot of money to spend to get rid of 2 calls that we already have fixs for that work just fine i.e. kickers and s.b.e.'s. But i would like to see one in person to check it out.

Comment

Another concern that I would have after thinking about it. That paddle to me looked like it was stainless steel, maybe it is nylon, I would have to watch it again on my home comp. with the better video card but I could swear it is metal (at least thats what it looked like) in which ball damage would be a factor. The occasional pin that trips the cushion letting the ball slam into the long rod, if caught the paddle when it was coming around would put a pretty nice nick in a soft bowling ball. I think ill e-mail the guy and get some more info on it, will post what I find out.

Jerrid
                    and then he said, "on your death bed, you will receive total consciousness" so I got that going for me...... which is nice!

Comment

sorry for the misinformation
                      this quoted from the website:

The BallChaser began about 8 years ago, when a young pinsetter mechanic, tired of cleaning ballwheels 3 times a shift and running 30+ ball calls a night, had an idea. It's easy to come up with an idea, but he soon learned that turning an idea into a tangible, working product was not so easy. He began by hand-making a rubber prototype, which was attached to a machine's ballwheel with nylon wire-ties. When the ball slammed into the cross conveyor, he realized that the idea would work, but the machine would need to be slowed down a bit! So, he started working on pulley ratios, and what would be needed to adapt the pinsetter to this slower speed. Several pulley changes were made until the prototype began to produce better results. Even with the slower speed, it was not exactly a thing of beauty. The ball would get jammed under the pit cushion on occasion, and a design change was imminent. Finally, it came to him! A wedge was needed, with a guide finger to urge the ball into the rods. OK, so how could it be made? The young lad went and bought a few pieces of scrap nylon, and began hand-forming a new prototype, completely different from the original. A unit was produced with a router and circular saw that ran 5,092 games without a single ball stop! Now, there was a reason to go on with the idea! The new patent-pending design created a positive contact with the bowling ball and could guide, lift, and deposit the ball in one smooth, easy motion. This positive contact allowed the pinsetter to be impervious to lane oil building up on the ballwheel: a problem that had hindered the machine for nearly 50 years! The design as it is today, is capable of running over 7,000 games without a single spinner or yo-yo and the machine's ballwheel and guide rollers run at less than 1/3 their normal speed resulting in a huge wear & tear savings. Not only that, but there was no need for disposable carpet/kicker strips anymore! The unit would literally pay for itself in just a couple of seasons!

im just wondering how you could attach something like that to a ballwheel, wire ties IMO would not hold up. Also there is about an inch of clearance between the ballwheel and the motor mount bracket at the top of the machine. The peice in the video seemed rather large to fit through this space, nevertheless what an inovative idea!

jerrid

[This message has been edited by jerrid (edited 11-16-2000).]

Comment

I was wondering about this Ballcahser thing. On the video...is it on a Model A or A2 pinsetter? In responce to the preference comment...It doesn't take much to move the preference bar. The ball looks like it rides on bare lift rods. I sometimes lock the preference bar when cleaning lift rods! If the Ballchaser is on a Model A pinsetter...than you don't need to worry about the preference system at all. On an A...as soon as the ball is on the return tracks on the odd lane...then it locks the preference ball stop on the even lane...not when the ball is going up the lift rods. And why use bare lift rods? Why didn't they just put hard urethane covering just so at least the lift rods won't get damaged and/or bent! Just something to think about...=)

Brandon Adams
                        Imperial and Twin Oaks Lanes
                        Toledo, Ohio

Comment

Ok, I went to this site off a referral by a friend. I had this similar idea before. Again I had the problem with the ball wheel traveling too fast. But then I got promoted to desk, and didn't really think about it much anymore. Now we've changed houses, lane machine, machines, and oil (all new), and we have nothing but ball calls, and when I seen this site, the idea came back to me.

It looks like there isn't a problem w/using rubber on rails, they just took it off on the video to show how easy the balls go up. According to the site, the wedge is made of solid steal, thicker than the ball wheel itself, and they claim that it has caused NO ball damage (also w/out rail rubber). I've sat down and thought about how this thing has to attach, and the only thing I can think is that is has side pieces that go around the sides of the ball wheel to mount. There is enough clearence on my A2's to do this, as long as the sides aren't that thick. I didn't think about the motor mount on the A2's, I know the A's had enough clearence to play w/.

The only thing I can't see is, why would this guy put SO MUCH info on his site??? I know if I would put my mind to it, and give my engineer friends pulley ratio problems, and go to a local fabrication place, and give them the specs in need for a wedge to mount on the ball wheel, this guy just gave me his idea, and I can probably spend around $75 a lane instead of the $349... Just a thought, not saying I have enough time to do that...

Well, you get the idea, and I don't even know if there was a point to this reply, just enjoy :-)

-------
                          B White
                          Expo 300

Comment

I put in an order for one of these gizmos seems because of high demand they are on back order for about six weeks. Will post some more info when I recieve one.

Jerrid

Comment

Below is an e-mail response to some questions I posed to Robert Harris at Ballchaser. My original e-mail to him is below his response.

Subj: Re: Ballchaser questions...
                              Date: 12/2/00 1:05:49 PM Eastern Standard Time
                              To: JBEES101@aol.com

Steve:

Thank you for your inquiry on the BallChaser!
                              You've asked some well thought questions! I apologize for the delay in getting back to you, but here are the replies:

1. The preference system will work just as it always does, because the ball does still push against the lift rods.
                              2. There are 2 ways to mount the device: you can drill 4 1/4" holes in the ballwheel, which will not destroy it! We have drilled close to 75 holes in one ballwheel, and it has not warped or been damaged in any way. The other option, and the fastest, is to weld the BallChaser to the Ballwheel.
                              3. On the factory A-2s, we have converted the motor mount shaft to allow clearance for the ballchaser. This requires cutting 5 inches off the end of the motor mount, and sliding the conversion into the end of the tube. A very simple and effective repair.
                              4. With the reduced speed of the ballwheel, we have not seen 1 pin get carried up the liftrods. However, there could be a turn pan problem that may cause a pin to fall in at the right moment possibly. If you did somehow get a jam like this, the ballwheel belt will slip just as it would on a stock machine.
                              5. Some of the original prototypes were made of nylon, however, the product will be made of steel because it is much longer lasting! I designed this product to last because I am a mechanic, and I got so sick of buying disposable junk, and chasing bowling balls, that I said ok, there has to be something better, and now we have the BallChaser. it is capable of lasting years and years, and it is one of the only products out there that will pay for itself in what it saves!
                              We have run over 13,000 games on our prototypes, and have had no ball damage, no spins or yo-yos, and we have not change one hub & tire or nylon flange! I still have a hard time believing it myself! You have to see it to believe it...

I believe that was all of your questions! I would need to know the type of machines that you have in your center.
                              Let me know if you have any other concerns!

Thank you,

Robert J. Harris
                              President
                              WHM Enterprises, Inc. <a href="http://www.ballchaser.com/" target="_blank"><a href="http://www.ballchaser.com/" target="_blank"><a href="http://www.ballchaser.com/" target="_blank"><a href="http://www.ballchaser.com/" target="_blank"><a href="http://www.ballchaser.com/" target="_blank"><a href="http://www.ballchaser.com/" target="_blank"><a href="http://www.ballchaser.com/" target="_blank"><a href="http://www.ballchaser.com/" target="_blank"><a href="http://www.ballchaser.com/" target="_blank">http://www.ballchaser.com/</a></a></a></a></a></a></a></a></a>

----- Original Message -----
                              To: info@ballchaser.com
                              Sent: Friday, November 17, 2000 3:12 PM
                              Subject: Ballchaser questions...

Kevin,
                              I visited your site and I have some questions about your product.
                              1. Do you solve the problem of the preference system if the ball doesn't push
                              against the lift rods?
                              2. To mount this device, will I have to destroy my ball wheel by drilling
                              into it. I would be hesitant to drill my ball wheel.
                              3. Do you solve the clearance problem between the ball wheel and the motor
                              shaft on the factory A-2's. The clearance there is less than 1 inch.
                              Converted A-2's and A's have around 1 1/2 inches of clearance and I can see
                              your device fitting through there.
                              4. What happens if the paddle device carries a pin up the lift rods with a
                              ball and jams against the lift rod spring rod or return track? With the
                              reduction in speed you have accomplished, you have increased the torque
                              applied to the ball wheel and that could cause grave results if a pin gets
                              stuck.
                              5. Is the paddle made of nylon as you have led me to believe in the history
                              section or is it metal as it appears to be? A metal one could cause a lot of
                              ball damage if a corner gets broken. A nylon one would solve that
                              problem...but how strong could it be? Maybe it is a metal plate covered by
                              nylon? (Just thinking out loud...)

As you can see, I have a few issues with the device. I am, however, very
                              interested in this. I am a mechanic in a 48 lane center. Thanks in advance
                              for your response.

Steve
                              Main Event Entertainment

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                              widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Rake sweeping out of time, and pin launching onto lane.

I work on some nice old Brunswick A-2 pin setters. Most issues I've come across haven't been to problematic to figure out. But being I can't seem to get it to recreate the issue...

Strange sweep problem

I’m a rookie mechanic and have been working on pinsetters for 2 years. One of my lanes has a problem with a sweep possibly coasting. I don’t know what could be causing it...

GSX Distributor shaft bearings

Two part topic:
                              1. Plastic bearing (#66) used in place of regular sealed bearing (#51) -- thoughts?

2. ANY of these bearings with the black support mount...

The Legacy of the A2

I was recently disheartened to learn that a bowling center that I once serviced was actively looking to replace their A2's. I understand that most military bases and educational...

Table turning on short stroke.

Hello dear Bowltech members.
                              First let me say thank you for your time. am plagued by a big issue for three weeks now.
                              our technician is working full time on another...

Another pivot bearing broke.

One and a half year old GSX machines. This will be the 5th pivot bearing that has broke. This one decided to take out a few things with it. Snapped the stroke limiter shock stud...
                              Working...
                              X