Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jiggy Rigging!!

Just wanted to start a funny topic! What is your best jiggy rig to keep the bowlers happy and to keep them from moving? My best one was when the plate and stop bar broke off from the Y-switch track. I put kicker strips under the plate and stop bar to keep it level. I also used 4 springs. 2 of them from the stop bar to the y-switch track in front of the shaft and the other 2 from the ends of the stop bar to the return track frames. I also pulled the ball wiper all the way back under the plate to keep the ball from touching the springs. I duct taped a rag on each side of the accelerator track to keep balls from bouncing around and/or getting damaged. After I did that for 10 minutes turned the lanes back on and not a ball call the rest of the night. I didn't leave it jiggy rigged of course...I replaced the entire Y-switch track after league play was finished. I felt like I was the god of A2 pinsetter the whole night! =) Try doing this if you have the same problem with the plate and stop bar breaking off the Y-switch track. It takes about 5-10 minutes to do and the bowlers stay happy! HAVE FUN =)

Brandon Adams
    Imperial and Twin Oaks Lanes
    Toledo, Ohio

[This message has been edited by A2 PinChaser (edited 11-22-2000).]

Re: Jiggy Rigging!!

It's AMF,but...

Many years ago,we were hosting the county tournament.A distributor went whacko...kept overshooting the 2 pin pocket in the bin....so ,we just nailed a board to the catwalk & let the pin bounce into the bin....worked the whole day !
    I never had a "10" ;..but ,one night after closing,..I did five " 2's" !

Comment

My favorite war story involved a no start till all start, state tournament in Mo. Midway into first squad, a selenium let go, taking the transformer with it. 32 lanes of full squads, all day long.
      Luckly there were two mechanics with a combined twenty years experience, in the back with me. Plugged the pit light into the wall, tied down the main contactor, let one of the mechs, watch the deck, with his hand on the breaker, to make certain all pins were set, the other controlled the pin gate so no pins delivered until rake back at 180. Running 15 pins, with mag clutch locked up
      Taped the transformer to the electrical channel, cut all wires at old transformer and spliced the new ones in one at a time, leaving h1 and h4 till last. Reinstalled new selenium, in same manner.
      Pair actually finished somewhat ahead of the slowest squad. Owner was informed of the risk ahead of time, but thought the gamble to the machine worth it. Luckly there were two pinchasers to handle pin spots etc.
      Roscoe
      rfm

Comment

First, Roscoe, Friggin' wow! That is awesome!
        Second, and much less impressive, is one of my faves. 40 lanes-full house, of course. I had deck lowering link bearings bite the dust, leaving me with races riding races--no balls. You'll lose quite a bit of stroke that way. I cut a short piece of maple lane stock, taped it in the end of the link under the deck lift pin and it ran the rest of the nite.

Comment

Roscoe:

My hat off to you!

Talk about performing under pressure, fantastic job.

Kat
          "Where are we going, and why are we in a hand basket?"

--Kat

Comment

Good gracious, I have a ton of these... Having major ball problems, try duct taping a small wrag to the ball wheel, should last you the night. But my all time favorite; now you're going to have to excuse my termanology, I'm not a mechanic, just pin chaser. But one day I had a problem w/lane one, wouldn't stop resetting. The lift arm on the reset mechanism wouldn't come up high enough to grab the reset thing, and pull it down. So I was like, hmmmm.. . Grabbed a boungee cord, hung from ceiling to reset lifter, worked two weeks before mechanic even realized it (didn't leave a note on purpose)

2nd fav, ball lift mount broke at the top, needed some serious welding, took three pair of vise grips and ta-da. FIXED for the night.

Comment

Are you seriuos? Your head mechanic didn't see the bungee cord hanging from the ceiling?...or was he just to lazy to get a little dirty!

Brandon Adams
              Imperial and Twin Oaks Lanes
              Toledo, Ohio

Comment

After taking over a very neglected center, I have seen some pretty outrageous "jiggy rigging" one of my favorites was on the ball wheel belt idler tension spring. Apparently no one was strong enough to put it on the right way so they took the ends off of some bungee cords and hooked the spring through it then put the cord end on the idler pulley, I got a good laugh out of that... needless to say they all went in the trash that night.

jerrid
                and then he said, "on your death bed, you will receive total consciousness" so I got that going for me...... which is nice!

Comment

good god, have you all gone to jiggy-rig school???.......just kidding. anyway, i had a similar problem with lane 31. the weldment broke right off, after bieng welded four times before. i just took a flange roller bracket and u bolt, put it in place, and tightened it down to hold it. but in the daily frame of things, it didnt get fixed till almost a month later. i had totally forgotten about it and left it. went back to it, and it was just as tight as it was when i put it on.....

Comment

lots of great ideas! hope i can remember them all! my favorite one is the broken turret wire that keeps causing waiting pins.in a pinch blacktape and a popcsicle stick will get u threw the night.great subject!!!!!!

Comment

Quote:]<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by quasarthegr8:
                      lots of great ideas! hope i can remember them all!</font>[/QUOTE]

Print them out, silly.

Comment

one Jiggy rigging I had to do one day was on the shaker mat...
                        on of the bolts holding the plates onto the skaker (the wooden shakers)had come loose and was making a VERY loud banging noise...
                        was in the middle of a tournement,
                        grabed a pair of vice grips and clamped it down!
                        stoped the noise and was fine for 2 days till I had time to take it out and fix it!

I've got a few more... just trying to remeber them!

------------------
                        Tech

Comment

Well let's see.... I can't recall the exact cause of the problem it's been awhile but durring a PBA stop at my center lane 13 would NOT come out of 180 so seven rubber bands from the 180 lever to the fat spring on the clutch reset lever and bingo happy PBA players

Comment

Well, I know I've done more than my fair share of cobbling up machines due to lack of parts/time... But I ~have~ to share my all-time favorite, although it didn't happen in the bowling alley. The technology applies though, at least [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif[/img] I had a water pump belt break on my Cutlass, mid-winter, 'bout 15 miles from town. Struggled and thought for a while... ended up wrapping electrical tape around crank pulley and water pump... (gave about 10 wraps...) Had to replace it after 7 miles, and the second attempt got me into town safely. Remember ~that~ next time you lose a belt and don't have a spare :p

Most recent rigging, I've got one lane with a broken turret frame. I've been babying it until I can get time to tear it down (machine shop ~thinks~ they can weld it...) I won't use the machine unless we absolutely need it. Well, something got snagged somewhere, for a few days you had to turn 11 with 12 so the ball lift would work. (Fixed itself before I could find the problem... hmm) Anyway, I needed 12 during Rock-n-Bowl Friday night. Being understaffed, there's no way I'm letting kids bowl on it when I can't watch for deck jams, since the turret frame will flex now, instead of stopping the machine (NOT good) so I couldn't leave 11 running unattended, or else kids would just move in and start shooting. Unplugged the motor, unplugged the pin lamp, and fired 'er up [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img] Green ball light comes on, but machine's dark, and ball return worked for 12. Success [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img]
                            Oldsmagnet -- Sidney MT

Comment

a corny thing i do sometimes is on the GS 98 when the rubber jaws fall off the spotting tongs and pins wont pick up i go get a styrofoam cup and cut the top off and use it as a jaw. also duct tape does a good job too.

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                              widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Well this is a first.

We all from time to time have one of those “wow I’ve never seen THAT before” moments. Well today was one of those for me when my night tech texts me to say lane 16 is out...

Ball return wheel guide roller removal.

Hey guys, i could just use a bit of advice trying to get this part out, first time I've had to do one of these. I got it to move a few turns but its come to a point where it has...

Even old mechanics find something new.

All my years working on these things I never had this happen…… until last week. ...

82-90XL Frontend Gearbox Parts - Rebuild Woes

We have 5 of the 088000365 replacement gear kits on the shelf, and I pulled two gearboxes off machines earlier this week, so I thought I'd try my hand at rebuilding them and save...

Prolane damage

Can this be repaired?

LED Ball Lights

Made an LED conversion for A2's and Frameworx masks. It can also be modded for the Harmony masks to accept 2 x 5mm led's and/or a 12v supply. Once I'm happy with the performance/design...
                              Working...
                              X