Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Minor / Major Injuries

Just wanted to know what minor or major injuries anyone has while working on a machine? I had my first real 'major' injury tonight after almost 2 years of experience and knowledge of these machines.

The pinwheel belt came off of lane 3...its like 2 in the morning and almost time to go home. WRONG! I was putting the belt back on (machine off of course)and manually rotating the wheel to get it to go on but it was being stubborn so I started pushing it thru and somehow my middle finger got stuck between the pinwheel and I guess its part of the frame. I was like...hmm, I'll just pull it out. WRONG...wouldnt budge...started panicing. Tried everything to get it out but it wouldnt come out and started hurting. MY options....yank it out or keep rotating the pinwheel until it came out. Guess which one I did?? Well, blood gushing everywhere...pain starting to kick in...wrap it up with a towel and put pressure on it. Now its about 6 in the morning and I just got home from the emergency room. "Doctor Doesnt know what a pinsetter is"....debated whether or not I needed stitches...nope....just a splint for 2 weeks. LOL..."what's a pinsetter?" Read my work shirt...bowling.....hmm....duhhhhhhhhh!

Anyways, so what's some of the injuries you guys have had?

Re: Minor / Major Injuries

now that i am in a bruns center now, not too many injuries accept i keep forgeting to duck my head sometimes, keep raising up under the turret and always keep a gouge or two up on the bald spot.
    used to work at an a m f house alot of pinched fingers from the cups springing back. lost half of my thumbnail trying to put a pinwheel belt back on. had blood dripping everywhere.

didnt bleed to death so i am still around.

jeff kuhnle
    twin oaks lanes
    toledo ohio
    WE ARE NOW REALLY TWIN OAKS LANES.

Comment

Let see it was about 2 years ago, my father was clearing a deck jam on lane 11 in our center which is right next to the walkway. There was a pile-up in the 7 pin bucket so he was taking the pins out and he had his right arm in-between part of the frame where the rake arm pulls back. Well, he forgot to shut the power off and when he cleared the deck jam, the pinsetter turned on and the rake arm came back and crushed his arm. He screamed for help and a few of the senior bowlers ran down and shut the machine off and got his arm out. Fortunately, it was a bad break and he severed some nervs and thank god the machines were on A speed at the time or else he probably would have lost his arm. Now this is why everyone tells pinchasers/mechanics to SHUT THE MACHINE OFF IF YOU ARE CLEARING OR FIXING SOMETHING!!

Comment

I was oiling the pit cushion follower links one night during league and on the last one when I reached in with my left hand placed my right hand between the frame and pin wheel. When my thumb got wedged into the larger part of the wheel it acutally stopped the pin wheel, I reached up and shut it off and backed the wheel up with my other hand until my thumb came out, turned the machine on. Everyone liked the idea of my new thumb size, from 15/16 with a 4x4 oval to a 63/64 with a 5x5 oval, they could all throw my stuff now. I bowled the next day after all the thumb was numb so it didn't hurt at all and only stayed that size for 3 weeks. Needless to say I pay more attention to where I am placing my hand while doing anything.
        What a deal
        Drill
        Drill

David Bolt
        Champaign, IL
        USBC Silver Coach
        IBPSIA BOD
        IBPSIA Advanced
        Technical Certified
        Pro Shops

Comment

In 28 years, I have seen several injuries.

One of the guys I worked with in Omaha in 1974 got his hand between the turnbuckle and the rabbit ear. Popped his thumb off at the first knuckle.

Remember the discreet scorer? I was pulling an all nighter, rebuilding the printer assys. Hit the switch with my hand in the top of computer. My finger was sucked into the Y-drive gear and I had about 15 stitches.

3 different mechanics I know had severe hand injuries when cleaning near moving belts and their hands were pulled into motor pullies or idler pullies.

When I was 19, I was standing with my foot in side frame while adjusting the next machines turnbuckle, my foot was caught between the rake and the frame. Didn't break anything, but I still have trouble with the foot when it gets wet or cold outside.

There have been more, if I remember details I will post them later. When most guys get hurt, it is because they are not paying attention to safety standards or they are overtired from working too much.

Be safe and don't over work yourselves!!!

Comment

When I got into this game, about a year ago, I was working on a deck lift shaft. The deck was sitting on a full rack of pins and I started removing them one at a time. Well, when I removed the last pin, which was the 7 pin, down came the deck trapping my right arm between the deck and the pin deck. You know, you just don not lift the deck assy from a face down position with your off hand. I am kicking and hollering for the desk person to assist me. The poor seniors thought I had been seriously injured. Just bruised the arm a bit. But, i did learn to put 4 X 4 blocks under that thing if I am going to be working under there.

Comment

ive been doing this about 15 years, working on everything from brunswick, amf, bowl mor, and sherman, and the only time i ever got injured was from the old model 52 duckpin machine from bowl mor. my arm got caught in the chain-driven pin lift while i was clearing a jam, and the machine proceeded to lift me off the floor by my arm. needless to say, i had my arm pulled from the socket (left arm) and had to get a sling for it, but otherwise, ive been lucky. the reason i got hurt was due to inexperience of the machine and its functions. it all goes back to safety training!!

Comment

when i was 16 i was doing something on a brunswick a2 and i was reaching under the cross conveyer to grab the linkage under the turret to prevent the linkage from unlocking at 270 when setting a new set. the reason escapes me now why i was doing it but, i forgot about the mechanical counters on the deck lift shaft and as i was holding the linkage and the deck shaft pivoted, the counter box crushed my rt thumb into the main cross frame right above the deck lift shaft. didn't break my thumb but i needed 7 stiches on the left side right where the knuckle is. my thumb has never been the same.

Comment

The only real problem I got into was on the 82-30's. I was pulling the rear roller and got a finger caught in the far side exit hole. the weight of the roller had my finger pinned there. Couldn't do a damn thing except wait for someone to come find me. luckily my side of the building had some open play still going. After about 5 pages for an OOR on lane 35, and the front desk screaming at me, the mech from the other side came over. I think I was on the ground for about 45 minutes.

Comment

Years ago when i was just a pin chaser, I got an out of range call. I went to get the deadwood before I pulled the oor link. The oor pin must have been leaning a little and the deadwood was right next to it when I pushed the deadwood the oor pin fell, and the deck fell on my left arm. Didnt break it but it was swollen up about twice normal size.

Comment

The most common injury I have seen is not one caused by the actual pinsetter, but by a hand tool: the utility knife. Years ago while working for the now defunct Fair Lanes, we were installing A-2s for a new center. It was our job to replace all the lift rod hose. On one machine, after the hose was on, a guy was using the knife to cut the hose off the roll. He was holding on the the lift rod with his left hand near the spring rod shaft and cutting the hose with his right hand. You know how much resistance the hose has when you try to cut through it so he had a lot of pressure on it. The knife came flying through the edge of the hose and right through the base of his thumb on his left hand. There was instant blood, so I knew it was deep. Turns out he cut some tendons and they shot up his arm like rubber bands. When he came back from the emergency room, he had a cast on past his elbow. So now, I tell this story to all my guys to make sure they respect the dangers of this tool.

Comment

The most common injury I have seen is not one caused by the actual pinsetter, but by a hand tool: the utility knife. Years ago while working for the now defunct Fair Lanes, we were installing A-2s for a new center. It was our job to replace all the lift rod hose. On one machine, after the hose was on, a guy was using the knife to cut the hose off the roll. He was holding on the the lift rod with his left hand near the spring rod shaft and cutting the hose with his right hand. You know how much resistance the hose has when you try to cut through it so he had a lot of pressure on it. The knife came flying through the edge of the hose and right through the base of his thumb on his left hand. There was instant blood, so I knew it was deep. Turns out he cut some tendons and they shot up his arm like rubber bands. When he came back from the emergency room, he had a cast on past his elbow. So now, I tell this story to all my guys to make sure they respect the dangers of this tool.

Comment

my worst injury to date would be the 6 stiches i received above my eye through the eyebrow. i was getting deadwood on lane 1 and when i turned around to go back to the shop i walked right into the "safety" screen that goes on the end lanes of brunswick machines....not one of my better moments. most of my other injuries come from my fingers jumping in front of the hammer and whatever i'm banging on at the time. it's a little joke they like to play on me from time to time to see if i'm paying attention, i guess.
                          Conditioner: Pantene Pro-V Brunette Expressions with Color Enhancer
                          Cleaner: Fabuloso Spring Fresh with Bleach Alternative
                          Cloth: ShamWow!
                          Machine: Johnny 5
                          Surface: Melamine-impregnated, phenolic-treated, high pressure pressed craft paper

Comment

I have found that the biggest threat to injurry is getting hit by a bowl. And not by children either. those damn high-roller guys! The call for a lane to be fixed and as soon as you get to it they throw another ball! Scrath league night is my most dangerous night! Those guys want it fixed and want it fixed now! Its like they think i can just push a button to get it running perfectly again. But anyway, one time they wanted us to check the lane for damaging, balls, so the other guy working with me, turns off the lane, waits about a minute to make sure they see that it is off!...he takes the curtain down, sticks his head in and looks around only to find a 16 pound ball rushing at him at "professional bowler's speed" nearly missing him by inches. Then the same night, we get a callbecause a pair wont cycle after ball is thrown. We have electronic triggering systems so naturally, if im going to test the sensor i need to get on the floor and try to trip it myself. Well as soon as i get off the lane, a ball zips by missing me by less than a second! i said to hell with them and i let it be for a while...they got impatient and asked to be moved (30 seconds later)to a pair that they didnt know haddnt been oiled that night! Yep so that fixed them!

Comment

last injury i had on a machine was after moving 3000 miles from wa state to texas got to texas at 2am got an interview by noon and started working at 3pm the same day was plum exhausted work 3 days without much recuperation from trip now the machines i worked on in wa state had a bar between machines for step up these didnt have that stepped well on 3rd day working while stepping off the machine i stepped for that invisible step and wound up against the wall on my back found out after going ahead n finishing my shift found out at hospital i had sprained my back,had a concussion and a sprained ankle well i only took 3 days off to rest up only because it was doctors orders doctors wanted me to stay off work longer

------------------
                              james
                              james

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                              widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Rake sweeping out of time, and pin launching onto lane.

I work on some nice old Brunswick A-2 pin setters. Most issues I've come across haven't been to problematic to figure out. But being I can't seem to get it to recreate the issue...

Strange sweep problem

I’m a rookie mechanic and have been working on pinsetters for 2 years. One of my lanes has a problem with a sweep possibly coasting. I don’t know what could be causing it...

GSX Distributor shaft bearings

Two part topic:
                              1. Plastic bearing (#66) used in place of regular sealed bearing (#51) -- thoughts?

2. ANY of these bearings with the black support mount...

The Legacy of the A2

I was recently disheartened to learn that a bowling center that I once serviced was actively looking to replace their A2's. I understand that most military bases and educational...

Table turning on short stroke.

Hello dear Bowltech members.
                              First let me say thank you for your time. am plagued by a big issue for three weeks now.
                              our technician is working full time on another...

Another pivot bearing broke.

One and a half year old GSX machines. This will be the 5th pivot bearing that has broke. This one decided to take out a few things with it. Snapped the stroke limiter shock stud...
                              Working...
                              X