Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cutting Turret Wires?

We have started rebuilding our turret baskets assemblies. Pretty simple job, except for one thing. The head mechanic wants the turret wires cut. He wants them cut at the point when the turret clamps cover them (one cut at top and one at bottom). The reason, he says, is that the pressure at the point where the wires emerge from the clamp will be less. At first, I thought he was right. But now, I think otherwise. I don't think the pressure is relieved in any way, when the clamps are tightened down. What do you guys think?

The extra work in cutting the wires is very time consuming. It is also difficult to install the wires, since you have to hold four wires instead of two.

Has anyone else tried this?

Re: Cutting Turret Wires?

The original turret wires were built that way. Your head mechanic probably worked on that style turret wire long ago.
    You will have less broken turret wires, but as you said, they are a pain to put on. The reason they are now welded together is for convenience when installing them.

Comment

We bought 2 turrets to replace old worn out units and our supplier gave us models with those type of wires on them,said we would have fewer broken wires on those units.True...if they still made them it would be a pain to install.I would'nt even consider cutting them due to the man hours involved and...all in all how many wires break in a season.Is'nt worth cutting them to me.

Comment

Just a short money saving tip as long as you are talking about cutting turret wires. I have for years now cut the good half off of all broken turret wires and saved them. Take two opposite halves and you have one good turret wire again. Turret wires do not cost alot but every little bit helps. Another plus is that these wires once cut in half rarely fail. Playball2hard
        Treat everyday like it could be your last day!

Comment

I just started using a tig on my broken ones and can't see where I will ever need to buy another one unless they just wear out.

Drill
          Drill

David Bolt
          Champaign, IL
          USBC Silver Coach
          IBPSIA BOD
          IBPSIA Advanced
          Technical Certified
          Pro Shops

Comment

I always thought they was broken didn't know someone was going around cutting them I've seen them alot and I heard other mechanics say they won't change them if they are broke at the top and bottom but I always have changed them out if I have a spare and just welded them back together if possible try to keep them in good shape and clean and shiney they tend to get a lot of built up gunk on them. Heres the red flags I see when changing them out.

Thank You All! For All the prayers and and the out pouring of good spirits in my time of need greatly appreciated!

Comment

i do cut my broken ones to make sets. i send
              my broken halves to maintenance and they weld
              the breaks. cutting them does seem to reduce the
              stress. i have yet to change a cut one.

Comment

Don Bain mentioned this in school. It does relieve stress and so less wires break. I'm sure not going to go through and do this, but when one comes out for welding I do this.
                For as in Adam all die, so in Christ all will be made alive

Comment

i've seen a few broken there, but none with cut marks. i usaully dont do anything with one broken there, opnce in and bolted tight you cant tell the difference.

when one breaks in the middle i typically weld them together. you have to leave it smooth where the pins touch but that takes 10 seconds with a grinder. i do most of my welding on the back side and can leave it thick there. i havent bought a single turret wire in a year, i havent thrown one or even half of one away either.
                  even for those without the ability to weld you can cut the wire into just the two ends and use the sleeves for the 4 piece wire (PN 12-150324-000 for 2,3,4,6,8,9 or 12-150309-000 ofr the 1,7, and 10).
                  also i perfer the 4 piece wire in the 1, 7 and 10 position, they are more solid and and installing can fix a fail to index on that position.

junk, a hose clamp? what was that guy thinking?
                  i've used duct tape to get through a game during leagues, but a hose clamp.... that just takes too much time to bother with and you might get tempted to not come back and fix it later.

Comment

I use to silversoldier(gas weld) the broken ones. Silversoldier with 5% silver is what is used in high pressure copper piping systems(AKA cooler,freezer,A/C). Then grind the impact area smooth as stated above.

Jim Long

Comment

Quote:]junk, a hose clamp? what was that guy thinking?
                      i've used duct tape to get through a game during leagues, but a hose clamp.... [/QUOTE]
                      I usually can find a way to make a zip tie work! (Sometimes I forget them and "what's that blue color ton that turret"???
                      I alos grease the inside of the tube end on the 4 piece wires...
                      For as in Adam all die, so in Christ all will be made alive

Comment

God those 4 piece wires are a pain, however I rarely see any of those break and need replaced. To the OP that was the way they were made they arent cut.
                        B Mechanic Freeway Lanes of Parma
                        42 Old Otis A's, Steltronic Scoring, Kegel ION Sport

Comment

wire ties are ok for a temp quick fix. i like the duct tape cause it cant scratch pins at all, and it will only last 2 or 3 games there so you cant forget it for long.

the 4 piece ones are an itch compared to the normal wires. but they are a great quick fix for a turret that wont index on 1,7, or 10. their solidness seems to really help the pin hit the lever harder. it may not 100% fix your index problem but even a 50% improvement will be noticed.
                          when i install those i usually put the bottom piece into the clamp on the bottom plate then assemble the rest of it and tighten everything down.

someone had taken our collection of the 4 pieces and welded the sleeve onto the ends. they fit right and they dont come apart. but with the lousy weld quality and the fact i may want to take one apart someday i dont think i care for that idea. its probable those came from another house we got to salvage at, cause they werent here one day and then 20 or so were here.

Comment

I don't know about the hose clamp deal but I've seen alot of wire clips and hanger wire welds and tape all over these they must have been in need of turret wires and never got the chance to change them out but I've gone through most of them and cleaned them up with the good spares I could find in the back.

Alot of these came from another center back in the day that closed down and have been running with the same setup for sometime now apperantly I just found them and started changing them out after doing the inspections and finding good spares that can be used in place of the old ones that needed to go imo.

All the quick fixes are fine as long as they get taken care of but when they get left in forever its very time consuming to go through and replace the whole house with quick fix issues everywhere.

I'm getting them all sorted out though pretty much have replaced all the really bad ones that were causing issues and failures. The machines are running pretty smooth now just need to get the deadwood issues under control and I'll be running high fps for the first time in my carrer as a pinchaser mechanic. Then life will be good.

I've tracked the fps at over 1000fps so far including all the deadwood calls and its going up with high linage so the turret wires arent an issue anymore now that I've taken care of those and the pin gate issues and turret clutches that were needing serviced.

Slowly getting there I might make the 2000 fps level sometime in my carrer and be content with stuff that is running smooth and have more time to do other projects that are often overlooked in this place that I keep finding to do rather then cutting turret wires I'll be cutting down the stops that are needing attention.
                            Thank You All! For All the prayers and and the out pouring of good spirits in my time of need greatly appreciated!

Comment

im not sure why people even cut turret wires. i have not cut the first one, and have only replaced 2 in 3 years...
                              jsebeny1980@gmail.com | jsebeny <--YouTube | Cell: 309-275-2453

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                              widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Approach Wear - DBA IQ/Anvilane

Our approach panels have a lot of wear at the joint between the first approach panel and the approach/heads panel. Nearly every one has the printed image worn through to various...

Rake sweeping out of time, and pin launching onto lane.

I work on some nice old Brunswick A-2 pin setters. Most issues I've come across haven't been to problematic to figure out. But being I can't seem to get it to recreate the issue...

Strange sweep problem

I’m a rookie mechanic and have been working on pinsetters for 2 years. One of my lanes has a problem with a sweep possibly coasting. I don’t know what could be causing it...

GSX Distributor shaft bearings

Two part topic:
                              1. Plastic bearing (#66) used in place of regular sealed bearing (#51) -- thoughts?

2. ANY of these bearings with the black support mount...

The Legacy of the A2

I was recently disheartened to learn that a bowling center that I once serviced was actively looking to replace their A2's. I understand that most military bases and educational...

Table turning on short stroke.

Hello dear Bowltech members.
                              First let me say thank you for your time. am plagued by a big issue for three weeks now.
                              our technician is working full time on another...
                              Working...
                              X