Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have a question...

I was wondering if anyone out there can tell me exactly what an A-2 converted machine is?? I work at a center that has 24 model A pinsetters and 8 A-2 pinsetters that were installed years after the first 24. Anyway...I know our A-2 machines are A-2 converted because they use the deck lowering link system rather than the scotch yoke found on factory machines. They also have features that fit under the model A machine according to the Pinsetter manuals. (We have copies for both the A and A-2 of course) Things such as 2 of the large compression springs which I heard is a feature the model A has, although our A machines all have only one, and also some very minor things such as slightly diferent designs of the deck support arms. Anyway, is there anyone that can give me a little background on the two diferent machines? Thanks.

Re: I have a question...

Not all factory A-2 have scotch yokes...just before they were discontinued, they went back to lowering links like the one found on page 33 of your green parts manual. Part # 12-100503

The deciding factor to your question would be in the serial numbers on your A-2's. If they are below 80000, then you will have converted A-2's or they may even fall under the Jet Back series. Most likely you have machines that were converted by removing certain parts and installing the A-2 style version of that part. I have 32 machines like that with 16 Japanese A-2's right next to them. Its quite amazing the similarities and the differences between them. As far as the 2 compression spring guide tubes, one was removed due to the excess twisting that occurred on the rake sweep shafts due to the one on the right hand side of the machine. Brunswick found the second one Guinness. Hope that answers your question.

------------------

Just my two cents worth...

Steve
    TSM & TSM Training Development
    Main Event Entertainment
    480-620-6758 for help or information

Comment

Thanks for your help. But actually I was asking what it means for the machine to be converted. Does it mean that they were once Model A machines? Especially since they all have Model A features on them, such as the 2 compression springs and the extra rake cam for the 90 degree overtravel thing (which none of our machines actually use). Also what is the diference between Japanese machine and American made machines? ONce again thanks for your help.

Comment

Converted means that parts were installed on the original A machine to convert it to an A-2. Specific parts were removed from the A machine such as the return tracks and the A-2 style return tracks were installed in their place. Also the pit cushion, cycle solenoid, electrical system taken out and time delay module put in along with supporting wiring, solid rake lift rod removed and "shot gun assy" installed. Ball boosters were usually installed to help get the ball back quicker. Lift rod assy changed out...well, you get the idea. Many parts get changed out to convert an A to an A-2.

------------------

Just my two cents worth...

Steve
        TSM & TSM Training Development
        Main Event Entertainment
        480-620-6758 for help or information

Comment

Hey there! =) I work at 2 different centers. One center with 12 Model A's and the other one with 60 A-2's! The model a's are rebuilt A's and everthing looks the same as in the old manuals...i think!! And the center I work at has 60 A-2's. The first 14 lanes has the bevel gears that drive the long turret belt and cross conveyor drive. 15-50 are the same as the first 14 but they don't have the bevel gears on them. The last 10 lanes are A's converted into A-2. You can tell by seeing that their isn't any scotish yokes and that they have the extendend rake cams that had the 90 degree overtravels originaly on them. You can also tell that the gearboxes have the orginal houseings on them. That's all that I know. I've only been working on Brunswicks for almost 2 years now!

Brandon Adams
          Imperial and Twin Oaks Lanes
          Toledo, Ohio

Comment

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Pinhead2:

Here's what I can tell you...I work for a chain which currenty has 240 10 pin lanes and 204 5 pin lanes.

The majority of our machines were original model A's, grey in colour...They have all been converted with what was called a Mini Kit Convertion...I don't know if any of you guys will regognize this term but Mini Kit is what Brunswick themselves called it...all it does is convert the triggering system from model A to A2...so what we changed was the cushion, the top shaft (with rabbit ears), cycle solinoid (which faces the opposite way from an A2), added a shot gun and time delay module...we also added ball boosters which apperently were part of the package.

We have two centers that were originally AMF...the Brunswick machines we replaced them with came from the Detroit area...they are green and have the electrical panels in front...At the time we were installing one center with these machines, the head of Brunswick (Canadian division) came in to see them...he told us they were definitely some of the first machines off the line...there are many differences from the rest of our model A's for sure...for a couple of examples, no gasket or paper shims required on the worm shaft, the shaft for the bottom ball wheel guide rollers were factory welded...there are quite a few other things as well...these machines came to us with what I beleive is called the Jet Back Convertion...meaning the triggering system had been replaced like the above mentioned Mini Kit, but also the motor pulley had been changed to speed it up and the ball return tracks are A2...they use A2 kickbacks, the mounting feet on the legs were cut off and replaced with extentions having the A2 style mounting foot. If I remember correctly, they came with acceleraters but we chucked those and put boosters instead.

We also have one center converted like this but it was done in the shop...whoever did it it did a pretty complete job, but you can always easily tell if a machine has been converted.

Then we have two centers with Japanese A2's.

We used to have one center with American A2's but we closed it and Brunswick bought the machines from us.

A couple of easy sure tell tail signs that a machine has been converted with one form of convertion kit or another are, for example, the cycle solinoid is outside of the linkage and facing to the right, the two piece reset lever and double mini rake cams on the 1:1 that control them, leg extentions on both front and back legs, etc etc.

One may not be able to tell so easily from the front of the building...anyone can put an A2 decal on the deck shield *lol*.

I hope this helps give you some idea of how to identify a converted model A from a true A2.

Comment

Thanks for your help everyone. Beerme, from what you described about your green machines sounds like the same conversions on our green A-2 machines. I feel a little special to get the opportunity to work on some of the origional machines. They seem like collectors items. [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img] The only bad thing is, over the years, they havent recieved as much tender love and care as the model "A"s we have. See, the last eight lanes (our A-2 lanes) are where the little kids bowl and all the bumper bowlers are put, so yeah, they arent kept up as well ast the high end of the place. They do keep on running though. In the back we do have some of the parts that were never put on them such as the those big covers that go over the steep part of the ball track. Guess they thought it would look wierd having only eight lanes with them. I dont know what happened to the deck shields though. The origional 24 lanes, if i remember correctly, used to have the deck shields until the last eight lanes were installed. Then they got rid of them. At the time, I was only 6 or 7 years old and I thought they had put new machines in the whole bowling alley. [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
              widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Rake sweeping out of time, and pin launching onto lane.

I work on some nice old Brunswick A-2 pin setters. Most issues I've come across haven't been to problematic to figure out. But being I can't seem to get it to recreate the issue...

Strange sweep problem

I’m a rookie mechanic and have been working on pinsetters for 2 years. One of my lanes has a problem with a sweep possibly coasting. I don’t know what could be causing it...

GSX Distributor shaft bearings

Two part topic:
              1. Plastic bearing (#66) used in place of regular sealed bearing (#51) -- thoughts?

2. ANY of these bearings with the black support mount...

The Legacy of the A2

I was recently disheartened to learn that a bowling center that I once serviced was actively looking to replace their A2's. I understand that most military bases and educational...

Table turning on short stroke.

Hello dear Bowltech members.
              First let me say thank you for your time. am plagued by a big issue for three weeks now.
              our technician is working full time on another...

Another pivot bearing broke.

One and a half year old GSX machines. This will be the 5th pivot bearing that has broke. This one decided to take out a few things with it. Snapped the stroke limiter shock stud...
              Working...
              X