Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ball damage prevention

Just recently(within the last six months) I have begun getting a lot of serious ball damage caused by pins up the lift ahead of the ball. This is happening at random across all 24 of my pinsetters. Most times the pin is wedged upside down with the head caught on the pit cushion shock tower, but this morning I had one wedged between the lift rods up against the spring rod assembly....In any case I need some suggestions on bungee placement and what to hook them to and how to secure them and would welcome any and all methods to control this problem. Frankly I'm tired of vacuuming up "kicker dust" and then having to replace them. Thanks in advance.
    Mike
    "cursing at a pinsetter near you..."

Re: ball damage prevention

Toolz,
    On the pins getting jammed at the shock bracket_are the pin deflector brackets installed?(It is a small bracket that fills the area at the shock bracket to keep pins from jamming). If there are not on,or they are on and still jamming you can make your on deflectors like I did. Just let me know which way you want to go.

On the pins in lift rods_I have installed a pin flipper at the bottom of rods that flips the pin over in the event a pin is standing in lift rods and brought up.These have worked wonders and are easy to install.
    Also a good thing to check for if you have a certain lane giving you this problem is to make sure pins are not getting carried past turn pan this can cause alot of pin in lift rods.

Hope this helps,
    Peanut
    Peanut

Comment

Quality makes these hooks and bungee cords to keep the pins out of the tracks! The hook...hooks along that frame between the pinwheel and ballwheel, and the bungee cords hooks on it and the other end to wherever you desire. We have them all installed. Hope this helps you out...I know it did us!

Brandon Adams
      Imperial and Twin Oaks Lanes
      Toledo, Ohio

Comment

Another thing you can do is put an extension of about 2-3 inches on your ball wheel belt idler arm spring. This allows the ball wheel to function properly during normal operation, but if a pin or other object gets caught in the lift rods, the ball wheel will stop due to the lessened tension on the belt. I have this on all 32 of my machines, and almost never have this type of ball damage.

Comment

To Peanut.....I would love to get the "skinny" on your homemade pin deflectors....especially if they're going to cost me an arm and three legs if I have to order them....

to Brandon.....have a package of the hooks. Had one all over that frame and can't for the life of me figure out how it mounts....more info please....also I'd like to know the length of the bungee you're using....

Thanks guys.....

Mike
          "cursing at a pinsetter near you..."

Comment

Toolz:

The hook mounts between the pin wheel and the round steel tube. About 1/3 of the way up the lift rods, there's a bracket welded to the tube. The hook ends clip over the bracket. VERY important to get the hooks over the bracket, then clip them over the front (approach side) of the bracket as well. If you only put the hooks over the rear half of the bracket, hook will always rub on pin wheel.

Bungee runs from the hook (I remove one end of the bungee and secure that end to the hook with a wire tie), through an eyebolt in the sheet metal plate on the back of the machine, and the end of the bungee that still has a hook on it goes into the next hole in the sheet metal.

I can e-mail a picture if you want:

Kevin

[This message has been edited by KL Kevin (edited 01-19-2001).]

Comment

A cute little trick that can potentially save some money on a ball damage and is to take a piece of garden hose or plastic tubing that is about 3/4 of an inch and cut it into half inch (or so) pieces and squeeze it onto the bolt head that sticks out next to the short track on the lower C+C pulleys. You never know when the pref. sys. will stay locked or a pin will find it's way in to the track and if you have that piece of rubber or plastic tubing there, just long enough to cover the bolt. This works with the bolt type and the hex screw type.
              This seems like some of the worst ball damage anyways. I know some of ya'll are thinking this is just a short cut around proper PM, but I would take the insurance over a beautifully etched gash in a $250 ball anyday!!!

Just my two cents!!

Comment

bobdog...I just read your post, missed it when you posted it...there was a retrofit a few years ago that changed the direction the belt went around the idler pulley. It caused less tension on the belt and seemed like a good idea at the time. I installed it on all 40 machines. I got a pin caught in the lift rods one day and it stopped the ball wheel just as yours do. It also trashed the ball wheel belt where it met the ball wheel drive pulley.. By the time I got to the call, smoke was rolling off the belt and the belt was trash. I removed the kits that day.(after I changed the ball wheel belt) Anybody thinking of doing this idea, I would be careful. Install one on a machine and cause the ball wheel to stop turning. Jam a pin between the belt guard and the ball wheel. See if it causes the belt to slip at the pulley. See if it gets hot. If it does...
                TSM & TSM Training Development
                Main Event Entertainment
                480-620-6758 for help or information

Comment

hey Jbees,
                  I know which retrofit you are talking about, the one the sends the belt over the top of the idler pulley instead of under it.
                  I did not do that, just put extensions on the spring to lessen the belt tension. Everything keeps moving except the ballwheel itself. It does work!!

Comment

Bobdog...so you are saying that the belt keeps turning around the whole ball wheel??? I think I will try this idea tommorow...could save some major headaches.
                    Yeah...I didn't like that retrofit much...glad to see you didn't either.

Steve
                    TSM & TSM Training Development
                    Main Event Entertainment
                    480-620-6758 for help or information

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                    widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Rake sweeping out of time, and pin launching onto lane.

I work on some nice old Brunswick A-2 pin setters. Most issues I've come across haven't been to problematic to figure out. But being I can't seem to get it to recreate the issue...

Strange sweep problem

I’m a rookie mechanic and have been working on pinsetters for 2 years. One of my lanes has a problem with a sweep possibly coasting. I don’t know what could be causing it...

GSX Distributor shaft bearings

Two part topic:
                    1. Plastic bearing (#66) used in place of regular sealed bearing (#51) -- thoughts?

2. ANY of these bearings with the black support mount...

The Legacy of the A2

I was recently disheartened to learn that a bowling center that I once serviced was actively looking to replace their A2's. I understand that most military bases and educational...

Table turning on short stroke.

Hello dear Bowltech members.
                    First let me say thank you for your time. am plagued by a big issue for three weeks now.
                    our technician is working full time on another...

Another pivot bearing broke.

One and a half year old GSX machines. This will be the 5th pivot bearing that has broke. This one decided to take out a few things with it. Snapped the stroke limiter shock stud...
                    Working...
                    X