Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deck Pads

Just wondering what kind of Deck Pads do you guys prefer. I know of two kinds: the foam rubber and the hard rubber. The seem to have their own advantages and disadvantages.

The foam rubber deck pad seems that it would cushion the pin a whole lot more, but doesn't seem that it would last as long as the hard rubber pad. The hard rubber pad seems that it would be rough on the moving deck. It also looks like they would last a whole lot longer than the foam rubber pad.

So I would like to know what you guys think. Thank you for your input.

Bye for now,

Joey

Re: Deck Pads

definately foam rubber, never tryed the hard rubber. but i can tell you that the foam rubber pads do last for a long time. they tend to get holes in the center of them and the head of the pin gets stuck up inside of them.but i would say in our house the majority of the pads have been in there for atleast five years now and ive had to replace very few of them. as steve would say "just my two cents worth"

Comment

The hard rubber ones last forever, but the cushioning isn't there. Have a set in lane 12 here that's been on 6 years and no wear, but who knows if the deck will crack prematurely.

There is a new, more sturdy foam pad (not sure if B or Q), but they seem to be built better than the old foam ones, they're a dark gray color. I'll let you know when they've been in for a while.

kevin

Comment

Go with the foam style.I had some pinsetters with the hard style and it broke a deck,no cushion for it.I was starting to convert all machines to foam but i left there for some other place but they had another one break,think they we're original hard pads,decks come down too hard on pins to not use foam.Sure..foam in time will get old and fall apart BUT it takes a LONG time,it's not expensive to buy foam but it's not cheap for a deck assy.,then it's the labor of the deck work to get one going again.,pulling deck out,rebuilding used spare deck etc.I use foam for insurance and p.o.m.(piece of mind).How many places can have a spare deck sitting around?

Comment

Has anyone ever weighed a deck assembly? Take a deck assembly and lower it onto a pin standing all by itself...how much protection is that foam pad going to give to that moving deck. It will be flattened out just as much as a hard rubber deck pad. The hard rubber pad won't give, but that foam pad isn't going to slow down that 350+ pound deck assembly.
          I've replaced 2 of the rubber pads in 12 years, and they were both under a lifetime warranty. The studs pulled out of them. The only broken moving decks I've seen have been from a deck assembly dropping off the deck holding hook or from a deck jam that destroyed the mounting point of the spotting finger. (Usually from the pin being removed incorrectly...right Ernie? ) No foam or rubber pad would have saved those moving decks. I have also seen bowed moving decks that have had nothing on them but foam pads for their entire life. So foam pads don't prevent that problem. The rubber ones add the little bit of consistency that foam pads don't offer. Foam will wear unevenly causing you detector rod positioning problems later on down the line. The head pin will wear the least, thus holding the deck up a little higher when that pin is left. It may not make much difference, but it is something to consider.

------------------

Just my two cents worth...

Steve

[This message has been edited by JBEES (edited 01-21-2001).]
          TSM & TSM Training Development
          Main Event Entertainment
          480-620-6758 for help or information

Comment

I've always ran with the quality, bolt on style, hard rubber pads. First center I was at had them installed more than 13 years ago, and have yet to break a deck.

Comment

Over all the quality hard rubber pads are probably the best value for the money since they basically will never wear out.I talked with the quality people when they first came out with them concerning deck cracking and they pointed out that lots of centers run pads which have been worn through to the plate for years without cracking so they felt confident that decks would not crack because of their pads.The only complaint I have with the hard pads is that they don't help hold the pins in place the way foam pads do.If you stop a pinsetter at 180 with pins in the scissors and compare how solid a pin is held when you have the scissors and the deck pad holding it and then how the pins dangle when held by the scissors only,which is what happens when you use hard pads you will see what I mean.

Comment

I like the OEM "B" pad's, but not the bolt on one's! The extra hole's will only weaken the deck!
                Ed

------------------
                Please buy MADE IN USA!

Comment

David,
                  AMF machines don't hold the pins securely and they don't even have pads on the "scissors". I don't think holding the pin in a visehold is all that necessary...do you?

------------------

Just my two cents worth...

Steve
                  TSM & TSM Training Development
                  Main Event Entertainment
                  480-620-6758 for help or information

Comment

Great thread guys !!
                    Mike Wilson
                    Bowl-Tech Inc..

Comment

Steve:

I've seen what David is talking about, the foam pads form to the tops of the pins, which helps keep the respotting more accurate.

As a set of scissors will only open as far as the first one to hit the stops, it will only close as far as when the first one bottoms out. And not every scissor pad pair in the machine has worn evenly.

That little bit of slop in the other 9, coupled with tolerances in pin manufacture, can lead to less than precise respotting, which the foam pads help to cut down on.

Yes, they don't last nearly as long, but from the respotting accuracy standpoint, they are much better. Will the bowlers ever visibly see it? No, but it is still there

Kevin

Comment

Steve
                        GS machines don't use the pad to help hold pins in place either,my comment was just to point out something that had not been mentioned for everyones consideration.As for the importants of the pin being held tightly,if you have enough major tournaments bowling at your house such as pba,high roller,just to mention a couple,pin spotting become a more important issue.Finding ways to improve spotting on 2nd ball becomes more important also.

Comment

The point load on the deck would be less with the hard rubber pad because in defecting less it distributes the weight load over a larger area. To test this place a soft piece of foam rubber on your head and hit it with a hammer then place a hard rubber deck pad on your head and repeat the process. Which hurt the most? Ed I used to really enjoy the ones from B that were glued on also cause when you turned on the lights in the morning and saw lanes with pins laying all over the deck you KNEW what had to be done first. Glue one back on. Just my opinion.

Comment

I beleive if machine runs a a-2 speed then hard rubber will cause deck to crack, foam pads are to protect the pin as well as cushion the deck when stopping on pin(s). If I had a-2s I would slow them down to jet back speed, this will not slow down your league or open play.
                            I have hard rubber pads, but machines run at model a speed. NO Problems here. Not one cracked deck in 20+ yrs.

Comment

Quote:]<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Sherlock:
                              The point load on the deck would be less with the hard rubber pad because in defecting less it distributes the weight load over a larger area. To test this place a soft piece of foam rubber on your head and hit it with a hammer then place a hard rubber deck pad on your head and repeat the process. Which hurt the most? Ed I used to really enjoy the ones from B that were glued on also cause when you turned on the lights in the morning and saw lanes with pins laying all over the deck you KNEW what had to be done first. Glue one back on. Just my opinion.</font>[/QUOTE]

Sherlock, you dont live that far from me! You you want to take that test?
                              The biggest problem with the glue (contact cement failing ) is that it isnt used properly! You must apply an even coat to both surfaces and apply after the product is dry to the touch! The best way to install these deck pad's is to exchange the deck completly and then you can apply even pressure the the pad.
                              Ed

------------------

[This message has been edited by Ed Fox (edited 01-24-2001).]
                              Please buy MADE IN USA!

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                              widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Rake sweeping out of time, and pin launching onto lane.

I work on some nice old Brunswick A-2 pin setters. Most issues I've come across haven't been to problematic to figure out. But being I can't seem to get it to recreate the issue...

Strange sweep problem

I’m a rookie mechanic and have been working on pinsetters for 2 years. One of my lanes has a problem with a sweep possibly coasting. I don’t know what could be causing it...

GSX Distributor shaft bearings

Two part topic:
                              1. Plastic bearing (#66) used in place of regular sealed bearing (#51) -- thoughts?

2. ANY of these bearings with the black support mount...

The Legacy of the A2

I was recently disheartened to learn that a bowling center that I once serviced was actively looking to replace their A2's. I understand that most military bases and educational...

Table turning on short stroke.

Hello dear Bowltech members.
                              First let me say thank you for your time. am plagued by a big issue for three weeks now.
                              our technician is working full time on another...

Another pivot bearing broke.

One and a half year old GSX machines. This will be the 5th pivot bearing that has broke. This one decided to take out a few things with it. Snapped the stroke limiter shock stud...
                              Working...
                              X