Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spring Guide Tubes

Just a question, I've seen some mechanics use a rag soaked with 90w oil attached to the tube to keep them lubricated instead of using grease. Will a rag with oil keep the tube lubricated well enough or is grease the best bet?

[This message has been edited by young gun (edited 02-04-2001).]

Re: Spring Guide Tubes

I have seen oil wicks cut from an old 100 oil tank used in the same manner you have mentioned. The excess oil just collected in the bottom of the bottom tube. And with the style that has a hole in the bottom, that gets pretty messy after about two to three years. I removed them and cleaned the tubes once a month and used a fresh coating of grease. It doesn't seem near as messy to me. But then again...

------------------

Just my two cents worth...

Steve
    TSM & TSM Training Development
    Main Event Entertainment
    480-620-6758 for help or information

Comment

Oil eats grease. So, if you greased the inside of your spring tubes when you put them together, then put an oil soaked rag on them to keep them lubricated, the oil will get inside and basically decompose the grease. The best thing to do is keep them clean and re-grease them every other month at the minimum, as was mentioned earlier!
      Hope this helps!!

Comment

Thanks for the info guys. I was just curious, I have always used grease and was just wondering the difference between oil or grease.

Comment

bobdog,
          Interesting statement...oil eats grease. I was not aware of that. When I worked on Sherman duckpins, we would mix up an oil and grease concoction to pack in the gearboxes...the oil caused the grease to move a little better and swirl around inside the gearbox keeping the gears constantly lubricated. It looked alot like a mixer moving a thick cake mix around in a bowl. Without the oil, the grease would glob up around the sides of the gears and stay there. I never noticed the grease break down or decompose...

Don't get me wrong...I don't condone using oil where grease should go. This is an atypical example of mixing oil and grease. I know of nowhere else I would do something like this. The concoction would just move too much away from where it was put. These gearboxes are enclosed so the grease couldn't get out.

Just my thoughts...what do you think?

Steve
          Main Event Entertainment

Comment

I used a piece of pool table felt (oiled) instead of the rag. I found the grease needed to be removed/replaced frequently because the dirt sticks to it and scores the tube.

Ken Smoltz

Comment

No offense Ken...but the PM charts I have say to clean the grease off and regrease every month anyway. That will keep any dirt from building up and damaging the tubes. And doesn't the bottom of the wicks collect alot of dirt and provide a gritty surface also...the wicks I removed were filthy with dirt.

------------------

Just my two cents worth...

Steve
              Main Event Entertainment

Comment

I agree with Ken's way...I use a felt wrapping with oil as well...the spring inside is well greased...being inclosed in the tube, it's not so suseptible to dirt and since you can't just lube the inside anytime you feel like it, grease is the way to go...but I've found that greasing the outside just makes for a dirt problem...by using an oiled felt, the exposed part of the tube remains constantly lubricated and clean since the felt actually wipes it with every cycle.

Comment

What I meant by oil eats grease is that since grease is thicker, when oil is added to it it becomes thinner and it's structure changes. Grease breaks down eventually anyway due to many factors(heat, cold, friction) oil just speeds that process of breaking it down. That was just a simplification that we always used to keep new guys from oiling where grease should be and greasing where oil should be.

Comment

I've read in several bearing catologs that grease is basicly a mixture of soap and oil. Does this mean old grease has just used up its oil and neads a little added? Or is it that simple? Its probably a special oil anyway that you just can't go up the street and buy.

When I worked on A-2's the head would have us oil the foam pads he glued on the 1:1 cam followers every month. It seamed like a good idea then, but I would do it the traditional way now. You want to reduce friction not add it.

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                    widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Rake sweeping out of time, and pin launching onto lane.

I work on some nice old Brunswick A-2 pin setters. Most issues I've come across haven't been to problematic to figure out. But being I can't seem to get it to recreate the issue...

Strange sweep problem

I’m a rookie mechanic and have been working on pinsetters for 2 years. One of my lanes has a problem with a sweep possibly coasting. I don’t know what could be causing it...

GSX Distributor shaft bearings

Two part topic:
                    1. Plastic bearing (#66) used in place of regular sealed bearing (#51) -- thoughts?

2. ANY of these bearings with the black support mount...

The Legacy of the A2

I was recently disheartened to learn that a bowling center that I once serviced was actively looking to replace their A2's. I understand that most military bases and educational...

Table turning on short stroke.

Hello dear Bowltech members.
                    First let me say thank you for your time. am plagued by a big issue for three weeks now.
                    our technician is working full time on another...

Another pivot bearing broke.

One and a half year old GSX machines. This will be the 5th pivot bearing that has broke. This one decided to take out a few things with it. Snapped the stroke limiter shock stud...
                    Working...
                    X