Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ReSpotting Pins

I am the mechanic in a 20 lane center of converted "A"'s,(jetbacks now.)I am having a problem with lane 19 that I just can't seem to catch. When the deck lowers onto standing pins, apparently the scissors are not closing. The detector is detecting the pins, but then they just get wiped off. It then attempts to set the pins back down, only they are not there anymore. I've checked the flag, checked the scissors, I've even replaced the detector. This problem seems to come and go, but it is still annoying. Any help would be appreciated!!
    <span style="font-style: italic">Sometimes it is best to use good advice from many individuals to achieve the ultimate result.</span>

Re: ReSpotting Pins

Could be a bind on your scissor deck...the scissors or a single scissor may be getting in a bind or caught on something causing the scissors not to close completly this would cause the pinsetter to do exactly as you described(look also at the distrbution links and pivots)

Hope this helps,
    Peanut
    Peanut

Comment

Had a problem just like this...only what was ACTUALLY happening wasn't what I THOUGHT was happening. Question.....have you done any clutch work to that lane recently? Had to replace a complete clutch and worm shaft on a lane, and the mechanic before me had pre-built a spare clutch assembly. We put it on and began to have the problem you're describing....as it turns out, he put the clutch actuator roller on the WRONG side of the lever when he built it. Any time a pin would go O.O.R, the cycle would continue, as in a normal 1st ball. That's why it was so hard to track down, and why it was so intermittent. LESSON LEARNED: Don't take the little things for granted! DOH!!!!!!
      Let us know...
      Mike
      [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif[/img]
      "cursing at a pinsetter near you..."

Comment

Thanks Guys... I'll look into these things and keep you posted as to what I find.

May end up rebuilding the scissor deck (or the whole thing for that matter [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img] )kinda needs it anyway. Half of our pinsetters camf from a center that burnt down. The roof fell in on the machines. When they were installed in our center, they diddnt know what they were doing and washed the machined down with ACID!!! Talk about a mess!! That was in '82 and I'm still finding corroded bolts and bearings. I think I've gotten most of them, but the only way to know for sure is to rebuild them...which is kinda tough with 20 lanes and 20 team leagues 6 days a week.

But anyway..I'll look into these hints and let you know what I find..

Thanks Again!!

[ February 14, 2001: Message edited by: BrunsAce ]
        <span style="font-style: italic">Sometimes it is best to use good advice from many individuals to achieve the ultimate result.</span>

Comment

Hey Bruns ace
          Check each pair of scissors carefully.
          The black connector links that are mounted to the scissors by the pins that are hammered or smushed to hold the links on can cause a problem.
          Check and see if any of these black links have come loose from the pins.
          The scissors will work just fine until that one time the link moves and binds up.
          Also check the allen bolt that goes through the deck to hold the stud.
          If someone has put in too long of a bolt it can bind up the scissors.
          hope this helps.
          Graham

Comment

One more thing to add to Graham's post. You might want to check the pin that controls the scissor opening and closing operation. It's the pin that goes through distribution levers (I think that is what they are called) and into the drag link of the scissor assembly. If the pin backs out far enough, it can get wedged against the main deck. I have only seen this once. But if it happened to me, it could happen to you.

Bye for now,

Joey

Comment

I would check your flag adjustment again. sounds like flag is not moving freely or a bit out of adjustment. With machine at zero degrees check the movement of the flag, it must be free, no binds. Make sure flag adjusting rod is not bent.Remember the book adjustments are a starting point. A little exaggerated adjustment may be necessary.

[ February 15, 2001: Message edited by: Larry ]

Comment

I Really Appreciate all the help here guys..

I think...OK..I'm pretty sure I found the problem..

I checked the scissors today and found out that someone had replaced most of them, but diddn't re-install the spacers...

The bushings were beginning to fall out too..

I've re-installed the spacers, but only time will tell if this fixed the problem..

Thanx again for the help!!!

Comment

BrunsAce,

Here is a quick thought if that don't work. You say it is detecting that there are standing pins, but don't pick them up and they get swept off then it "sets" the pins that should be there back down. That to me sounds like you might need to adjust your detector rod.

Mike Tarrant
                  Hobart Lanes
                  Hobart, Indiana
                  Mike Tarrant
                  Hobart Lanes
                  Hobart, Indiana

Comment

Ok..The thing did it to me again Wednesday.

I double checked the flag. Was just where it ought to be.

I finally decided to replace the deck (fortunately I have a spare).

Got that done, Took the old one apart today, Found the problem. On one or two of the scissor Assys, the pin that holds the linkages together (where they mesh) was really lose, and the links were just able to sometimes snag. Is that the pin you were talking about GRAMBO? Peanut? Sorry I can't describe it better, can't think what it's called. I diddn't see this, until I took the deck off, and placed it up-side-down on the floor. Would snag every time then. Thw whole thing was about due for a rebuild anyway.

If this don't fix it....Anyone want to buy a slightly screwey possibly gunshot ridden JetBack??? [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif[/img] [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif[/img]

Catch ya Later!!!!

BTW...might need a thread on this one too.
                    The curtain on that same lane keeps getting glossy, and screwing up the auto scorer. It's not oil, it's like it is polished somehow. Cleaning kinda helps, but not for long. Even taken steel wool to it with little succes. Do I just need a new curtain? [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif[/img] [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif[/img] [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif[/img] [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif[/img]

Adam D. (aka - the fixer upper do-it-all guy!!!) [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img]

[ February 25, 2001: Message edited by: BrunsAce ]

Comment

Hey Brunsace.
                      Those were the links I was talking about, glad you found it but sorry you had to take out the whole deck.
                      Usually you can smush the pins back together with a ball pen hammer.
                      Take care
                      Graham

Comment

Brunsace,

I would say it's time to buy a new curtain,If it is effecting scoring enough. I use 220 grit sandpaper on mine first and if troubles persist the curtain is replaced. The part that links the scissors is a rocker pin.

Comment

before you go buying a brand new curtain, try cleaning it with some chlorite solvent 8, or acetone. it will rough up and dull the curtain enough for the camera, or scanner to detect pins well. and it should last a while.

Comment

I had the same problem on one lane once. Come to find out that one of the gears in the detector was missing some teeth. I was detecting pins but not picking them up as you described. Hope this helps...

Brandon Adams
                            Imperial and Twin Oaks Lanes
                            Toledo, Ohio

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                            widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Approach Wear - DBA IQ/Anvilane

Our approach panels have a lot of wear at the joint between the first approach panel and the approach/heads panel. Nearly every one has the printed image worn through to various...

Rake sweeping out of time, and pin launching onto lane.

I work on some nice old Brunswick A-2 pin setters. Most issues I've come across haven't been to problematic to figure out. But being I can't seem to get it to recreate the issue...

Strange sweep problem

I’m a rookie mechanic and have been working on pinsetters for 2 years. One of my lanes has a problem with a sweep possibly coasting. I don’t know what could be causing it...

GSX Distributor shaft bearings

Two part topic:
                            1. Plastic bearing (#66) used in place of regular sealed bearing (#51) -- thoughts?

2. ANY of these bearings with the black support mount...

The Legacy of the A2

I was recently disheartened to learn that a bowling center that I once serviced was actively looking to replace their A2's. I understand that most military bases and educational...

Table turning on short stroke.

Hello dear Bowltech members.
                            First let me say thank you for your time. am plagued by a big issue for three weeks now.
                            our technician is working full time on another...
                            Working...
                            X