TOTY

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Super Worn GB Clutch

I was sitting on lane 30 the other night. Just happened to look at the gear box clutch. I noticed an unusually large gap between the clutch shoes and the clutch drive disc assembly. Turns out there were no facings on the clutch drive disc assembly. I was surprised that I didn't see sparks when gear box would stop. Anyway, I took it apart and you should see how worn those shoes were. The grooves were REALLY deep.

[img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif[/img]

But all is well, now. [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif[/img]

Bye for now,

Joey

Re: Super Worn GB Clutch

Joey:
    Speaks volumes about the superior engineering, inherent in the Bruns. mch.
    I myself have seen operational clutchs with absolutely no splines in either disk or on shaft. Rather noisy however.
    Roscoe.
    rfm

Comment

I have also seen the clutch function when the splines had worn to nothing and the facings(the old metal ones) had worn grooves in the shoes.
      Also, the metal facing on the pulley wore the facings of the clutch disc so bad that they couldn't be salvaged by resurfacing them. The machine still ran until the parts were removed!!
      They are amazing machines!!

Comment

Hey Joe
        If you do not have a spare set of clutch shoes the next time you see this you can flip the shoes around and put the grooved side towards the rear of the clutch.
        It is also a GOOD idea to take the gearbox clutches apart during the summer and grease the splines of the worm shaft and both clutch discs.
        You will also notice quite a few other problems like worn pads and loose wworm shaft locking nuts.
        You will probably also find WORN splines in clutch discs and wormshafts.
        Write down ALL the lanes that are worn and order new parts as your budget will allow.
        Just grease the bad ones and extend their life until you can rebuild them .
        Graham

Comment

Since we're on GB clutches here, anyone ever seen metal (brass/copper/bronze looking stuff) facings on a pulley? I've pulled 2 sets out at my center. They must've been on forever. The last set I pulled because both the cone and the drive disc were grooved around the metal facings.
          I wonder if these things are original or an aftermarket "long-service" item. Anybody know?

Comment

Yeah, I think all mine were that coppper brass looking facing. I go through all mine every summer and clean up and grease and also keep track on my CPU what parts were put where and it helps to know what I can look for if I get a problem. Fortunately going through them ever summer I have never had to replace anything during the season. This goes for the turret clutch assembly as well, every summer about 3 weeks worth of 14 hour days does pay off, but then again I don't have a budget so once I R&R anything it's done with all new parts.

Drill [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif[/img]
            Drill

David Bolt
            Champaign, IL
            USBC Silver Coach
            IBPSIA BOD
            IBPSIA Advanced
            Technical Certified
            Pro Shops

Comment

Jogger...original stuff man...original stuff. Beat that on an AMF...lol Clutch facings that are 40+ years old and still working. I had a house full of them back in Florida. Just clean them and put them back in.
              TSM & TSM Training Development
              Main Event Entertainment
              480-620-6758 for help or information

Comment

Good ole clutches are rather hard to kill.Have had splines that looked like pretzels and they still ran great,still quiet too!

Comment

Quote:]Originally posted by Joe Fish:
                  I was sitting on lane 30 the other night. Just happened to look at the gear box clutch. I noticed an unusually large gap between the clutch shoes and the clutch drive disc assembly. Turns out there were no facings on the clutch drive disc assembly. I was surprised that I didn't see sparks when gear box would stop. Anyway, I took it apart and you should see how worn those shoes were. The grooves were REALLY deep.

[img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif[/img]

But all is well, now. [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif[/img]

Bye for now,

Joey
                  [/QUOTE]
                  I say replace those facings. Its cheaper to replace facings than the assemblies and the shoes. Also keep your splines greased and they won't wear out. PJ
                  I'm going fishing and camping!

Comment

P.J.
                    Re. greasing splines.
                    Was wondering how many use a greasing spool to inject grease up the splines and the main hub. Certainly saves some time when seal replacement is not a factor
                    Roscoe
                    rfm

Comment

Roscoe:

I'm surprised at your last post [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif[/img] ... tearing them down is the only opportunity that presents itself to remove the dust and dirt that gets inside the splines.

My opinion, the worm shaft with a grease fitting is just asking for problems, because when you put grease in with dirty grease, you only get more dirty grease, as happens when you oil an un-dusted lane.

Admittedly, running them dry is the worst situation as far as wear on components goes, but running them dirty isn't much better, in mu opinion.

I consider the time spent tearing them down to be well spent ... you didn't really mean to endorse the greasable worm, did you???

Kevin

Comment

I have to agree with Kevin here. I have always pulled my clutches once a year, or more. Never had the desire to try the worm with the grease fitting. As I posted above, I have found some horrible components when I have taken over a center, if you just pumped grease in them and didn't take them apart how would you ever find worn parts? If you wait for the noise, it is too late!!

Many of the aftermarket parts and kits are much like this. If you put them in the machine, you actually hide potential problems because the parts are designed to eliminate the need for maintenance. Triggering systems are a perfect example of this.

Comment

K.L.
                          Wasn't referring to the greaseable worm shaft, do not like them myself.
                          Was referring to a spool greasing tube that forces old grease and dirt into rear cavity of main hub, where it stays until removed during seal replacment. Depending upon linage , I grease the main hub every two years and on the fifth year, tear down and replace the seal. Of course one has the rear cone and pulley off for examination on bi-annual basis. Certainly one does not go overboard with the grease gun. usually one pump after resistance is felt will suffice.
                          Have no problems getting twenty plus years from a unit, fact is 30 quite normal.
                          JMO.
                          Roscoe.
                          rfm

Comment

Bobdog:
                            I Agree that some after market parts are just an expensive quick fix, and some may use triggering systems to keep from having to fix/adjust other things. Not always though. Triggering systems can allow even small kids a chance to bowl without the hassle of hitting the reset button every time because their ball rolled to slowly and was too light to trip the machine. We have electronic triggering, but I make it a point to keep the cushions and their linkage maintained.
                            Not trying to start a debate here, just making a point.

Sorry to get off subject like that, but back to it...

I have had clutch facings that were gone too. Diddn't know until I was cleaning a GB and found metal all over the place!!!

[ February 22, 2001: Message edited by: BrunsAce ]
                            <span style="font-style: italic">Sometimes it is best to use good advice from many individuals to achieve the ultimate result.</span>

Comment

Brunsace,
                              I agree with you that the electronic triggering is a help to bowlers, my point was that I have seen many mechanics put various kits on their machines and use it as an excuse to do less maintenance. I only used the triggering example because I recently worked at a center that had Zot kits on at the shotgun, so the cushion linkage wasn't needed for triggering. It was nearly falling off the machine it had been neglected so long.
                              Gearbox clutches need to be removed yearly at a minimum, and I have seen guys use the greasable shafts so they could extend that time. It always catches up with you if you try to fudge on preventive maintenace.
                              But then I am sure most of the guys here realize that.

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                              widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Ball Returns Shorted Out?

Ok, I just had one of my company's centers in Florida reach out for help with this issue, and I wasn't able to help them over our chat, so I'm hoping you guys can help shed some...

Trip rocker arm

What causes the trip rocker arm to not line up with the trip rod? Carriage tubing is not bent and all eccentrics are brand new.
                              I understand I can bend the rocker arm a...

Lower ball cushion board

Just wondering if this is the normal way that these boards go over time? Am i missing something?
                              Pit curtains are in "reasonable" condition if that means anything...

Backend motor plug

What is the name of the power plug and socket on the back-end motor?

Some of ours are breaking from impacts from repeated pile-ups and need to be replaced....

82/70 combi motors

Hi guys, got a few of these Lewus solid state start switches and wondering if we could make use of them on our combi motors. I've seen they aren't recommended for combi motors...

Deck lowering hook cam follower lever

I have a machine that has broken the cam follower arm for the deck lowering hook on the 2 to 1 twice in a couple weeks. I've overnighted the part so i can change it tomorrow....
                              Working...
                              X