Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Little question

Has anyone had a cross member to break?

On one of our machines, one of the frame crossmembers is worn halfway through from where someone had left a bent rake crank arm on it. Is this a problem? Has anybody had one of these to break?

Not an emergengy, just a little question.
    <span style="font-style: italic">Sometimes it is best to use good advice from many individuals to achieve the ultimate result.</span>

Re: Little question

We help a center pull out 24 A machines a few years ago that closed down. From the condition that some of those cross members were in, looks like you can go almost half way thru one of them without to much worry. Probably not the best idea in the world but almost everyone of those were worn into.
    Martyy

Comment

I've seen a few worn through at least halfway...but I've never seen one broken...the crank rod, being solid, would no doubt wear through the frame soon enough...and I've seen the crank rod itself, worn pretty thin as well.

I guess the question is...how could either get to this point without being noticed?

Brian.

Comment

Good question Brian...

They were like this when I started here... [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif[/img]

[ March 09, 2001: Message edited by: BrunsAce ]
        <span style="font-style: italic">Sometimes it is best to use good advice from many individuals to achieve the ultimate result.</span>

Comment

i had one break once it was cut about 3/4 of the way through,i put a big wide hose clamp on it and tightened the *hit out of it,never had another problem with it [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img]
          if things aren't going right just use a bigger hammer! DIRT

Comment

Ace...never had one break. I have had some that were wore just over half way. Solved my insomnia over it by welding a piece of 1/8 inch flat stock by 2 inches wide. I cut them long enough to cover the cut plus 1 inch longer. Lay the plate in the middle and weld it in place. Next, tap the plate around the cross member to cover the cut and weld it in place on each side. This will maintain the integrity of the cross member while only raising the height of the cross member 1/8 of an inch. I never had another problem out of them and I slept better knowing the frame wouldn't give up half way through a league.

Chad...a wide hose clamp?

How does everybody feel about collapsible rake crank rods? Personally, I've been installing them as the solid ones become bent. Never have had a problem from them. But, I do disassemble them and put locktite on the inner bolt that holds it together. Had one fall apart awhile back. Never again... [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif[/img]
            TSM & TSM Training Development
            Main Event Entertainment
            480-620-6758 for help or information

Comment

hey jebees,

don't like the collapsible rods at all

i've had two pull apart in 6 months

I don't know about you but the regular rods last years not months

just a thought
              joe
              PINSETTERMECH

Comment

HAACK:
                Whom are you buying them from?
                Don't need a Full descrip, only a clue, as in B, Q, Z. etc. Sorry you had problems with the ones you tried, because they are simply a great solution, to a very troublesome problem.
                Have been using them for years, only problem encountered was a misthread on the crank end. Easily resolved, sent them back, they were replaced, without freight or other charges, promptly.
                Company named B.
                As are most of the parts I buy, to refurbish and or rebuild.
                I learned one thing early on, in this business, if you have parts, drop shipped to a job, 500 miles from your shop, they had better fit and accomplish what you intend.
                And do it without having to go to the grinder or lathe to make them work.
                I am not an advocate for anyone's parts, but have simply found, I have less trouble on the road, with the originals.
                I realize this post will open a door to some comments, I welcome these, as I can tell horror stories, gleaned from fourty years on the road, and most involve companies, not included in C. to Y..
                JMO.
                Roscoe.
                rfm

Comment

JBEES We were able to repair ours by welding but since I can't weld I hired an old timer that was pretty good. He cut a piece of stock that fit flush in the groove that was worn about half through the frame. Once he got it tacked he was able to weld around the edges with only the new weld sticking above the frame. Not a problem ever since. Sleep better also!!

Dennis

Comment

Been using collapsible rods for the past 8 years at least, have yet to have to replace one.

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                    widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Rake sweeping out of time, and pin launching onto lane.

I work on some nice old Brunswick A-2 pin setters. Most issues I've come across haven't been to problematic to figure out. But being I can't seem to get it to recreate the issue...

Strange sweep problem

I’m a rookie mechanic and have been working on pinsetters for 2 years. One of my lanes has a problem with a sweep possibly coasting. I don’t know what could be causing it...

GSX Distributor shaft bearings

Two part topic:
                    1. Plastic bearing (#66) used in place of regular sealed bearing (#51) -- thoughts?

2. ANY of these bearings with the black support mount...

The Legacy of the A2

I was recently disheartened to learn that a bowling center that I once serviced was actively looking to replace their A2's. I understand that most military bases and educational...

Table turning on short stroke.

Hello dear Bowltech members.
                    First let me say thank you for your time. am plagued by a big issue for three weeks now.
                    our technician is working full time on another...

Another pivot bearing broke.

One and a half year old GSX machines. This will be the 5th pivot bearing that has broke. This one decided to take out a few things with it. Snapped the stroke limiter shock stud...
                    Working...
                    X