Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cam Follower Shaft

About once every 2-3 months, on lane #5, the Cam Follower Shaft will break. I have checked almost everything I can think of, but no luck. I have gone through 4 this season. Any thoughts off hand? Thanks in advance for the help!!

Mike Tarrant
    Hobart Lanes
    Hobart, Indiana
    Mike Tarrant
    Hobart Lanes
    Hobart, Indiana

Re: Cam Follower Shaft

Which cam follower shaft?

If you are talking about the moving deck cam follower shaft and the bolt is what is breaking, check the tension of the moving deck torsion spring. If it is too tight, excess pressure will be applied to the shaft and the bolt. However, I have never heard of the shaft itself breaking. Just the bolt.
    TSM & TSM Training Development
    Main Event Entertainment
    480-620-6758 for help or information

Comment

There are alot of cam follower shafts on these machines.

I'll go with JBEES, and assume you are talking about the bolt in the moving deck cam follower. Check all that JBEES has mentioned, plus make sure you use the hardend stud, or a grade 8 bolt. Anyhting less just won't last long. That thing gets alot of stress put on it.

If you are getting alot of DJ's on this machine, fix that first. (of course you probably knew that)

Hope this helps..
      Hope this is the right shaft too

Adam D.
      <span style="font-style: italic">Sometimes it is best to use good advice from many individuals to achieve the ultimate result.</span>

Comment

I have seen [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif[/img] the hole in the plate wear out really bad! I also installed the "Q" locking collars and that seemed to get rid of some of the wiggle.

[img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif[/img] ED
        Please buy MADE IN USA!

Comment

M Tarrent.
          Mr. Fox is on to this one. If a bolt once breaks, I replace the shaft with a new one, using the set screw # 12-400300 (double drive assembly), old shafts will have a groove worn in them where they sit in the mtg. plate.
          Also use a locking collar (on all MD. shafts), even those whom have never broken a bolt.
          If it breaks the set screw, only fix is to either replace the plate or weld a support collar on the old plate.
          I use Pt.# 11-102220=000. bored to 13/16, and welded to plate with the set screw hole in it facing the front, provides a permanent fix ,as the set screw prevents any movement.
          Hope of some help.
          Roscoe.
          rfm

Comment

Sorry I didn't specify which shaft. It is the Moving Deck Cam Follower Shaft. The shaft itself is breaking, not the stud. I will only put a shaft in that has the stud. The last time it broke, it bent the bottom of the mounting plate, I think i got that straightened out pretty well though. Thanks again for the help!!

Mike Tarrant
            Hobart Lanes
            Hobart, Indiana
            Mike Tarrant
            Hobart Lanes
            Hobart, Indiana

Comment

JBEES:
              Well I guess there is a first time for everything. I cannot conceive of any possible way to break a 13/16 in OD. relatively soft shaft, with no more leverage exposure than 1/16 in. max. Also cannot imagine anything breaking it without ripping all three legs from the one to one cover. Have seen plenty of the cable shafts break, they are very brittle, and thus don't take kindly to shock loads. Certainly would like to hear more on this subject.
              Roscoe.
              rfm

Comment

Hey Roscoe
                I would also like to know how it is breaking this shaft and not a 5/16th bolt.
                But I will add that once the 1-1 plate gets bent the hole seems to get oblonged even though you straighten the plate causing the "bitch" bolt to still break.
                One thing no one has brought up that can cause the cam follower shaft bolt(bitch bolt)
                and also the moving deck control shaft that goes through the frame to break.
                IS the machine BLACKING OUT!
                If the machine does not stop with a deck jam all kind of things can be broken.
                I used to check it by taking the allen wrench that fits the gearbox drain plug and use it as a pry bar to force down the blackout tube springs and open the switch.
                The blackout switch could be stuck,or the motor contactor contact points could be sticking not allowing the machine to turn off.
                OR you could have what happened at my center when Brunswick wired up the auto-scorers.
                When they hooked up the wires in the electrical box they wired the mechanics on/off switch in parallel to the control desk switch AND in parallel to the blackout switch!!
                Graham

Comment

I agree with installing the collars and grade 8 studs and would also add that once the 1-1 plate has been bent a couple of times it best to replace it.Even when it looks like you have got it straight it usually is not perfectly straight and this adds to the pressure on the shaft which contributes to further failures.

Comment

Mike,
                    It would be very interesting to know what would break that shaft. I know wierd stuff can happen in these machines from time to time, and every time extreme pressure is applied to the area we are speaking of, the result has been a broken 1:1 casing in my experience. Something way out of the ordinary must be happening with that lane. If you ever figure out what it is, please let us know...just another for the wierd book...

[ March 17, 2001: Message edited by: JBEES ]
                    TSM & TSM Training Development
                    Main Event Entertainment
                    480-620-6758 for help or information

Comment

Quote:]Mr. Fox is on to this one.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Roscoe, that dosn't happen very often!!! [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif[/img]

Ed
                      Please buy MADE IN USA!

Comment

Originally posted by Ed Fox:
                        Thanks Roscoe, that dosn't happen very often!!! [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif[/img]

You said it, not me.
                        :p

Comment

G.M.
                          Were you referring to the shaft breaking?
                          Roscoe.
                          rfm

Comment

LIKE THE OTHERS HAVE MENTIONED ABOUT THE BOLT ON THE CAM FOLLOWER SHAFT, MAKE SURE IT THE THE GOOD HARDENED ONE AND ALSO GET THE COLLARS FOR THE SHAFT AND TIGHTEN THEM ON FOR THE EXTRA PROTECTION. YOU CAN GET 2 PIECE COLLARS SO YOU DONT HAVE TO TAKE EVERYTHING APRT TO PUT THEM ON.

JEFF KUHNLE
                            TWIN OAKS LANES
                            TOLEDO OHIO
                            WE ARE NOW REALLY TWIN OAKS LANES.

Comment

Sorry it has been a while since I have posted anything...I have been in the process of moving to a different city. Here is an update on the MD Cam Follower Shaft problem. I just got a 1:1 mounting plate that I ordered. Haven't had time to put it in, but I plan on doing it within the next couple of days. I'll keep you guys updated as much as possible on the problem. Later!!!

Mike Tarrant
                              Hobart Lanes
                              Hobart, Indiana
                              Mike Tarrant
                              Hobart Lanes
                              Hobart, Indiana

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                              widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Approach Wear - DBA IQ/Anvilane

Our approach panels have a lot of wear at the joint between the first approach panel and the approach/heads panel. Nearly every one has the printed image worn through to various...

Rake sweeping out of time, and pin launching onto lane.

I work on some nice old Brunswick A-2 pin setters. Most issues I've come across haven't been to problematic to figure out. But being I can't seem to get it to recreate the issue...

Strange sweep problem

I’m a rookie mechanic and have been working on pinsetters for 2 years. One of my lanes has a problem with a sweep possibly coasting. I don’t know what could be causing it...

GSX Distributor shaft bearings

Two part topic:
                              1. Plastic bearing (#66) used in place of regular sealed bearing (#51) -- thoughts?

2. ANY of these bearings with the black support mount...

The Legacy of the A2

I was recently disheartened to learn that a bowling center that I once serviced was actively looking to replace their A2's. I understand that most military bases and educational...

Table turning on short stroke.

Hello dear Bowltech members.
                              First let me say thank you for your time. am plagued by a big issue for three weeks now.
                              our technician is working full time on another...
                              Working...
                              X