Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OSHA

I found out OSHA hit a center north of me. My question is what guards are required on machines. Mine did not come with guards when installed. Or at least no guards since I've been here. They only guard I have is elevator guard. [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif[/img]

Re: OSHA

Larry,
    If you have Brunswick machines, then there is a page in the parts catalog that shows all the guards that are required in California, they are optional everywhere else. There is one that covers the motor pulley, one that covers the long turret belt, one that attaches at the 4:1 and covers the 4:1, 1:1 and related parts. The 4:1 guard attaches to a side guard that protects your feet from the spring tube and rake assembly.
    There are also guards that go between the machines at the step to protect you from the elevator. Last, there is a guard that covers the ballwheel jackshft on the odd lanes.
    If I missed any I'm sure you will see them in the parts catalog. Hope this helps!!!

Comment

There should also be a large metal "grate" guard on the side of each machine next to an entranceway to the back, to eliminate the temptation to reach in from side to fix things ...

Kevin

Comment

I've got some various guards I will part with -- no not off of my machines- Let me know what you need and quantity, I'll dig up what I've got buried.

Ken

Comment

Don't know how I missed this one earlier...
          I mentioned in another post that Workcover, the stat oh&s authority in New South Wales, Australia, recently decided to make an example / experiment of our centre.
          We now have our machines caged floor to catwalk, including the seides of the end lanes. The rear cage is actually a sliding door, if you open it the power to the machine is cut.
          Our catwalks had to be wider, and had to have hand rails front an back. There is an opening in the handrail obve the motor, (where a new step has been added to cover the motor) giving access to the machine platform. It is one mongrel of a guard, we can't do any regular cleaning (ie ball wheel, pin wheel) with the machine on, and the arrangement of the sliding cage doors makes it very hard to reach the y-track, or you can climb over the machine, stand on the small platform over the return track/accelerator, and reac down to the y track (cramped and uncomfortable).
          We have a stop button on the top handrail that cuts power to the machine, and a reset button at the back that we have to use to restart the machine after opening the cage, using the stop button, or shutting of the power at the wall switch or circuit breaker. [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/mad.gif[/img]

Comment

Hey Goodgreaf
            I know what you mean about not being able to do anything while the machines are running.
            The processing equipment at the Postal service is built with OSHA in mind.
            EVERY panel or guard or access cover has an interlock switch that will kill power.
            With machines over 100 feet long ,on average there are 125 interlocks wired in series.
            Also wired in series with these switches are E-stops(emergency stop mushroom buttons)
            By OSHA there is one of these every 8 feet.
            Their theory is you should never be more than 4 feet away from a way to stop the machine.
            The switches all have extra sets of contacts so in theory the computer will tell us at least what module has reported a stop.
            But as is a mechanics norm only the stop line contact has gone bad and we are grabbing our multi-meter to find out what cover is loose or switch has gone bad.
            Graham

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
            widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Approach Wear - DBA IQ/Anvilane

Our approach panels have a lot of wear at the joint between the first approach panel and the approach/heads panel. Nearly every one has the printed image worn through to various...

Rake sweeping out of time, and pin launching onto lane.

I work on some nice old Brunswick A-2 pin setters. Most issues I've come across haven't been to problematic to figure out. But being I can't seem to get it to recreate the issue...

Strange sweep problem

I’m a rookie mechanic and have been working on pinsetters for 2 years. One of my lanes has a problem with a sweep possibly coasting. I don’t know what could be causing it...

GSX Distributor shaft bearings

Two part topic:
            1. Plastic bearing (#66) used in place of regular sealed bearing (#51) -- thoughts?

2. ANY of these bearings with the black support mount...

The Legacy of the A2

I was recently disheartened to learn that a bowling center that I once serviced was actively looking to replace their A2's. I understand that most military bases and educational...

Table turning on short stroke.

Hello dear Bowltech members.
            First let me say thank you for your time. am plagued by a big issue for three weeks now.
            our technician is working full time on another...
            Working...
            X