Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pins slip on the conveyor belts

Thanks for reading my post! The boss doesn't want to change the lane oil we are using. The pins slip on the belts going up the conveyor. Only the head of the pin touches the conveyor plate and the belts are tight. My feelings are that the oil in the pit carpet is the culprit. So far the quick fixes include wire brushing the conveyor belts to rough them up. The other quick fix, which I think will just gum things up, is spraying Elmers spray adhesive on the belts. Both quick fixes fix it for about 20 or 30 minutes. The pins don't really feel that oily but they are very smooth. We use the pit carpet covers that velcro in. We are making some tarp cover isolators that we will put between the carpet and the pit carpet covers thinking that might help. Any ideas would be appreciated! Thanks again.
    Howard

Re: Pins slip on the conveyor belts

I don't know if you have tried this, but, before lanes man does lanes at night, have him knock down pins and run up in p/s(so lane machine doesnt spray pins with cleaner). Clean cross conveyor belts every night, with a dry rag. Make sure springs are on cross conveyor microswitch rollers. Change carpet covers on daily basis. Put a spring with not to much tension, but not to lose right over pin gate assembly

This is what I do and have no problems with slipping pins

Hope this helps some good luck

Rick

Comment

One quick fix for a day is to hold a bar of Lava hand soap against the belts. It not only cleans off the oil on the belts, but it also adds grip to the belts.
      An even better fix is to use the grey belts from Murray. You can dip a pin in oil and it will still go up the cross converor.
      Good luck!!!

Comment

I hust installed some new ones from Bruns. They grab the pins really well BUT....They make an awful mess. Black rubber particles are everywhere around the CC. They also seem to be getting the pins dirty too. [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif[/img] [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif[/img]

I havn't tried the grey ones yet, but I really want too. [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img]
        <span style="font-style: italic">Sometimes it is best to use good advice from many individuals to achieve the ultimate result.</span>

Comment

Wew have had better luck if we use pit carpet covers to help remove some of the oil.But we haven't had a problem with lane oil it was always gear box oil leaking.

Comment

We have experienced your problem before and found trying different things just didn’t work with new type finishes on pins these days the old type belts are not very good. We are using 12-450037-600hp and have had good results. Pins don’t slip and go right up the cross conveyor. We have synthetic lanes with a very heavy oil pattern (40+ units of slick oil) and found these belts work great under these oily conditions

Doug [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Thanks guys for the tips. The Lava bar soap works better than the Elmers spray adheasive. The boss says he ordered some of those belts you recommended. So, we will give them a tray. Thanks a million.

Howard
              Howard

Comment

I've experienced this same problem...with oil getting to the cross conveyors. Since I do not use carpet covers, I clean my pit carpets about once a month. I take them to a car wash and spray them down (fiberglass boards, of course). I also clean my cross conveyor belts once per shift using straight pinsetter cleaner with a scotch brite pad.

Comment

Guys,

The high performance belts almost becomes a neccessity under extremely heavy oil conditions or oils of higher viscosity.

Comment

Is there a off-the-shelf chemical that softens rubber(belting material)? Just curious.

Comment

I agree that the high agressive belts delivers, but in time it also causes a mess.The belts become soft and very tacky.
                      I have tried A pin slip kit on a few contract machines with great success.
                      The guy who sells them is in Simi Valley,Ca
                      Jeff Lerner is his name.He is in the Bowltech Yellow Pages. I will send a pic to Mike that he can post.

Later
                      Peanut
                      Peanut

Comment

The pins still slip. Thanks to all the replys on this subject. We put a set of them new belts on that were supposed to carry up the pin no matter what. We still have major slippage. We use Lava soap, then sandpaper, then wire brush, then back to Lava soap to get the pins to go up. We must really have a major oil problem. But, with the high scores being bowled on our lanes, the boss dont want to change the oil application. Any other ideas out there? Thanks.

Howard
                        Howard

Comment

hey howard,
                          you can also give each belt a few taps with a rosin bag and that will keep the pins going up for quite awhile. hope this helps
                          brunsmechanic
                          also the problem may not be the lanes at all it could be coming from your c.c. idler pulleys leaking grease onto the belts if they're over lubricated.

[ June 25, 2001: Message edited by: brunsmechanic ]
                          GOOD LUCK EVERYONE

Comment

well this might not be the best thing to do but it works . flip one of the cross conveyor belts around so that the edge is the other way.i have done it in a pinch to get by until i can get a remedy to the problem . give it a try it works. [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif[/img]

Comment

Howard:

Is it all the machines, or a few of them??

Sisterjoan made a good point way back in the thread, in that gearbox oil leaks are more likely to cause this than lane oil. Had one machine that had a bad oil leak from the 1/1 bolts being a sniff loose. Changed the pit carpet, put a clean set of pins in, took all of 2 days before they started to slip badly again ... you might want to look around.

Up until a month ago, was using defense/s, with 60+ in the puddle, with very limited troubles even with the old black belts.

Also, how often are you taking pins out to clean them? Running them through the pin washer periodically will help out with this problem:

Kevin

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                              widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Rake sweeping out of time, and pin launching onto lane.

I work on some nice old Brunswick A-2 pin setters. Most issues I've come across haven't been to problematic to figure out. But being I can't seem to get it to recreate the issue...

Strange sweep problem

I’m a rookie mechanic and have been working on pinsetters for 2 years. One of my lanes has a problem with a sweep possibly coasting. I don’t know what could be causing it...

GSX Distributor shaft bearings

Two part topic:
                              1. Plastic bearing (#66) used in place of regular sealed bearing (#51) -- thoughts?

2. ANY of these bearings with the black support mount...

The Legacy of the A2

I was recently disheartened to learn that a bowling center that I once serviced was actively looking to replace their A2's. I understand that most military bases and educational...

Table turning on short stroke.

Hello dear Bowltech members.
                              First let me say thank you for your time. am plagued by a big issue for three weeks now.
                              our technician is working full time on another...

Another pivot bearing broke.

One and a half year old GSX machines. This will be the 5th pivot bearing that has broke. This one decided to take out a few things with it. Snapped the stroke limiter shock stud...
                              Working...
                              X