Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A2's

I am a GSX mechanic, one year's experience, no experience in A2's. Our competition has A2's and they offered me a job, more money, etc. I was wondering, are A2's hard to learn??? I am used to plastic parts and computer technology. The GSX and A2's are worlds apart. I am a lone mechanic in a 16 lane house and the A2 house is 32 lanes with 2 other mechanics. Any info will be appreciated.

Re: A2's

one thing in favour of the A/A2, being mechanical, you can see what it's doing, supposed to be doing, or not doing. Of course, it may not be easy to see, but it will be there to see anyway. A little easier than trying to see what electicity is doing in a computer box [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif[/img]
    Seriously, I don't think A/A2 are that hard, but then it is going to depend on your ability to deal with the mechanicals. In my experience, most of the common faults are easy to get over, and if there are 2 other guys who know what they're doing, watch and learn. And play and learn.
    I started in tenpin as a counter jockey, but after a while I knew I had to get to the real action. I took to sitting on top of a machine for a half hour or so after I finished a shift on the counter, watching what the machine did. It's a marvel of a machine to watch, but it made sense to me.

Comment

A2s may seem hard to some. But commen sense goes a long way. read pinsetter book watch machine work @ ask. its mainly up to you. good luck:haybailer

Comment

Alrighty man, I hear ya... Go for the bigger pay, and this is why I say that. I've been working on A2's now for about 9 months, before that I was working on regular A's, and before those, AMF 82/30's. The best thing about the A2's from the AMF's, were, the A2's are completely mechanical, everything works w/everything else.. It's amazing to me how smart these people had to be to build these machines, but as for workin on em, it might take a little while to get used to them, but all-in-all, I think you'll find that the A2's are more pleasurable to debugging than your GSX's.

Another plus is you said there are 2 other mechanics at this center, meaning you'll get a good training. Could've been like my center, when I started, the mechanic had just quit, hmmmm...

lol, I say take the job... But that's just me [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Quote:]Originally posted by madmouse_99:
          I am a GSX mechanic, one year's experience, no experience in A2's. Our competition has A2's and they offered me a job, more money, etc. I was wondering, are A2's hard to learn??? I am used to plastic parts and computer technology. The GSX and A2's are worlds apart. I am a lone mechanic in a 16 lane house and the A2 house is 32 lanes with 2 other mechanics. Any info will be appreciated.[/QUOTE]

Comment

well... go for the bucks... I agree with above... two other guys there will probably help you learn... GSX is not very Mechanic Friendly... But A-2's look a bit more complex... When in reality, an A-2 is quite simple... If you have any mechanical inclination, you will learn the A-2's quite easily...

Good Luck..
            Hman
            Machines are better than people... I can fix a machine...

Comment

madmouse,
              Needless to say money is always important and if the difference in money is enough then you might have to go for it but I can tell you from years of experience on a/2 and some AMF experience to that the GSX machines are a whole lot easier the either the amf or a/2.That is not to say that you cannot learn them because of course you can but make no mistake about it they are a whole lot tougher overall.The adjustments are more critical,you have a gearbox to deal with etc.
              Good luck which ever way you go.

Comment

three mechanics in a 32 lane house?

not my kinda idea of fun

what I would do is tell whoever yer werkin for now that more money is involved and ask em what they wanna do...Im sure GSX's run better that A-2s ....how much more money...who knows how much ...where can ya better yerself in the future...I changed places of work for one reason ...I felt more respected at where Im at now...but then are mechanics respected....try to get a feel of what is really offered at the other place and see where ya fit in better..but then this is my opinion

Comment

as far as A-2's go there is quite a bit of theory involved. Learning the theory of the machine will take you a long way. Also there are sequences for every operation of the machine, learning those will improve your troubleshooting skills 100%. I personally went to school on the A-2 and learned some valuable things that I would not have been taught otherwise. A-2's are a challenging machine to learn, but once you learn the theory of the machine they are not so bad. I believe a properly maintained A-2 (I might be opening up a can of worms here) will outperform any machine. Not much plastic here just steel!

Jerrid [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif[/img]

[ June 18, 2001: Message edited by: jerrid ]
                  and then he said, "on your death bed, you will receive total consciousness" so I got that going for me...... which is nice!

Comment

Jerrid,
                    Have you ever worked on a GSX machine?
                    I'm not looking to open a can of worms either,needless to say any machine which is not properly maintained well run poorly however after 30 years on a/2 and a year now on GSX machines I can assure you that the GSX runs fewer calls then the average A/2. Not to say that the A/2 is not a great machine because it is but I would never want to go back to it.

Comment

David,
                      No I have never worked on a GSX (maybe I was a little out of line with that statement) the reasoning behind my call are that A-2's are built like a tank. There is a fellow Brunswick center across town with GS-10's, it seems he is always complaining about the quality of the parts and flimsy steel used to build them. He has actually had to fabricate some of his parts with a wire feed welder and some tubular steel because they have been discontinued. His are about 10 years old and he has a hard time just keeping them together. My A-2's are a little over 20 years old and have been abused and neglected the last 10 years and are still pretty solid. Being an A-2 mechanic I guess im a little biased about the machines. I apologize if I offended anyone, I have no doubt that any properly maintained machine will run very well. It just seems to me that A-2s will take more abuse than the other machines and keep running. Just my opinion guys. If im wrong please correct me, I would love to hear what you other mechanics think on the matter.

Respectfully
                      Jerrid
                      and then he said, "on your death bed, you will receive total consciousness" so I got that going for me...... which is nice!

Comment

Quote:]Just my opinion guys. If im wrong please correct me, I would love to hear what you other mechanics think on the matter[/QUOTE]

Hey Jerrid, good thing Chads in school this week! LOL [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif[/img]

Charlie [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img]
                        Please buy MADE IN USA!

Comment

I thought the forums have been kinda *ahem* quiet this week :P

Jerrid

Comment

I think it would be a great decision to move to the A2 house because if you have knowledge in both GSX and A2 you will always have a job. With 2 other mech at the A2 center you should be able to catch on quick with your knowledge of the GSX pinsetter.

Doug [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif[/img]

Comment

A's/A2's ARE IT

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                              widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Rake sweeping out of time, and pin launching onto lane.

I work on some nice old Brunswick A-2 pin setters. Most issues I've come across haven't been to problematic to figure out. But being I can't seem to get it to recreate the issue...

Strange sweep problem

I’m a rookie mechanic and have been working on pinsetters for 2 years. One of my lanes has a problem with a sweep possibly coasting. I don’t know what could be causing it...

GSX Distributor shaft bearings

Two part topic:
                              1. Plastic bearing (#66) used in place of regular sealed bearing (#51) -- thoughts?

2. ANY of these bearings with the black support mount...

The Legacy of the A2

I was recently disheartened to learn that a bowling center that I once serviced was actively looking to replace their A2's. I understand that most military bases and educational...

Table turning on short stroke.

Hello dear Bowltech members.
                              First let me say thank you for your time. am plagued by a big issue for three weeks now.
                              our technician is working full time on another...

Another pivot bearing broke.

One and a half year old GSX machines. This will be the 5th pivot bearing that has broke. This one decided to take out a few things with it. Snapped the stroke limiter shock stud...
                              Working...
                              X