TOTY

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shag Carpet

Is there anything wrong with using shag carpeting on the shaker board instead of something from Quality or Murray. My former Head Mech used shag and we had no problems. The new guy uses these things and we have all sorts of pin moving problems.
    "I like you. You shall die a painless death when I take over the world." Stewie Griffin

Re: Shag Carpet

the problem with using these store bought carpets is that the pile is not as tight as with the bruns. carpet and they tend to get matted down in a hurry not to mention in the impact area you get alot of holes because with the thin pile it cant absorb the ball impact and it's been my experience that it will also shorten the life of your pit boards as well if you dont want to pay o.e.m.
    prices then check out scripps northstar they've got a carpet they claim as good as bruns. and alot cheaper.
    hope this helps,
    brunsmechanic
    GOOD LUCK EVERYONE

Comment

hey kid, you from kansas city mo?

Comment

Problem that I see with shag would be that it has a lot more places for dirt and small metal slivers to hide out, and you'd have some ball contact with the carpet backing because the weave is not as tight.

Pin transport problems usually come from not cleaning carpets often enough. Best way is to have one or two spare boards and rotate them out for cleaning. An oily, dirty, matted carpet won't move pins well, a clean one, the pins will fight each other trying to get in the wheel first.

We clean ours twice a year once in september right after re-surfacing, and once in may. If I had a room with a floor drain, I'd swap them out mid-season, but in NY, you can't exactly use a pressure washer outside in the middle of winter:

Kevin

Comment

jayhawk,

I'm From Kansas City. You know Russ Coll?

I mean the really dense, thick carpet. Sorry about the mix up.
          "I like you. You shall die a painless death when I take over the world." Stewie Griffin

Comment

I used shag carpeting at the old center i was at and it was great.I used the short nap carpet not the thick pile carpet,my carpet covers stuck great to these short nap carpets and don't mash down badly.Had to use that carpet since owner did not want to spend $$ on original styles.Up to this day those short nap style carpets are just super! Been in those machines for 2+years now,NO problems.,just glue them down good.Probably could use a Berber carpet if you wanted,the pile is just as short as the originals and it's a tight nap.Just check to see if the carpet covers stick to them first.It only cost me about $25.00for a remnent carpet and i got enough to do 3 pit boards.Backing material is important too,you may want to lay glue on it,let it dry, THEN re-glue it so first gluing grabs onto backing real good.,do that and with the right carpet you should have no troubles for a LONG time.(used to install carpeting a long time ago). [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

yeah i know russ, he helped me learn on the gs 98. do you work out at pro bowl with him or somthing? if you talk to him again tell hiim to give me a call sometime or come out to park and hangout for a little while, ive been tryin to get ahold of him and see whats new. askem if he knows curtis

Comment

Not to mention that the shag would fray and get caught up in everything (always nice to have a grove on the ball wheel guide roller from carpet fraying) but the backing on most store purchased carpet doesn't hold up. I have tried both and think the carpets made for the industry hold the glue better and don't have a tendency to separate from the binding. When we purchased the center shampooer we added the upholstery kit and it does a great job of extracting and leaves the carpet with little moister and if you shampoo them with the upholstery kit you don't have to remove them from the machine.

Drill
                Drill

David Bolt
                Champaign, IL
                USBC Silver Coach
                IBPSIA BOD
                IBPSIA Advanced
                Technical Certified
                Pro Shops

Comment

i buy the cheapest carpets scripps sell and they are holding up great so far ,some are 3 years old.

Comment

I have tried shag,the green turf and just about everything else you can think of and always ended up going back to the original type carpets.Murry has them as well as brunswick ,quality and scripps.The other types alway seem ok at first but down the road you almost always have problems of some sort.

Comment

hey dave i tried that green indoor outdoor stuff myself that was a big freakin mistake , wouldn't you agree! [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

yes,green turf=big mistake

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                        widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Ball Returns Shorted Out?

Ok, I just had one of my company's centers in Florida reach out for help with this issue, and I wasn't able to help them over our chat, so I'm hoping you guys can help shed some...

Trip rocker arm

What causes the trip rocker arm to not line up with the trip rod? Carriage tubing is not bent and all eccentrics are brand new.
                        I understand I can bend the rocker arm a...

Lower ball cushion board

Just wondering if this is the normal way that these boards go over time? Am i missing something?
                        Pit curtains are in "reasonable" condition if that means anything...

Backend motor plug

What is the name of the power plug and socket on the back-end motor?

Some of ours are breaking from impacts from repeated pile-ups and need to be replaced....

82/70 combi motors

Hi guys, got a few of these Lewus solid state start switches and wondering if we could make use of them on our combi motors. I've seen they aren't recommended for combi motors...

Deck lowering hook cam follower lever

I have a machine that has broken the cam follower arm for the deck lowering hook on the 2 to 1 twice in a couple weeks. I've overnighted the part so i can change it tomorrow....
                        Working...
                        X