Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motor contactor

Lately one of my pinsetter have started to flicker. When I turn it on, the contactor will not quite close and it will flicker momentarely. Then during play it will do it ever so often. I know it could be several problems. Have cleaned all contacts. Its an A-2, field converted. Federal Pacific contactor. How about some input about best logical solution. Thanks PJ
    I'm going fishing and camping!

Re: Motor contactor

Here's what I'd start with:

Pull the main power plug and tighten/check all screws on both terminal strips, the breaker, and the contactor (this check, and vacuuming out the box, should be done as part of the annual part of your PM).

If the breaker is one of the stab connection types (older machines like 20,000 range) be sure that the bottom connections on the breaker are making good contact, I've got one that liked to work loose ...

Inspect the wiring that goes to the turret/deck jam switches (have seen a cc belt almost saw the wiring in half)

Turn machine on and tap on the electrical box underneath the motor start relay (a weak MSR can cause this, too)

With machine on, wiggle all wiring to masking unit and manager's line to see if you have a loose/partially broken wire.

If the machine flickers at the same time the deck shifts to set new pins, cable tube springs could be weak, or dj switch slightly mis-adjusted.

Hope something here helps:

Kevin

[ July 19, 2001: Message edited by: KL Kevin ]

Comment

You might want to also make sure that your turret jam microswich adjustment has not loosened up.
      41 years and still learning....
      lanedoctor@hotmail.com

Comment

Kevin once again offered some great advice, I would make sure you check all micro switches if it's not the contactor.

Drill
        Drill

David Bolt
        Champaign, IL
        USBC Silver Coach
        IBPSIA BOD
        IBPSIA Advanced
        Technical Certified
        Pro Shops

Comment

PJ:
          All good advise; would also check the overcenter springs in the motor start relay.
          With power disconnected, gently push down on phenolic of motor start and observe whether springs snap point up, (the springs tend to get lazy). This allows points to misconnect.
          Hope of some help.
          Roscoe.

Comment

Quote:]Originally posted by KL Kevin:
            Here's what I'd start with:

Pull the main power plug and tighten/check all screws on both terminal strips, the breaker, and the contactor (this check, and vacuuming out the box, should be done as part of the annual part of your PM).
            DONE THAT!
            If the breaker is one of the stab connection types (older machines like 20,000 range) be sure that the bottom connections on the breaker are making good contact, I've got one that liked to work loose ...
            CHECKED!
            Inspect the wiring that goes to the turret/deck jam switches (have seen a cc belt almost saw the wiring in half)
            DONE!
            Turn machine on and tap on the electrical box underneath the motor start relay (a weak MSR can cause this, too)
            TAPPED JUST SLIGHTLY AND THE RELAY LOST CONNECTION. CHANGED RELAY WITH A NEW ONE. STILL DOES IT BUT I HAVE TO TAP IT HARDER. THE SPRING IN THE OLD RELAY WERE WEAK!
            With machine on, wiggle all wiring to masking unit and manager's line to see if you have a loose/partially broken wire.
            CHECKED ALL WIRES!
            If the machine flickers at the same time the deck shifts to set new pins, cable tube springs could be weak, or dj switch slightly mis-adjusted.
            IT ONLY FLICKERS WHEN I FIRST TURN IT ON AND SOMETIMES DURING PLAY!
            Hope something here helps:

Kevin

[ July 19, 2001: Message edited by: KL Kevin ]
            [/QUOTE]

THANKS KEVIN FOR YOUR HELP, MAYBE IT IS THE CONTACTOR OR THE TRANSFORMER? WHERE IT ALL STARTED, THE MOTOR OVERHEATED AND THE OVERLOAD KICKED OUT. AFTER COOLING OFF I TRIED TO RESET IT WOULDN'T. HAD TO PULL OUT THE BIMETAL WITH A SCREWDRIVER. THANKS PJ

Comment

PJ:

What do you mean by "pull out" ... did you have to bend it back into shape or remove totally??

If you had to bend it, odds are it's shot, and at that point, unless yours are replaceable, it sounds like the contactor and overload need to be replaced.

In general, transformers are go/no go, they either work or they don't.

The first rule of troubleshooting: When something stops working that worked for a long time, look for WHAT CHANGED in the system. You'll get there a lot quicker ...

Kevin

Comment

if you have subway ball returns make sure you check the wires down there , ihad the same basic problem last year and that is where the answer was!!!!!!! [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif[/img] [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Quote:]Originally posted by lanedoctor:
                  You might want to also make sure that your turret jam microswich adjustment has not loosened up.[/QUOTE]

Check the rods that support the front of the turret. I have had pinchasers grab them to pull themselves up, bending them slightly in the middle, kind of giving them a spring action that causes the turret jam microswitch to chatter which in turn causes the start relay and contactor to chatter. Usually the right rod gets bent on the odd lane and the left rod gets bent on the even lane.

Ken

Comment

Quote:]Originally posted by KL Kevin:
                    PJ:

What do you mean by "pull out" ... did you have to bend it back into shape or remove totally??

If you had to bend it, odds are it's shot, and at that point, unless yours are replaceable, it sounds like the contactor and overload need to be replaced.

In general, transformers are go/no go, they either work or they don't.

The first rule of troubleshooting: When something stops working that worked for a long time, look for WHAT CHANGED in the system. You'll get there a lot quicker ...

Kevin
                    [/QUOTE]

I found what happened. The reset plunger in the overload is broken and it wouldn't release the the flat plunger that is attached to bi-metal. The slot where the bi-metal is attached is also broken and had to pull it out with a pair of needle nose. New contactor on order! Thanks for all your help. This web site is just like television, how did we ever get along without it. I wish it was here 18 years ago. PJ

Comment

First of all, thanks for all the help. You are all great. Installed my new contactor, and between the old FP and an old one I had in the shop was able to create a good one. Thanks again PJ

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                      widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Approach Wear - DBA IQ/Anvilane

Our approach panels have a lot of wear at the joint between the first approach panel and the approach/heads panel. Nearly every one has the printed image worn through to various...

Rake sweeping out of time, and pin launching onto lane.

I work on some nice old Brunswick A-2 pin setters. Most issues I've come across haven't been to problematic to figure out. But being I can't seem to get it to recreate the issue...

Strange sweep problem

I’m a rookie mechanic and have been working on pinsetters for 2 years. One of my lanes has a problem with a sweep possibly coasting. I don’t know what could be causing it...

GSX Distributor shaft bearings

Two part topic:
                      1. Plastic bearing (#66) used in place of regular sealed bearing (#51) -- thoughts?

2. ANY of these bearings with the black support mount...

The Legacy of the A2

I was recently disheartened to learn that a bowling center that I once serviced was actively looking to replace their A2's. I understand that most military bases and educational...

Table turning on short stroke.

Hello dear Bowltech members.
                      First let me say thank you for your time. am plagued by a big issue for three weeks now.
                      our technician is working full time on another...
                      Working...
                      X