Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a2 books

anyone out there got any A2 manuals they don't need? I cannot purchase them from a book store and the only way I can get them so far is from our distributor and they send them to my center. Our new manager inspects all packages coming in and if he sees a A2 book he will kick my A$$.

need to get them shipped to my home.

Re: a2 books

Just a question....

Why would your boss kick your a$$ if he saw a manual come into your center???

I don't see anyone wanting to get rid of their book....

Comment

Sorry to jump in here, coasterking, but I'd like to give this a guess. Here it is:

Dude, he's got one of those cheapskate bean counter owners. Most of us have worked for or heard of them. This is the guy (chain) that allows a nickel budget per month. Then, he wants to know exactly where you spent his nickel. Knowledge isn't worth it. So, if our man coasterking tries to slide a book in for his nickel allowance (they're $68.00 in PAPERBACK), The Man will look in his box and give him hell because there's no trust. Penny is King!

Gotta spend it to make it, man. Get a grip and trust your leaders / delegates. If you knew what it takes, you wouldn't be payin' me wouldja?

Then again, he could be co-owner with his wife. I can't fix that!

(or, he's the GS guy contemplating the A-2 move) sheesh.

coasterking, e-mail me and we'll talk about getting you a "nused" book. Interesting (cheap) trades considered.

Be good, play nice!

[ September 07, 2001: Message edited by: Jogger Link ]

Comment

Lemme clear this up real quick:

Of course the owner deserves to know where his money is spent. My point is that he should be reasonable in trusting his mechanic to make rational decisions regarding his money.

Too many aren't.

Comment

You are in luck. I am about halfway finished with scanning my pinsetter manual, and converting it to a Adobe Acrobat .pdf document.
          I'll be putting it on CD when I'm done. If you are interested, let me know.
          I've also just started doing the same with the parts catalog.

[ September 11, 2001: Message edited by: Gawron ]
          Idiocracy

Comment

Is that legal? I mean, what about copyright infringement? I can see making a copy for personal use, but to distribute it? Do copyrights on technical information expire as patents and song copyrights do?

Sorry to be a party pooper. I just need to know.

Comment

Quote:]Originally posted by Gawron:
              You are in luck. I am about halfway finished with scanning my pinsetter manual, and converting it to a Adobe Acrobat .pdf document.[/QUOTE]

Way ahead of you. I'm in the process of proofreading mine. (Kinda slow going -- I'm comparing to my original scans, and I can only do about ten or twenty pages at a time before my eyes start to glaze over.)

A bit of advice -- do *NOT* let Distiller sample your images at 72dpi. The smaller resolutions saves a hell of a lot of space, but they'll also look like crap, especially when they're printed out. Leave them at their original resolution, preferably no less than 300dpi. (Example: my original file with the downsampled images was approximately 10 megabytes. The newer one with the high-res images totals 145 megabytes.)

Comment

Quote:]Originally posted by Jogger Link:
                Is that legal?[/QUOTE]

[darth sidious]

"I will make it legal."

[/darth sidious]

[SLAP] Sorry. I'm better now.

To answer your question: probably not, but thanks to the DMCA (Digital Millennium Copyright Act) there really isn't that much that is anymore...

Quote:]I mean, what about copyright infringement?[/QUOTE]

Probably doesn't mean much, but I don't remember seeing any copyright notices in the book to begin with.

Quote:]Do copyrights on technical information expire as patents and song copyrights do?[/QUOTE]

IANAL, but I would imagine so. Consult your local patent/copyright attorney.

[ September 10, 2001: Message edited by: Mok ]

Comment

Originally posted by Mok:
                  [darth sidious]

I will make it legal.

[darth sidious]

LOL
                  Cool quote dude!!!
                  <span style="font-style: italic">Sometimes it is best to use good advice from many individuals to achieve the ultimate result.</span>

Comment

I did a search on the US Copyright Office Website, and although this is less than a conprehensive search, there is no listing on the site for neither the Pinsetter Manual, or the catalog.
                    As far as distribution, I am not selling it, just sharing it.
                    Regarding the quality of the document I'm creating, this is my first time using Adobe. I simply scanning the pages, then adding them to the document as I go. Crude I know, but I plan on refining the document as I learn more about the program. My original scans are 300dpi. I did not use the distiller. Half way through, and I'm only at 100mB. There will be plenty of room to spare on the CD. I should have enough room to add a copy of the Acrobat Reader for anyone who has not taken the time to install it on their system. The fold out pages were too big for my scanner, so I had to reduce them on a copy machine. When I added these pages to the document, the index numbers were impossible to read. I used the zoom tool to read them, and they looked great.

Idiocracy

Comment

As far as distribution, I am not selling it, just sharing it.[/QUOTE]

That argument didn't fly for mp3.com, nor for Napster.

Quote:]Regarding the quality of the document I'm creating, this is my first time using Adobe.[/QUOTE]

Adobe *what*? Distiller? Pagemaker? Photoshop?

Quote:]I simply scanning the pages, then adding them to the document as I go. Crude I know, but I plan on refining the document as I learn more about the program.[/QUOTE]

I took a different approach, but I'm a computer geek...

Step one: scan the pages (256 gray scale, except for those diagrams that actually had color -- section five, if memory serves).

Step two: OCR the text into machine readable form with Omnipage Pro.

Step three: Import the text into WordPerfect 8. Cut and paste the figures from the original scans using Paint Shop Pro. Only did ten pages at a time because the graphics ballooned the file size to over twenty megabytes for each ten page chunk.

Step four: install a color postscript printer driver (in my case, the Lexmark Optra 40, because it supports color) and redirect its output to a file.

Step five: modify the sample postscript file provided by Distiller to automatically parse the postscript files generated by WordPerfect, and create a single PDF file.

Quote:]My original scans are 300dpi. I did not use the distiller.[/QUOTE]

If you're creating a PDF file, you're using Distiller. Even if it's being invoked from another application, you're using Distiller. BTW, did you scan in 256 grays or 2-bit black and white/line art?

Quote:]Half way through, and I'm only at 100mB. There will be plenty of room to spare on the CD.[/QUOTE]

If I were to put the finished product on the CD by itself, I would also have plenty of room available. However, I also put the original scans, OCR text, postscript files and WordPerfect documents so that I would be able to regenerate the pdf file, and even the postscript files if necessary. Yes, I'm paranoid.

Quote:]The fold out pages were too big for my scanner, so I had to reduce them on a copy machine.[/QUOTE]

I did overlapping scans instead.

Quote:]When I added these pages to the document, the index numbers were impossible to read. I used the zoom tool to read them, and they looked great.[/QUOTE]

There's a setting in the reader that will tell it to display "greek text" below a certain point size. Try setting it to two pixels and see what happens.

[ September 11, 2001: Message edited by: Mok ]

Comment

Any chance of an AMFer from Australia getting a copy when it's finished???

I have a 70's manual, and a 30's manual scanned, but have no CD burner yet..........hopefully for Christmas
                        http://www.youtube.com/androo300

Comment

Quote:]Originally posted by AMF Androo:
                          Any chance of an AMFer from Australia getting a copy when it's finished???

I have a 70's manual, and a 30's manual scanned,
                          [/QUOTE]

I'll take those... [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif[/img] You got broadband over there? FTP site? I got DSL at work...

Quote:]but have no CD burner yet..........hopefully for Christmas[/QUOTE]

They're getting cheap here. A slow one can be had for less than US$100. Faster ones can run up to about US$200. Know anybody that's visiting California? I work at a computer store... [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Betas me about that stuff......The computer that I have them on, ain't this one......AND IT SUCKS...

Unfourtunatly, just gonna have to wait for my burner.........pretty cheap here to ATM
                            http://www.youtube.com/androo300

Comment

I did a search on the US Copyright Office Website, and although this is less than a conprehensive search, there is no listing on the site for neither the Pinsetter Manual, or the catalog.
                              As far as distribution, I am not selling it, just sharing it.
                              Regarding the quality of the document I'm creating, this is my first time using Adobe. I simply scanning the pages, then adding them to the document as I go. Crude I know, but I plan on refining the document as I learn more about the program. My original scans are 300dpi. I did not use the distiller. Half way through, and I'm only at 100mB. There will be plenty of room to spare on the CD. I should have enough room to add a copy of the Acrobat Reader for anyone who has not taken the time to install it on their system. The fold out pages were too big for my scanner, so I had to reduce them on a copy machine. When I added these pages to the document, the index numbers were impossible to read. I used the zoom tool to read them, and they looked great.

[/QUOTE]

help me please.... i need a copy....many thanks

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                              widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Rake sweeping out of time, and pin launching onto lane.

I work on some nice old Brunswick A-2 pin setters. Most issues I've come across haven't been to problematic to figure out. But being I can't seem to get it to recreate the issue...

Strange sweep problem

I’m a rookie mechanic and have been working on pinsetters for 2 years. One of my lanes has a problem with a sweep possibly coasting. I don’t know what could be causing it...

GSX Distributor shaft bearings

Two part topic:
                              1. Plastic bearing (#66) used in place of regular sealed bearing (#51) -- thoughts?

2. ANY of these bearings with the black support mount...

The Legacy of the A2

I was recently disheartened to learn that a bowling center that I once serviced was actively looking to replace their A2's. I understand that most military bases and educational...

Table turning on short stroke.

Hello dear Bowltech members.
                              First let me say thank you for your time. am plagued by a big issue for three weeks now.
                              our technician is working full time on another...

Another pivot bearing broke.

One and a half year old GSX machines. This will be the 5th pivot bearing that has broke. This one decided to take out a few things with it. Snapped the stroke limiter shock stud...
                              Working...
                              X