Adsense Classic 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rake Spring Tube

I just had to remove a rake spring tube because the x-washer pin that secures it to the rake arm had sheared and the tube end was rubbing against the arm. Needless to say the tube end is trashed. Does anyone have a safe way of disassembling the tube so that I can replace the end? I know about the tool that Quality makes but I thought there might be another way.

Re: Rake Spring Tube

Quote:]Originally posted by Anchorman:
    I just had to remove a rake spring tube because the x-washer pin that secures it to the rake arm had sheared and the tube end was rubbing against the arm. Needless to say the tube end is trashed. Does anyone have a safe way of disassembling the tube so that I can replace the end? I know about the tool that Quality makes but I thought there might be another way.[/QUOTE]

I have used a come along and all thread to disassemble and reassemble the spring guide tube assy. many years ago , but the internal spring was broken and it was easier to remove and a job to reassemble the replacement spring . I would recommend purchasing the tool to safely repair the assembly.

Comment

Ditto.

Comment

If a piece of threaded rod is good enough to hold it together to install and remove, it's good enough to use for disassembly. Just make sure the rod is long enough to take most of the tension off before you come to the end of the rod. I did a couple that way but even with a ratcheting box end wrench it took a while. When I found out I had to do all 24 pinsetters I made an unreasonable facsimile of the Quality tool out of a ratchet type bumper jack and an I-beam that is holding up the roof of the building.

Comment

Quote:]Originally posted by mr.badwrench:
          If a piece of threaded rod is good enough to hold it together to install and remove, it's good enough to use for disassembly. Just make sure the rod is long enough to take most of the tension off before you come to the end of the rod. I did a couple that way but even with a ratcheting box end wrench it took a while. When I found out I had to do all 24 pinsetters I made an unreasonable facsimile of the Quality tool out of a ratchet type bumper jack and an I-beam that is holding up the roof of the building.[/QUOTE]

Only one problem with that. I already have it off of the machine! It sounds like I will have to buy the tool from Quality. I just thought that for as long as A-2's have been around there must have been another way at some time or another.

Comment

I have held the two pieces of the tube together by squeezing them in the vise. Just squeeze them enough to keep the tube from coming apart. Squeezing them too much will deform the tubes. You can check to see if the vise is tight enough by loosening the nut on the threaded rod. If the tube expands, the tighten the vise a bit more. I have also used this method for swapping threaded rods(shorter for longer).
            Whatever you do though, DO NOT stand at either end of the tube while the threaded rod is not on the assembly. I've never had an accident using this method, but you can never be too careful.
            Idiocracy

Comment

I've done the spring guide tube thing two ways in the past:

Especially for disassembly: If you've got a sturdy door that opens into your shop and it's close enough to an inside corner, you can do the following: Screw a piece of 4 X 4 through the door near the floor. Next, lay the tube in position with one end in the "corner" you just made on the door and the other end in the existing corner. Use your body against the door to compress / control the spring as you remove your allthread. Obviously, you'll want to be extremely careful to keep yourself out of the direct line of fire.

Especially for reassembly: 2 guys can run a rake sweep link through one end cap while steadying the other end at the base of a wall or bench. The two guys can lean on the rod until the allthread shows enough of itself to accept a nut. Be careful here as well.

Just be careful. It's never been fun and it's always been dangerous.

Comment

Gentlemen:
                Be advised there is enough stored energy in a compressed tube assembly to send front part of the tube as well as the spring, all the way to the front of the concourse. This is an area where trying to save 25 to 30 dollars is absoutley insane. Buy a 3/16 cable, single action come along, with two 3/8 eyebolts in the ends of the tube.
                You can change tube, rake or deck at any position with this most essential of tools
                JMO
                Roscoe

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
                widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Rake sweeping out of time, and pin launching onto lane.

I work on some nice old Brunswick A-2 pin setters. Most issues I've come across haven't been to problematic to figure out. But being I can't seem to get it to recreate the issue...

Strange sweep problem

I’m a rookie mechanic and have been working on pinsetters for 2 years. One of my lanes has a problem with a sweep possibly coasting. I don’t know what could be causing it...

GSX Distributor shaft bearings

Two part topic:
                1. Plastic bearing (#66) used in place of regular sealed bearing (#51) -- thoughts?

2. ANY of these bearings with the black support mount...

The Legacy of the A2

I was recently disheartened to learn that a bowling center that I once serviced was actively looking to replace their A2's. I understand that most military bases and educational...

Table turning on short stroke.

Hello dear Bowltech members.
                First let me say thank you for your time. am plagued by a big issue for three weeks now.
                our technician is working full time on another...

Another pivot bearing broke.

One and a half year old GSX machines. This will be the 5th pivot bearing that has broke. This one decided to take out a few things with it. Snapped the stroke limiter shock stud...
                Working...
                X