Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Active, Neutral, Earth???

Hi all,

Need help on this one Just put new pit light in and red wire is connected to earth??? (using red, black and white 3 core cable)and a couple of my solenoids are the same

Here in Australia we have different wiring standards as you can see below our active was red and this leads to my concern that the red wire is connected to earth

Old Standard

Active = <font color=red>Red</font>
    Neutral = <font color=black>Black</font>
    Earth = <font color=Green>Green</font>

New Standard

Active = <font color=brown>Brown</font>
    Neutral = <font color=Blue>Blue</font>
    Earth = <font color=green>Green</font>/<font color=yellow>Yellow</font>

So what should should be my Active, Neutral and Earth colors using the Black, Red and White cables

Any help would be appreciated

[ October 08, 2001: Message edited by: Grease_Monkey ]

Re: Active, Neutral, Earth???

HELLO GREASE MONKEY,
    YOU GOT ME THINKING WITH THAT SCHEME. I'M USED TO BLACK, WHITE , &amp; GREEN.
    BLACK BEING ACTIVE OR LIVE WE CALL IT, WHITE BEING NEUTRAL, GREEN BEING EARTH OR AS WE CALL IT GROUND. HOPE IT HELPS.
    DO A NEAT CLEAN JOB, AND FIX IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME. THE ONLY WAY TO WORK.

Comment

*** disclaimer: I have not seen the installation in question, and have no way of making a safe assessment of such. the following is an opinion only.

sounds a bit strange to me, but it may well be right. Where did you get the light fitting from?
      To the best of my (admittedly incomplete) knowledge, one of the american wiring standards uses black, white, and green - black active, white neutral, and green earth. if the red wire is the only difference in your case, and it is supplied connected to earth, it may be right, and if solenoids have been supplied the same way, it seems even more certain.

I'd still be doing some visual or electrical checks to verify this, but I have electrical experience, you may not feel competent to do this. If you get on well with an electrician, you could try to phone for some advice. He may have come across such a situation and be able to answer more authoritatively.

This is the big hassle with importing equipment - 220v equipment made for US is wired to different standards than our (aussie) 240v. Normally when we have to replace pit lights, we go to the local electrical wholesaler and buy a standard fluro batten unwired, and use the cable off the old light. Many of our machines have also had the old cannons for the pit light replaced with standard 240v sockets.

Comment

Hello Grease Monkey, I have the same setup on my Japanese pin lights. The black wire is the ground(earth), the white is neutral, and red is active. I learned this the hard way, it doesn't work using the red as ground as I first thought so I kept blowing the fuses. Hope this helps!

Comment

Thanks,

I didnt think that earth should be red. Will be changing that before someone gets hurt.

ivicic: I know what you mean, when we connected it the same as yours (before posting) it blew the circuit breaker on the rear wall [img]/content/btubb/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif[/img] That is what prompted me to post this question in the first place. Red wire is actually connected to ground

My pinsetter light was new and is wired to Australian Standards (brown, blue, green/yellow). Sorry to those that misunderstood.

[ October 11, 2001: Message edited by: Grease_Monkey ]

Comment

Topic Starter RibbonScript

Collapse

Adsense Classic 2

Collapse
          widgetinstance 666 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

Rake sweeping out of time, and pin launching onto lane.

I work on some nice old Brunswick A-2 pin setters. Most issues I've come across haven't been to problematic to figure out. But being I can't seem to get it to recreate the issue...

Strange sweep problem

I’m a rookie mechanic and have been working on pinsetters for 2 years. One of my lanes has a problem with a sweep possibly coasting. I don’t know what could be causing it...

GSX Distributor shaft bearings

Two part topic:
          1. Plastic bearing (#66) used in place of regular sealed bearing (#51) -- thoughts?

2. ANY of these bearings with the black support mount...

The Legacy of the A2

I was recently disheartened to learn that a bowling center that I once serviced was actively looking to replace their A2's. I understand that most military bases and educational...

Table turning on short stroke.

Hello dear Bowltech members.
          First let me say thank you for your time. am plagued by a big issue for three weeks now.
          our technician is working full time on another...

Another pivot bearing broke.

One and a half year old GSX machines. This will be the 5th pivot bearing that has broke. This one decided to take out a few things with it. Snapped the stroke limiter shock stud...
          Working...
          X